minimum aperture 9.5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 7th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #1
Major Player

minimum aperture 9.5?

according to the canon specs minimum aperture is f16 - but the actual minimum is 9.5

why would canon do this?

anyone tried using shutter speeds higher than 1/60 - with normal action in front of the lens (weddings) how fast a shutter speed can you use before it is noticeable?
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Major Player

The sensors on the XL-H1 chip are spaced so close together that the width of the Airy pattern (the spread pattern for a true point source) is comparable to the spacing at apertures in the f/5.6 - f/8 region. Canon thus limits the aperture of the lens on the XL-H1 so that it can't be operated in the "diffraction limited" region. If the lens is fitted to a SD camera with the same size chip the sensors are farther apart and the lens can be stopped down further without the lens's diffraction being the limiting effect (sensor spacing on the chip is the limiting effect in such a case).
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Also, the lenses available for 1/3" cameras don't do well when stopped down too far.. I use the 20x and the 16x and NEVER shoot closed down more than f4.

I just finished a medium high-end corporate (I don't usually like to do them, but they pay the bills - nearly a years worth in this case) and shot the entire show at 1.6 - 2, even though I had a full crew and HMIs.. I used the 16x lens - because I wanted shallow depth-of-field and needed the follow-focus - and it looks terrific - very happy client.

If you are shooting in bright situations, use NDs or a polarizer. focusing is more critical, but the result is superior...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Is there a jpeg of what this looks like?
Roy Beazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
Also, the lenses available for 1/3" cameras don't do well when stopped down too far.. I use the 20x and the 16x and NEVER shoot closed down more than f4.
Sorry to disappoint you mate, but the DVX/HVX goes down to F16 and is not only crystal clear, but has a wider "sweet spot" between f5 and f13.
As for not doing so well, I would have to disagree with you there.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I really thought the sweet spot on all lenses was F8.....including slr's which I shoot the other 50% of my time....

This censor stuff is a trip...kinda above my head....
Roy Beazley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders