How important is the type of tape used for HVR-A1U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 20th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1
New Boot

How important is the type of tape used for HVR-A1U?

I just ordered a Sony HVR-A1U and was curious how important is the type of tapes I used with this camcorder? On Amazon's site, I see it state:

"No new tape stock
The HVR-A1U is compatible with conventional DV tape stock, but Sony recommends the use of DigitalMaster PHDVM-63DM tape, with its dual layer of magnetic material, which delivers higher RF output, lower noise, 95% fewer errors and 60% fewer dropouts compared to regular DV tape."

So will I see a huge difference in image quality? This is for home personal use, not documentary or anything commercial. Thank you.
Manuel Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #2

no difference in image quality unless you have very dirty heads, where you might have dropouts and the decoder can't reassemble the image correctly. However, with HDV, dropouts can potentially be much more deadly.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Guzman
I just ordered a Sony HVR-A1U and was curious how important is the type of tapes I used with this camcorder? On Amazon's site, I see it state:

"No new tape stock
The HVR-A1U is compatible with conventional DV tape stock, but Sony recommends the use of DigitalMaster PHDVM-63DM tape, with its dual layer of magnetic material, which delivers higher RF output, lower noise, 95% fewer errors and 60% fewer dropouts compared to regular DV tape."

So will I see a huge difference in image quality? This is for home personal use, not documentary or anything commercial. Thank you.
No difference in image quality whatsoever. It's digital tape, it's not analogue tape.

The only reason to buy the more expensive tapes is to, potentially, reduce the frequency of tape 'dropouts' which are 'glitches. Sony would like you to buy the more expensive tapes all the time to, of course, improve their profit&loss line on their accounts....
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #4
New Boot

Awesome. Thanks for your help. OK. I just ordered several tapes. Can't wait until I receive the HDV cam. Hope I get a week of nice weather so I can play around with the camera :)
Manuel Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
No difference in image quality whatsoever. It's digital tape, it's not analogue tape.

The only reason to buy the more expensive tapes is to, potentially, reduce the frequency of tape 'dropouts' which are 'glitches. Sony would like you to buy the more expensive tapes all the time to, of course, improve their profit&loss line on their accounts....
I could not agree more. I was in Ibiza in June when I ran out of Digital Master tape. I searched everywhere and in the end gave up confident that there were none on the Island. I settled for some standard economy (couple of Euro) DV tapes.

Well there were no dropped frames on the first tape so I used the rest of the pack of 4 and still no dropped frames... Well it is October now and I have yet to see a dropped frame from any standard DV tape.

The experience has saved me a small fortune as I am the kind of guy who always would insist on the very best media, the fact is that unless your work mission critical standard DV tape will do just fine.
Simon Greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have shot about 100 hours of HDV only using standard DV tapes. I am seeing about one dropout every 3 hours so far. For me, that is small enough to live with.
Lee Kazimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

When I first got my A1, I had probably 15 dropouts on 3 hours of footage. I was very unhappy, and I switched to sony's [expensive] HDV tapes for a while, and everything got better. Now, I'm back to using the cheapest 60 min. Sony tapes ($2.79/per), and I'm getting about a dropout every 2 hours or so. No big deal. I go through about 5-10 tapes a month, so it's a lot cheaper this way.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I've been always using those cheapest 60 min Sony tapes. Tape run info says I have shot/played 130 hours (A1e) and I really have had only 2-4 dropouts! So reading those previous posts I think you're having lots of dropouts. Lucky me. I have used cleaning tape once, after my second dropout.
Poppe Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #9
Major Player

A1u tape type

Am using the TDK "non hdv" tape you buy at Costco. So far 15 tapes, no issues in recording.

Occasionally I do see what appears to be a "dropout" when capturing, but I rewind to that scene later on and recapture and so far the "dropout" has not reoccured. I've only seen 4 of them so far.

I use dropout loosely, as I have not eliminated the PC from potential culpability.

I am satisfied.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Tourist

CostCo TDK works for me!

I, too, am using the TDK "non hdv" tape you buy at Costco (this was recommended from a seasoned pro videographer). After 2 years of shooting both DV and HDV I've had zero drop outs. :)
Jeff DeMello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I also use standard DV tapes for my HVR-A1U; specifically Panasonic DVM63PQ tapes that I buy for $3.65 each from a well-known NY mail house. I can't remember the last time I had a dropout, it has been so long.

Enjoy,

Best wishes,
Peter Rhalter
www.parkfilms.com
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #12
Inner Circle

There aren't any different specs for MiniDV tape and HDV tape. In other words, any manufacturer of MiniDV tapes (that meet specs for MiniDV tape) can slap HDV on the label without it being a false claim.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #13
Major Player

I have never had any dropout using standard Sony dv tapes with my A1E.

I had one dropout with my Canon A1 and now only use hdv tapes in that. The dropout was in the middle of an important take that I would otherwise have used.

My dealer told me that hdv tapes do have some kind of surface varnish which makes them more resistant to dropout.

I don't know how true this is but I don't want to take the risk when I am doing paid work.
Richard Gooderick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series