Our feature in THeaters DEC 8th..check trailer.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old November 3rd, 2006, 02:56 PM   #1
Trustee

Our feature in THeaters DEC 8th..check trailer..

Hello all, our feature, White Men Can't Dance, will be out Dec 8th in theaters around the country, checkout the trailer here:

www.dv3productions.com/WMCD.wmv

it's not a final cut, but I thought you guys would like to see!

-Obin
obin@dv3productions.com
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey respect for your movie and your achievement but man thats a long trailer, I felt like i saw the film.

Andy.
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Trustee

Trailer needs a lot of work, pretty flat and confusing. This looks more like a WB midnight movie but then again, so does Facing the Giants and it is doing well. My brother in law owns a regional theater chain and I cant find this anywhere on anyones release list or IMDB or anywhere... where is it coming out on 12/8?

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #4
Trustee

Carmike for one, and we are dealing with many more..NDA, I can't talk about it much till deals are signed. sorry you guys don't like trailer, I guess you should not see the film.
Old November 4th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

GJ Looks Great ! Ill spend the time to watch it!

GJ again!
Old November 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #6
Trustee

Hey Ash, I just watched your reality show trailer, reminds me of a Band reality show we recently produced with VH1. Obviously you did not have that much budget to work with, but it looks good... luck on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Trailer needs a lot of work, pretty flat and confusing. This looks more like a WB midnight movie but then again, so does Facing the Giants and it is doing well. My brother in law owns a regional theater chain and I cant find this anywhere on anyones release list or IMDB or anywhere... where is it coming out on 12/8?

ash =o)
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obin Olson
Carmike for one, and we are dealing with many more..NDA, I can't talk about it much till deals are signed. sorry you guys don't like trailer, I guess you should not see the film.

Sorry, my comments came off oddly... Basically, I wanted to know if it was going to be somewhere where I could see it. I think what we are saying is that the trailer could do more justice to the movie. The way it is currently makes it feel more like a TV show than theatrical release, it does look interesting.

ash =o)
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obin Olson
Hey Ash, I just watched your reality show trailer, reminds me of a Band reality show we recently produced with VH1. Obviously you did not have that much budget to work with, but it looks good... luck on it!

Thanks... there was only a TINY budget, mostly had to use student shooters, etc. Should be an interesting way to promote an album.

ash =o)
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #9
Major Player

Hey,

Congratulations on completing your project.

It says it is coming to theaters in December? That's less than a month away. Which theaters may I ask? Also, which distributor is distributing the movie? I didn't find anything about this on IMDB.

My apologies, and please take what I say with a grain of salt, but I have to agree with some of the other posts. In my opinion I think the trailer is a bit too long, somewhat confusing and it seems like there are three different movies going on at the time. One comedy, one family drama and one street dance. Almost comes off as a WB drama, or made for lifetime story, not that that is bad, but I am not sure that is what you aimed for. Finally, I didn't find the performances too compelling, instead almost comedic, but again, I am not sure that is what you aimed for.

In any event, the trailer may have potential to sell your project with some re-editing and more convincing voice over/narrator.

Good luck!
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Obin,

This trailer has major tone issues. You just can't take a sincere moment like grandpa dying, or a seven-year-old in need of a kidney transplant, and cut it with break dancing. It comes off so...wrong. Like wrong wrong. I sure hope the movie as a whole doesn't have the tone issue that this trailer does.

If the tone of the story is more drama, then I think you should start the trailer on the downbeat of grandpa dying and the girl in need of a kidney transplant. And then go into the white dude's drive to win the contest (which, btw, is very weird, but okay, that's the story). Basically, if you flat out lopped off the first part of the trailer all the way up to grandpa dying it would greatly help this. You can go from downbeat to upbeat. But to start on an upbeat (and a really upbeat at that) then go to that kind of emotion and then right back to break dancing does not work. But it would also help if you made the drive of the story more clear. Why is grandpa even involved? Is he more connected in the story? From this trailer, it seems like the focus should just be about saving the little girl. I suppose it doesn't matter that you're stretching believability to the extreme as long as the story is focused and the tone is consistent.

If, however, the tone of the movie is a comedy, then you need to just lightly touch on the kidney transplant thing to give the white dude a motivational story drive, and cut out the grandpa dying part altogether. That highlights what the story is without involving the viewer in an emotionally sincere way.

The point is you can't do both. Definitely not in the trailer. So pick one.

Last edited by Jeff Cottrone; November 7th, 2006 at 11:32 AM.
Jeff Cottrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #11
Trustee

THanks for the notes Jeff, I can see you really have strong feelings about this. good. What we did was take the breakdance comp that is at the END of the film and splice it with the story of the kid and her dad and mom in need of help. building both storylines till the end and "the winner is" moment, otherwise it's a very dull trailer..trying to jump it up a bit by having the 2 storylines merge at the end to the "Winner is" moment...

I guess in your mind that does not work. Maybe I should show you the old trailer and see whaty ou think of it.
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #12
Trustee

BTW it IS a comedy a drama and a dance film. so....you hit the nail on the head Brian
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #13
Trustee

higher quality encode 66megs

www.dv3productions.com/clients/wmcd/wmcd.mov

Apple and QUicktime like it, and they are going to put the trailer on the quicktime HD trailer website.
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #14
Trustee

btw if you would like to see the original directors cut trailer checkout

www.whitemencantdance.com

let me know your thoughts. I cut this new one for free. fyi
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Obin,

First, sorry I came across so strong. Now that I got a good night's sleep and rewatched your trailer, I think you can fix it by cutting out the first three break dancing sections in the beginning (during the emotionally sincere stuff). It is just too jarring. We don't need to have that setup for us then.

If you do cut those parts, then we'll start by jumping right into the tight family bonding stuff and move gently into the dramatic kidney shift of tone (still not sure grandpa is needed in the trailer), then we'll move gently into the solution, which is his drive to win the break dancing contest. And I don't think you need to recut those first 3 break dancing sections in the trailer later either. The big banner of a $40k prize tells us the deal.

IMO, this will solve your tone issue. Now. The other big issue is being able to sell me on the fact that this guy has any chance at winning this contest. Is there a line in the movie where he says something like: "I know I'm old and don't look like I have any skills, but back in the day, I used to kill at these things." One more line like that in the trailer would help. But this is where the main tone issue in the movie might be: the ending. And it will all depend on how much you sell (and therefore somehow show us) that this guy has a chance. I'm assuming some kind of body double from wide angles, but that is a precarious place to be for belieability's sake. I'd love to see how you guys pulled this off. If you don't pull it off, the tone will be all wrong, meaning it will be funny when it's supposed to be sincere.

Btw, it looks and sounds great. And this other trailer from your website is not so good. I'd recut the one you first posted here and put it on your website in place of it.
Jeff Cottrone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work