25p flaw of the V1 E model is official? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old December 20th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #16
Regular Crew

It would be really nice if we did get some notification officially. But how would Sony go about that? Direct to customers or somewhere in the bowels of their website/s??

Any idea?

TT
Old December 20th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #17
Major Player

Tony, have you registered your cam? Maybe that would be a way to submit the problem and request info on resolution.
I had no time doing that, but maybe owners could follow the same approach so Sony would see they have to do something about it.
Or am I naive?:)

Anyways, went for night shooting in the frost - the cam works pretty well in cold. Maybe I will have time to edit during the week end then post something.
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tremble
It would be really nice if we did get some notification officially. But how would Sony go about that? Direct to customers or somewhere in the bowels of their website/s??

Any idea?

TT
Well the support site for USA (which i know is not what we want here..) is this :
http://esupport.sony.com/

Support site for Europe *consumer* products is here : (this precise link shows the SR1 audio-channel problem for example :)
http://support.sony-europe.com/Hotne...I/RSI.asp?l=en

and this site below is for 'Professional' products which will include of course the V1. You can see they have 'Product Notices' there.
I am not 100% sure if this site below is a 'global' sony site. i.e. if Sony post a notice about the 25p V1E problem, will it appear here ?? - not sure.
But at least it gives something to monitor :
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...et_10018.shtml

My guess is that they won't publically want to publicise this 25p problem so will just be trying hard to fix it as quickly as possible and get the V1E train back on the rails in a fairly low-key way.
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #19
New Boot

Firmware

I have been waiting quite awhile to purchase the V1, but now that I see what happened to the V1E, I am nervous waiting to see what happens, and how the V1U users start reporting in.

All of this raises a big question in my mind about firmware. Somewhere in another post a user indicated that they had taken in a camera for some repair and along the way they upgraded the firmware while the unit was in the shop, and there was a new or different feature.

So, that got me thinking about firmware. These days many products ship way before they are ready, and it takes many firmware revisions to actually get an acceptable product. I have had problems with routers, DVD drives, and many other items, but typically I can upgrade firmware routinely.

So I wonder why Sony does not post firmware upgrades routinely to their website, and why HVR-V1 owners cannot just upgrade their firmware as time goes on and bugs get worked out. Why do the early purchasers get stuck with the buggiest firmware? Almost all other types of hardware these days routinely provide firmware updates, but it does not seem to be the case with very, very expensive HD cameras.

Does anyone have any ideas on how a purchaser today can upgrade firmware without an expensive trip to the service desk? If I could feel some comfort about this I would be less reluctant today to buy a new HVR-V1U..
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:41 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Thomas Folse

Does anyone have any ideas on how a purchaser today can upgrade firmware without an expensive trip to the service desk? If I could feel some comfort about this I would be less reluctant today to buy a new HVR-V1U..
There has not been any reported problem with the V1U therefore you don't need new firmware or any trip to a service desk.

So why the worry?

I have it on good authority that EU customers will be sorted out via their Prime Support contracts. It should be noted that Sony regularly update firmware for the XDCAM HD cameras via ftp. Users simply load the firmware onto a memory stick and load it into the camera. Job done. They may go this route for the V1E but we won't know until we get officially told.

Don't let an irrational worry over the V1U to make you decide to go elsewhere. You might regret it when you start seeing the drop dead gorgeous images from the V1. :)

TT
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:23 AM   #21
Major Player

Hmmm... I like to think that no more faulty models will slip through the cracks.

I don't want to end up with one, that's for sure.
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:47 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I have registered my V1E and wrote to the Prime Support at PrimeSupoort@eu.sony.com. Here is the answer:

Dear customer,

"Thank you for contacting the Sony PrimeSupport helpdesk. Your email will
be passed to the relevant department and you will receive a response in
due course.

Kind Regards

SONY PrimeSupport"

So, nothing specific yet...
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:01 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Prime Support working!!!

Great News! A very nice guy just called me from Sony Europe and informed a special box will be sent to me for my V1E to be put in (just the camera, without any delicate stuff); the courier will than pick it and it will be back within a couple of days, fixed. He assured me it's just and purely software issue, 100% resolvable. He also accepted my complain about the component socket loosing contact and promised that will be fixed, as well. The Prime Support seems to be working!
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:54 AM   #24
Trustee

This is technically a cross post so my apologies but the more appropriate thread for this seems to be being ignored / gone dead.

Our V1P was delayed roughly 72 hours at the dealers awaiting advice from Sony. Since then the firmware has been updated and the unit shipped to us. The dealer said the software updates are taking them 40 minutes per unit which explains the delay in processing so many units. They are working to reduce the update time to 20 minutes.
I think we can safely say Yes, the problem is offical and Sony have it fixed.
From what was said I also understand that units are already leaving manufacturing with the fix incorporated.
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:54 AM   #25
Regular Crew

My box arrives tomorrow!

I hope I am not going to be without the camera for long. I've become quite attached to it!!! :)

TT
Old December 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM   #26
Major Player

That's *great* news guys - good to know the fix is gonna be quick for you, in fact that's much quicker than I'd expected...

Looks like I might be off to Mitcorp sooner that I expected!
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:07 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tremble
My box arrives tomorrow!

I hope I am not going to be without the camera for long. I've become quite attached to it!!! :)

TT
Ah, seems problems have been resolved quickly! :) I have not registered my cam yet, but I will do it soon. Definitely don't want to send my cam anywhere now - Xmas is around the corner, New Years Eve, so many things to shoot.

I will let them fix in January during the dull days after the holiday season:)
I hope I wont be late...

The cam is great and the quick reaction from Sony is impressive.

Tony, do you have to pay anything for the fix?

Piotr, you are not in the UK, how about you? Shipping cost or something?
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:17 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Don't have to pay a thing Zsolt.

The courier delivered a box, waited on the doorstep while I placed camera in said box. He taped up the box applied a pre-printed label and we wished each other Happy Xmas. Job done...

I doubt whether I'll get the cam back before the new year but I won't have much time to use until then anyway. Too much partying to be done.

cheers

TT
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:52 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Zsolt, the courier is supposed to arrive tomorrow here, but I've been told I won't pay anything either. Also sorry to stay without the baby over Christmas, but wanted to have it over asap.

Tony, is the box specially designed to keep the camera safe, or should I prepare it somehow for the transport (wrap in some soft material etc)?
Old December 23rd, 2006, 01:58 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
Zsolt, the courier is supposed to arrive tomorrow here, but I've been told I won't pay anything either. Also sorry to stay without the baby over Christmas, but wanted to have it over asap.

Tony, is the box specially designed to keep the camera safe, or should I prepare it somehow for the transport (wrap in some soft material etc)?
Yes the box is designed for the purpose. There camera is suspended between two membranes in the box. Quite a clever idea and no messing with packing material.

I too am sorry to let the camera go but I thought it was best to get the camera fixed ready for the new year.

Happy New Year!

TT
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7