30p Night Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 8th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #1
Major Player

30p Night Footage

HVR-V1U 30P LOW LIGHT NIGHT FOOTAGE DOWNTOWN HOUSTON

http://www.dvdaction.net/index_005.htm
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #2
New Boot

Thanks for that Brian. Your footage gives a good feel for what this camera looks like in demanding situations - which is to say very nice. I've just convinced the boss to go pick one up tomorrow.
Stuart Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Brian,

I downloaded the clip, but for me it seems as if it was a slideshow. No movement at all, just a sequence of still images. Is it my Mac does not like this Windows file format?

Could you please post something in Quicktime?
Old January 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
Hi Brian,

I downloaded the clip, but for me it seems as if it was a slideshow. No movement at all, just a sequence of still images. Is it my Mac does not like this Windows file format?

Could you please post something in Quicktime?
I will post an .mov file later today
Old January 8th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Trustee

Brian, what gain did you use for that shot. It looked very nice and relatively noise-free.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
Brian, what gain did you use for that shot. It looked very nice and relatively noise-free.
I used 0-3 gain @ 9 I started to get a small about of noise.
The footage that I posted was not color corrected.
I did color correct some of the footage with Vegas, I could push the gain up pretty high in Vegas with out degraded the image on the footage shot @ 0-3 gain.
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Do you mean, that when you push gain up in Vegas, the details are there even though black in the original footage?
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Major Player

scuse my ognorance - am I correct in thinking that 30P from the V1U doesn't require any post-processing as 24P does (pulldown removal), and can be dropped into an FCP project?
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #9
Major Player

No pulldown removal is required for 30p
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes
No pulldown removal is required for 30p
The Sony V1U stores all frame data in a 60i stream. The 24fps and 30fps progressive frame data stored in the 60i stream requires software to extract the progressive frame data from the 60i stream and reassemble it into the original progressive frame data, at the speed (rate 24fps or 30fps) you recorded it in. Pulldown is not requred for 30p like 24p. However extraction is.

In order to restore the 30 progressive frames you recorded to tape or disk on your NLE timeline, you must use software that extracts the 30p frame data from the 60 interlaced frames. The software then reassembles the frame data into 30 progressive frames.

If you don't use software to extract the data and reassemble it into 24p or 30p, your frame rate will be 60i, no matter how the frame data was recorded.

For a simple illustration of how 30p and 24p frame data is stored in a 60i stream, see the Sony website at: http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...ogressive.html

--Dave

Last edited by Dave F. Nelson; January 11th, 2007 at 06:13 PM.
Dave F. Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7