Grindhouse Effect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old January 10th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Grindhouse Effect

I want to add scratches and lots of other imperfections to a short movie I shot. I want it to look exactly like Grindhouse http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplayli...tw=480&qth=300 I was wondering what is the easiest way to do this in After Effects without buying a plugin? I want scratches, dust, film coming out of the gate with perferations on the side, the works. Basically age it about 40 years. How should I do this?
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

i know u said u dont wana buy a plugin, but magic bullet misfire will do wht u want..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

LOL i saw this trailer and thought the exact same thing! I want that look. I have magic bullet (full version) but I can't get this look, especially with the white hairs.

Does anyone have a tutorial of how to get this exact look?

I have Cinelook filmres, but it runs very slowly, so i'd prefer not to use it.
I J Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

its caled misfire, a part of the mb package, but not mb itself...just as slow though...

another option might be edius Pro film look filter, as it allows u to mess with scratch colours as well
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #5
Trustee

Try this

I happen to have an overlay you can use. Take a look here:

http://www.stevengotz.com/filmgrain.htm
Old January 14th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Awsome film effect but i still want the film to jump a bit and to have perfs on the edges of it, how would you all recomind going around getting that effect?
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Scan some perforations and make a looping animation of them that is the same height as your composition. Then (in AE) stick that to the edge of of your video layer (parent the perfs to the video) then apply a wiggle to the horizontal position, with a little vertical, and maybe some rotation (you'll have to compensate for the blank spots top and bottom) video layer, with motion blur.

You might want to make your video layer slightly bigger than your composition too.

That's in-projector film going haywire. In camera film losing alignment needs to start when you shoot. See Fight club when they rattled the camera then stabilized it, then added the sprockets.

There is an offset effect in AE too. Maybe add some distortion effects to the image to get the look of the film misshaping....

You'll also have to make sure you get the colour to flicker, inconsistent brightness and, usually, a red flare coming in from one side or other.

Mess around to fine tune.
Conor Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Trustee

Nice job Conor. I saw the email in my inbox and started formulating an answer as I clicked on the link. Your answer was almost exactly what I was getting ready to write.
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz View Post
I happen to have an overlay you can use. Take a look here:

http://www.stevengotz.com/filmgrain.htm
thank you for posting this. I've been looking for a film grain effect that was free mainly because I'm just a poor college student. But in all honesty this is an amazing overlay you've got here. Well done, thanks a lot.
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

How can you make the video look like the film is going up and down like it does at the start of the trailer there.
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:31 AM   #11
Regular Crew

It depends on what program you have. After effects with magic bullet plug ins does it pretty well but if you dont have the plug ins a wiggle expression will work just fine. Pull your footage into after effects and make a comp for it. Then click on the footage and bring up the position control (just type "p" and it will come up).

Next hold down the alt key and click on the position stopwatch (i think thats what its called, the button that tells it u wanna animate it). A coding area will pop up under it. Type "wiggle (#,#)" but in the # put actual numbers. This will tell after effects to randomly move the layer. The first number tells how often and the second number tells how much (I think). You can look it up on google and probably get a better description of it.

Its funny, I started this thread so I have figured it all out, it seems funny that now I'm giving advice on my own question.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:19 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Well you know what your talking about, thanks for the info it works perfect Alan I really appriciate it!
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects