Initial User's review of the Canon XH-A1 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #106
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
You're talking about the daylight vs. tungsten WB switch. Agreed. This is shaping up to be my single biggest complaint about the XH. It's an important switch that has definitely been put in the wrong place. There is a work-around however. Dial in a custom WB setting for Preset Position A of 3200 degrees Kelvin. Then dial in a custom WB setting for Preset Position B of 5600 degrees Kelvin. Problem solved... you've now successfully relocated the daylight / tungsten switch where it belongs, at the expense of giving up the custom WB settings.

Thankfully there's very little else to find fault with.
Chris, could you please elaborate on this method? I can't figure out how to K-dial anything for a Preset Positions:(
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #107
Obstreperous Rex

You're right. Was I hallucinating when I wrote that? Maybe.

You can use warm cards or other-color bounce cards to cheat the preset positions into the colors you want; and the default Daylight and Tungsten settings can be tweaked up or down by several steps... although I have no idea how many degrees Kelvin each step represents. We'll have to find out.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 04:09 AM   #108
Major Player

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the (K) Color Temp is a separate function unto itself & useful for example, if one knows the Kelvin Temperature such as studio lighting, etc. you can just dial it in & does not change default values for the daylight & Tungsten selections.

On page 62, it states there's auto white, indoor & outdoor, 2 manual modes (A&B) & color temperature setting (based on Kelvin degrees) which says is in 100 degree increments.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders