Split-Screen Issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 21st, 2006, 11:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Split-Screen Issue

Hello, I just got my JVC-HD110... the left half the frame is darker than the right. It is this way in camera, and also when I capture the footage...
I have yet to get a hold of JVC. Any quick responses would be great!
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Sounds like split screen effect(sse). From what I understand, half of each ccd is independently managed by one chip and sometimes these chips have to be calibrated so both halves match.

Depending one how bad it is, you might want to get another one through JVC's perfect experience program where you get a new camera within 30 days of purchase if I am not mistaken.

I see sse only when I have the gain up super high like 18db.

If you didnt buy the camera new or from an authorized dealer then you will probably have to send it to JVC to be calibrated but it really all depends on how bad the sse is on your hd110.

Last edited by Jonathan Nelson; December 22nd, 2006 at 09:53 AM.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:08 AM   #3
Wrangler

Definitely mis-calibrated SSE. Call your dealer immediately. If you just purchased there is a possibility you can get a new unit, or it may need to be sent to JVC service for calibration.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Major Player

They all do it. From HD-100 to HD250's. If you see SSE (split screen) in a shot that is considered "poorly lit" with the gain turned way up with no camera light or room lighting, you will see a slight line down the center. JVC considers this normal. Read this link on their website.....

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...ath=null#chips

If the SSE (split screen) weren't there, would you really consider using that shot? Is the lighting & picture otherwise halfway decent? If the answer is yes, then get it fixed. If the answer is no, don't expect JVC to offer much sympathy.

They make it clear that you need to use the camera a certain way to avoid SSE. They consider the HD100 series to be a professional camera and as such, they expect you to know how to use proper lighting and camera techniques to avoid the problem.

A side note: The 3 chips are NOT split down the middle. They are whole 1280x720 sized chips that get processed by 2 DSP engines. This allows the camera to offer 720/60p via analog component out. It seems like a strange tradeoff to make since the camera can only record 720/30p.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Trustee

Not sure this is accurate. JVC has always allowed cameras to be returned if the SSE was "extreme" - and this was long before the firmware/hardware corrections of the "A" upgrade were available.

If the SSE is happening under all but the most extreme conditions (gain jacked way up while viewing a bland object like a wall under dim light), it's defective to my mind - and to almost everyother user.

Listen to Mr. Dashwood - return it immediately for service unless the SSE is happening only rarely only poor circumstances.

Merry Christmas -

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 01:01 PM   #6
Major Player

My point exactly. If you plug the camera into your TV, then add 18db gain and point it at a solid white wall with all the lights turned off, you will see the line. You're not suppose to shoot that way, at least if you consider yourself a professional.

The HD-100 was never meant to be a "consumer friendly" camcorder. If you don't want to deal with this, the HD1/HD10 is available. It is a single CCD design which does not require the dual DSP engine.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 01:33 PM   #7
Major Player

Wait 5 minutes to let the camera warm up, if the SSE is still there under normal light situations then you may have a defective product. The SSE may be visible when the system is cold.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 07:46 PM   #8
Major Player

JVC had plenty of time to deal with the dreaded SSE. If you have even a hint of it under any circumstances except for very low light AND very high gain (+12dB and more) AT THE SAME TIME, return it immediately!

I just hope that this is an isolated incident and that it will not repeat again with the HD200 and HD250.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I completely agree with you, it's not a few $$ camera. If this happen with the new HD200 or HD250 camera, there is something wrong for sure.
Yves Fortin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:02 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Gentlemen, please keep your emotions in check when commenting on this issue. I have had to edit one post already and I do not want to lock this thread. This is not a typical internet message board -- utmost professionalism and courtesy at all times, please. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:48 PM   #11
Major Player

This is a very sensitive issue and some of us who had to deal with it, and as a result experienced huge stresses when working for paying clients, will inevitably respond emotionally. I have questioned my choice of going with ProHD more than once since my problems with SSE, lost video on tape and serious lack of support by Avid. As a result, at this point, I really don't appreciate anyone trying to excuse this fault in any way. It is a fault and JVC figured out how to calibrated - obviously - so getting any more cameras that exhibit this problem to the market is inexcusable. Plain and simple. Let's hope it is an isolated incident...
Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:42 AM   #12
Major Player

I'm not defending JVC, I just wanted to make sure the original poster wasn't misusing the camera. No sense in having him send the camera to JVC if it isn't going to be fixed.

There are a lot of people out there that purchased the HD-100 who have never used anything better than a consumer palm camcorder. He still hasn't responded.
Old December 26th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #13
Major Player

Jiri, let's be honest also.
JVC is one of the few companies I experienced who do jump strait on the issues and fixed the issues like the tape transport problem, by updating the PCB board for free. It's not fair to bash on things which were fixed.
And I'm sure this camera from Douglas needs a calibration. They work now in a higher resolution internally, so the calibration procedure will also be much more accurate if done right.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #14
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph
Hello, I just got my JVC-HD110... the left half the frame is darker than the right. It is this way in camera, and also when I capture the footage...
I have yet to get a hold of JVC. Any quick responses would be great!
Douglas,

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Your reseller is your first source to turn to for assistance. Please contact your reseller first and ask for a replacement unit, or JVC at 1-800-582-5825, Monday - Friday, 9AM to 5PM EST, and it will be resolved.

For the rest of you out there, please understand that there is a large number of this model being sold every month. We strive to catch any units before shipment that exhibit any abnormalities, but it looks like one slipped through. We are a company run by humans, you know. So, it will be delt with in a priority manner. We fully support our customers.

Due to improvements in our calibration process, there have been VERY FEW incidents of split screen with the GY-HD110U. In fact, I believe that this is the first incidence of split screen on a GY-HD110 to be posted on this forum, and the camera has been shipping for several months. And, I have not heard or seen ANY incidents of this issue with the GY-HD250 or GY-HD200. With the higher-end electronics of these new models, I doubt that there will be any split screen issues with them.

Regards,
Old January 8th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #15
New Boot

SSE on both 100 and 110

Just shot a wedding on Saturday with my 100 and the other shooter used a rented 110 with less than 10 hours on it. Prior to the shoot we set back focus checked for dead pixels (mine had two) and viewed both on a 23" HD monitor. We turned off the gain entirely as to avoid any split screen and checked to make sure we weren't getting any. Everything checked out so we figured we were cool. Only upon reviewing the footage was SSE evident on almost all of the footage from both cameras whether daylight exterior or tungsten interior. The effect persisted warm or not. Firestore was attached to the 110. Black stretch 2 was used on 110 and not on the 100. Both cameras were shot HDV 720p24. The other shooter was ready to buy one but now is afraid to. JVC told us the camera's were defective and needed to be sent in. My question is how can both suddenly be defective at the same time after being fine on check out?
I can't be without my camera on a regular basis while JVC adjusts it. Anyone send theirs in? How long does this take?

Evan
P.S. will send samples upon contact
Evan Gardner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems