DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 27th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Major Player

6 second gaps at start/stop with HDV Capture & FCP

Has anyone figured out a way to eleminate the 6 second dropouts between subclips while capturing with the HDV codec?

I'm still using AIC as a work around but I'm wondering if anyone has figured this problem out or contacted Apple for support.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Scott.

I've given a suggested workaround for replacing those missing first seconds of footage in post #48 of the sticky thread "FCP 5.1.2 NOW AVAILABLE with 720P24 & 720P25 native support". This would at least enable you to work in an HDV 720p sequence rather than AIC.

But I don't have a solution for why FCP won't capture those early seconds in the first place.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

do you have scene detection turned off? please turn it on and your problem will be fixed.
Lee Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Actually, turning off scene detection doesn't help. I had the same problem for a while. Checked with Apple, checked with JVC. Both acknowledged that it's an issue with the way the TC blips when you start/stop the camera. Neither really presented a solution.

At this point, for anything I've shot event-style, I just use AIC.
Ben Brainerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

New clips without start and stop

Here's one for ya. I have the same problem as well. Doesn't matter what setting when capturing HDV, it will always start a new clip at start/stop. No problem I guess, I've heard that's how HDV works. My problem is that sometimes when capturing, FCP will start capturing subclips even when there is no start stop of TC breaks. I've checked frame by frame for dropouts or anything, it just seems that it does it when it feels like it. Evren tape drop outs won't trigger the new clip I've found. I really hope that the 5.1.2 update will fix these problems.

Does anyone else have this problem?

thanks,
Brian
Brian Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Chow
Doesn't matter what setting when capturing HDV, it will always start a new clip at start/stop. No problem I guess, I've heard that's how HDV works.
not with canon. it captures clips if you turn it on, or it captures one big file if you turn it off. xlh1 users are not having any problems. jvc has a new update released. if you install this all will work.
Lee Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Brian,

If you look in one of the tabs in the capture window, there is a checkbox marked "create new clip on stop/start" turn this off.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco
Has anyone figured out a way to eleminate the 6 second dropouts between subclips while capturing with the HDV codec?
Scott. If you look at the descriptions for the Presets (Audio/Video settings, click on the "Device control presets" tab ) you'll see that FCP explicitly declares a 5 second preroll and 3 second postroll for HDV Firewire. Duplicate the preset wih a new name, edit it and change the values for post/pre-roll. Don't know if it will work but that's where it is. I got into the habit to start at least 10-20 seconds of preroll.

Good luck.
Old September 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #9
Wrangler

Paolo,

I think they're talking about the behavior of FCP if there's a timecode break. Previously in FCP, if there was a break in 720p30, FCP would stop tape, back up, try again, and in the process lose 4 seconds and 4 frames of material.

It just plain wouldn't digitize over the break.
Old September 28th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Scott. If you look at the descriptions for the Presets (Audio/Video settings, click on the "Device control presets" tab ) you'll see that FCP explicitly declares a 5 second preroll and 3 second postroll for HDV Firewire. Duplicate the preset wih a new name, edit it and change the values for post/pre-roll. Don't know if it will work but that's where it is. I got into the habit to start at least 10-20 seconds of preroll.

Good luck.
This seems to help quite a bit. I re-captured some interviews and the timecode gap is only 2 seconds now. The 2 seconds is actually a combination of 1 sec pre-roll & 1 sec post-roll which is the minimum setting.

So this has made a really big problem into a small one, as long as I pre-roll a second or two between each interview (which I'm doing already) all my other shots should be fine. I'll probably use the HDV codec for my next project.

Thanks for the help!
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #11
Wrangler

Alright then, maybe I stand corrected!
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #12
Trustee

Scott, glad that it worked. Pre-roll is defintely necessary. I believe it's pretty much the ame with any tape-based camera but the HD100 has definitely a need for more time. You can see that the "REC" label in the VF turns from white to red, that's your "safe area".

Nate, the behaviour that you described can deintely happen, data breaks or timecode breaks caused that and probably the pre/post-roll setting apply to each break.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite