Questioning the Need for Mack Warranty at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 21st, 2006, 07:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Questioning the Need for Mack Warranty

I am about to purchase the V1. I see the Mack warranty offered for an additional $199 and went to their website and studied this option.

I have owned various camcorders for the past 20 years, but do not give them heavy use, and all but one (a Panasonic) were trouble free. Generally, my old ones became obsolete before they ever broke.

BUT, when they go bad, it is typically big bucks to get them worked on. I assume the biggest problem will be in physical issues such as tape heads, transport mechanisms and the like.

So at this point I wonder what users here who give Sony products heavy day in and day out use think about the need for the Mack warranty.

Feedback would be appreciated. Mack says I have 30 days after purchase to make up my mind. Also, since they are on the east coast, I wonder if there is any other option other than Mack? (I am in California)
Rene Thomas Folse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Rene and welcome to DVinfo! I have had a VX-2000 for 5 years, a PDX-10 for 4 years and a Z1 for a year and a half. I did not purchase an extended warranty for any of them. They have all been completely trouble free.

I only offer this as a personal experience, and not a suggestion of what you should do. However I would not classify my use as "heavy." Use the search function here and enter "Mack warranty." You will find quite a lot of discussion on this topic.

Enjoy the new camera!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The only two reasons I can think of are:

1. You use the camera often and there is a chance that in the five year period you could need serious work on it. Such as being a professional who puts the camera through its paces everyday.

2. Resale value. I thought that I was going to keep my XL2 for quite a while, and the MACK warranty was very reasonable when I bought the camera. I now have purchased an XLH1 and my XL2 is destined to be sold soon. I think its value is much higher now, than if I did not get the warranty, because whoever buys my camera will have nearly 4 years of warranty. That is a big peace of mind issue for buyers. Makes the cameras value much higher, probably much more than the $199.00 it cost me.

Funny note, I did not get it on the XLH1, because it was $700 to $800, and that is a diminishing return on the investment. I’ll just take my chances on it. I have never had to have one repaired.

I hope that this helps.

Mike
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

yeh I just bought it.

I normally dont buy extended warranties - they are generally a ripoff and just generate profit. I saw that 50%!!! yes "fifty" of Bestbuys profits come from the extended warranties they sell at the cash register.

BUT, I had a betacam go badly south on me once and the repair bill was about 1/4 the value of the camera. IF ANYTHING goes wrong, you will more than get your money back. And peace of mind to me is worth it.

Also Mike has an excellent point, I bet if you look at ebay, the average price of a cam with extended is probably $200 more than a no warranty cam! So its like you get the extended for free if you resell in less than 4 years.

BUT, some charge cards will double the manufacturers warranty for free. So if you use the right card you in essence get a free 2 year warranty - not transferable though...
Rick Hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:23 AM   #5
Wrangler

Doubling your warranty using a credit card program is a great idea. But read all the fine print before you make any wrong assumptions about what is covered. I have an American Express card which doubles warranties for example. However it specifically excludes professional use of equipment bought with a non-corporate card. Also read the fine print on the Mack warranty. I have no personal experience with them, but I believe they may have different warranties for professional and non-professional use. If you are putting heavy professional use on the camera, be sure you get the correct warranty.

I think that's a great point about the warranty increasing resale value. But also remember that Mack isn't in business as a public service! If they are only charging $200 for the warranty then it means they think it's very unlikely you will have a problem with the camera.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I have no personal experience with them, but I believe they may have different warranties for professional and non-professional use.
I knew I had read this somewhere before!... See the following thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63648
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Inner Circle

My two cents is this; I purchase an extended warranty on micro electronics that will 1) hold a higher value, unlike a laptop or computer which is worth almost nothing in a couple of months, and 2) if it's a very expensive item.

I had someone at Best Buy ask me if I wanted a 20 dollar warranty on a 100 dollar something or another I bought the other day. Hehe, yeah I did laugh.

I think it makes good business sense to get a warranty on cameras, I don't have the brainage for worrying about repairs of a camera that goes south on me. I bought a mack for every camera I've bought. The peace of mind is worth the money to me.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff

I think that's a great point about the warranty increasing resale value. But also remember that Mack isn't in business as a public service! If they are only charging $200 for the warranty then it means they think it's very unlikely you will have a problem with the camera.

That's right, they are betting nothing goes wrong and I'm sure that they win the vast majority of the time!

The peace of mind thing on resale is to me the biggest benefit. People are so paranoid buying used equipment.

The funnyest thing that when you put a camera up for sale, the first question you get is "Do you have any pictures?" Why, my XL2 does not look any differant than any other XL2 ever made! What they are really looking for is what condition it is in, not that you can tell much from a picture.

But, put the picture in there, as the drool factor needs to work! :)

Mike
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:02 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Why, my XL2 does not look any differant than any other XL2 ever made!
Mike
Maybe they think you've put raciing flames down the side of it. And that's a good point about the resale benefit. That is an excellent point.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:40 AM   #10
New Boot

Thank you.

Thank all of you for the great feedback. I just ordered the V1 WITH Mack Warranty. I lurked around these forums since last summer learning from the pros who post here. I now have one last objective. I understand the technology, already have Vegas 7c, and know how to use it. BUT, in 20 years I have never been able to go over the top in terms of just beautiful shots. I do corporate and educational work, and am fine at that, but am perturbed at my lack of style and grace as a videographer (if I can even call myself that). So, now that I have bought my 5th or 6th generation of camcorder technology, THIS TIME I swear I will lurk around here looking for every tip I can about how to go over the top. When I do, I will refute the claim that you "cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear". I am going to GET IT this time around.

Rene
Rene Thomas Folse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 01:27 PM   #11
Wrangler

Cool Rene -- Let us know how the new camera works out!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7