Which video editing software? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Tourist

Which video editing software?

Hey guys,

I received my HV10 last week and love it.

However, I am wondering which software you use to import the HD video and edit it.

For some reason, Ulead 8 (the only software I own) could not even detect the camera.

I prefer software that is easy to learn and will use it for some quick edits and adding music. Nothing too fancy.

Thanks, appreciate it!

So what is everyone using?
Jeff Wirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Assuming HV10 produces standard HDV files:

Free Capture: HDVSplit

Cheap: Sony Vegas Movie Studio
Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus

Mid: Sony Vegas 7
Premiere Pro 2.0
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Trustee

I believe that HDVSplit is still just for Sony cameras.

Go with Premiere Pro and Cineform Aspect HD.
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Free Capture: CapDVHS
Real Cheap Native editing: WOMBLE MPEG Video Wizard (ako 60$)

Reasonaly Priced Proxy Editing: Studio 10.x from Ulead

Totally Pro: Premiere Pro 2.0 and Cineform ASpect HD, as Steven suggests.

Best encoding utility: TMPGEnc Express 4.0

Demo versions available for each.
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #5
New Boot

Canopus Edius is very good for HD footage. You can have HD and SD on the same timeline.
Jonathan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm using Ulead MSpro8.

Note that I believe you need WinXP SP2 to detect HDV camcorders (to the OS at least.)
Does it show up in Windows Device Manager as a AV/C device, under video/game controllers? UnlikeDV camcorder, it's not under Imaging devices...
Edit: here's Ulead page showing OS detection for Sony, worked same for me for HV10..
http://www.ulead.com/learning/msp/msp8_02_03.htm

If your OS sees the camera fine, your software needs to recognize HDV MPG2 to capture, I think VS8 is too old...
Ulead website says VS9 should do it, VS10+ better...
http://www.ulead.com/spotlight/hd/runme.htm

Note that MSP8 has some limitations compared to DV for the HDV stream...
it doesn't do time-based "split-by-scene" for shots, only content scan. It also doesn't do the "scan DV tape" logging feature, nor display the timestamp info on preview window, even though all the metadata is available (and works fine when you turn the HV10 to "DV locked" mode.)
The biggest loss for me is the split-by-scene, since I'm lazy and tend to leave smart-proxy off (too long to render), it takes a bit to find scene splits. I could always do content-based I guess.

I don't know how well other products handle HDV details, besides performance and proxy editing... would be interesting to hear...

Note that you should have a free rebate for Pinnacle Studio Plus w/ your purchase (worth $99), from Canon, so that might get you going at least. I don't know how good/stable that Pinnacle is.
http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/softw...0_Pinnacle.pdf
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Tourist

Thanks guys,

I actually have Vegas 6 and have been learning it again.

I am wondering, with DVD architect, is it possible to directly burn HD to a standard DVD? Then play the HD standard DVD on the Toshiba HD-A1?

It seems like it should work...maybe 40 minutes of HD material?

Anyone use Vegas for that yet?
Jeff Wirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #8
Trustee

Also look at Avid Liquid. Pinnacle Studio's native engine is built from Liquid's. No rendering to edit.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #9
Regular Crew

well iMovie works great, sees the cam right away.

I perfer Final Cut obviously but I have yet to get it to see the cam.

anyone know a secret to this?
Luc Meisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #10
Regular Crew

PremierPro and HV10

Hi,

I have been using PP2. In the beginning I captured the 1080i footage from HV10 as 780p because the 1080i choice in PP2 seemed to indicate it was meant for Sony to me. I was able to capture do some very minor edits (add menu) and burn to DVD without problem. It played in various dvd players (or at least I heard no complaints about the copies I gave out). Then I began to do some more edits of the captured video and ran into problems with transitions that wouldn't play. They showed up in the timeline (although with the diagonal line across the transition) and in the effects window. Some 3 D transitions play, cross fade does not. I rendered the workspace and had the same problem. So I tried capture at the 1080i settings and had the same problem, plus now parts of the clip have audio out of sync with the video.

Any ideas on the problem? Canon has no update available for this that I can see, and I have emailed Adobe checking on that side of the problem.

Three choices that I can see: go back to the 780p capture and just use transitions that work (at least audio and video in sync), capture at standard dv settings, uninstall and re-install PP2. Any other suggestions?

I came to this thread on advice from the Adobe Premier thread.

Thanks!

Leslie

Jeff - I am able to record hdv to dvd just fine - PP2 has a choice just for that. It looks good too - not as good as the tape does with a direct connect to my hdtv, but still clearer than the footage shot in standard dv and recorded to dvd then played on my tv.
Leslie Dopkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #11
Major Player

If you are going to DVD just capture at standard DV resolution.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #12
Regular Crew

UVS10 Plus

I capture HV10 video (1080i) in Ulead DVDMovie Factory 5. I edit as HD (1080i) in Ulead VideoStudio 10 Plus, and output my final project as an HD Folder (1080i with 3/2 Dolby surround audio). I then burn the High-Definition Folder to a Standard DVD Disc (4.7 or 8.5) using NERO 7. Result: absolutely perfect 1080i or 720p display of video and 5.1 surround audio --- played back with my Toshiba HD-DVD A1 player.

HDG
Hawood Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I know that I can capture as standard dv, but I wish to also make a hd video for future burning once the high def burners get resolved. So I still have the same problem with the 1080i into PP2. Hawood, do you use a variety of transitions? Perhaps I need a plug in for PP2.

Thanks,

Leslie
Leslie Dopkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Leslie:

Lee Wilson (above) had been pretty big proponent of HV10-- He shoudl know if Premiere can capture and edit HV10 material. Might even want to PM him.
Old October 27th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Native to VS10 Plus

Leslie Dopkiss;

By choice, I do not use a variety of transitions when editing SD or HD. Mostly crossfades and straight cuts. I occasionally use flash to white, or other color. I try and give my editing as much a "professional" look as possible--- meaning keep effects and transitions to a minimum.

I cannot speak for PP2, as I don't own this software. Ulead VS10 Plus allows true High-Definition editing, authoring, which I burn in Nero 7. I capture at 1440x1080, edit at same, author at same, and burn at same on a standard DVD (4.7 or 8.5 gig). I get about 20 minutes on a 4.7 gig DVD disk, due to the high bitrate (25Mbits variable) and 5.1 surround specs used.

Thus, there's no need to wait on Hi-Def burners, except that higher capacity HD-DVD discs will accomodate lengthier program content. Quality of video and audio from the HV10, output to spec (HDV) is equivalent to what's seen on Discovery HD, or other High-Definition broadcasts. Oh, I should clarify that one needs an HD-DVD player (Toshiba, RCA, or other) in order to play back the HDDVD content burned on a standard DVD. My Toshiba HD-DVD player will display this format at 1080i or 780p.

Hope this helps,

VM/HDG
Hawood Giles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders