Can You Capture HDMI at 1080p24? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 5th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Can You Capture HDMI at 1080p24?

I thought HDMI only supported 720p and 1080i. Is there a 2:3 pulldown?

Thanks,

David

P.S.
Second question: what is the color space on HDMI: 4:2:2, 4:2:0, or something else?
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Think I got my answer...yes, the HDMI is 2:3 pulldown, and yes, it is 4:2:2 10-bit.
Old October 5th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, but HOW?
Do you need a desktop with extra Video card or is there a laptop solution to record it with a less compressed codec?

J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

A desktop with a black magic HDMI card and a couple large hard drives...

The cards are due out this month....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #5
Major Player

The question is whether Cineform will support the BlackMagic HDMI card. If they do, the hardware requirement goes down signficantly.

The card will need a RAID array.However you get uncompressed 1920x1080 4:2:2 10-bit video (vs compressed 1440x1080 4:2:0 8-bit) with uncompressed audio (vs. MPEG 1). And you still have the HDV option on for handheld and run and gun.

It makes you wonder if Canon, Panasonic, and JVC will add HDMI to their lower cost camera.
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Can you also you the HDMI on new video cards or is that only for output? Are we sure that it will be full 1920x1080 over HDMI as another thread about this says it will still be 1440x1080..?
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

We are being told that the HDMI output is un-compressed... 1920x1080
4:2:2 10 bit....

The camera sends to tape/hard drive (optional) or both compressed at the
normal HD of 1440x1080 so the tapes/hard drive data can be played back
on other cameras/gear......

pretty nice...:-)
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #8
Trustee

You do not need to wait for Cineform. Blackmagic has a new mjpeg codec for HD thats gives 1920x1080 4:2:2 in AVI files that are around 11 MB/S. It isn't exactly at that rate because the codec is variable and so the files will be larger depending on how complex the scene is. If you are shooting bluescreen elements the file size should be smaller because most of the image is made up of a solid color. If you are shooting a jungle during a huricane (good luck getting your computer water proof) the file size will be larger due to how complex the video is. The codec allows HD at near uncompressed visual quality in a file size that will fit on a single SATA hard drive. Cineform may have a slight edge in quality due to waveform compression but you do not have to wait around for it to support the Blackmagic cards.

The mjpeg codec is much much better than HDV and only shows a slight reduction in quality when compared to 8 bit uncompressed HD. It is a standard Windows AVI codec that uses VFW and Directshow versions of the codec which means pretty much any NLE should be able to read the files. I for one can confirm that Avid Liquid which is known to only use very specific file formats can load AVI files using the mjpeg codec and not only load the video but play and edit it in realtime as a native Liquid format.

The Intensity card uses the HDMI 1.2 spec which is limited to 24bit color or 8 bits per channel. You will not get 10 bit HD with HDMI and Intensity.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #9
Regular Crew

What about a PCMCIA verson of that (the Blackmagic Intensity) or external enclosure for laptop use? How long can HDMI cable runs be, 10m max? Could be a problem on location.
Old October 5th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainslie Davies
How long can HDMI cable runs be, 10m max? Could be a problem on location.
I'm aware of 600' HDMI cables that have been successfully tested with soon-to-be-announced products. However, the HDMI 1.2 spec claims that cables of only up to 15 metres have been tested to spec. I can't comment on that cuz I don't know who tested those, nor do I know who made the 600' cable that I'm aware of.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Right, thanks for that :-). If I want to monitor via HDMI and capture via HDMI, is there any solution for that?
Old October 5th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #12

Gefen and Kramer both manufacture HDMI splitters, so you can monitor and send a feed elsewhere. I'm not aware of an HDMI box that will work with a laptop, however (not yet, anyway).
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #13
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell
We are being told that the HDMI output is un-compressed... 1920x1080
4:2:2 10 bit....
Its HDMI isn't 1920x1080, it's 1440x1080. Also, where did it say anything about 10-bit? I haven't seen that, but that would be very nice. Is it a full 10 bits wide? The Canon outputs HDSDI at "10 bits" but it's really an 8-bit signal with the bottom two bits forced to zero.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #14
Regular Crew

According to Thomas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
The Intensity card uses the HDMI 1.2 spec which is limited to 24bit color or 8 bits per channel. You will not get 10 bit HD with HDMI and Intensity.
...so just 8bit - 1920x1080 4:2:2 though which is lovely, If I could only come up with a workable portable HDMI recording system, I guess a full PC would work... damn AC power
Old October 6th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #15
Trustee

You don't necessarily need AC power. Computers use DC and there are DC-to-DC power supplies available. They are generally intended for car computers, but it may someday work for battery-operated desktop-replacement machines that would work for our purposes. The problem is that powerful CPUs use too much juice for most of these DC-DC supplies.

Concerning batteries, there is a NiMH battery pack that can do over 250Watts for one hour that costs $270. It weighs about 8 pounds (3.5 kilos) and a charger us under $30. I'm sure it is possible to do it much cheaper if you are willing to use heavy lead-acid batteries. I'll say that a computer that could do the job would cost about $2000 with Intensity card and battery.

If DC-DC power supplies are insufficient, there are power inverters for about $40 that can make the AC for a regular power supply.

Considering the capabilities we are talking about, 4:2:2 uncompressed, some inconvenience is no big deal considering all this can be done for under $10K. I think the ability to revert to 4:2:0 HDV when extreme portability is needed is a great fallback and makes the V1 system incredibly versatile.

I feel like I am on the verge of a new era...
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7