First pirated HD DVD movie appears online at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 18th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #1
Wrangler

First pirated HD DVD movie appears online

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070115-8622.html

Quote:
The pirates of the world have fired another salvo in their ongoing war with copy protection schemes with the first release of the first full-resolution rip of an HD DVD movie on BitTorrent. The movie, Serenity, was made available as a .EVO file and is playable on most DVD playback software packages such as PowerDVD.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Trustee

I found out about that about 2 days ago and I was too pissed off to post it because every time I’m looking for new information about the state of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD on Google, that news was constantly popping up making my searches more difficult.

I knew this was going to happen soon for HD-DVD since there were countless articles written by the file sharing communities praising that HD-DVD’s have a chance of being cracked. They probably had cocktail parties once they found out that a full HD-DVD is available online.

Joking aside, what they need to realize is that there are other copy protection schemes that haven’t been used yet and this give companies a reason to enable it. You already have Microsoft going to far with Vista. Using that example, Microsoft can use that to justify Vista.

If this gets out of hand you may see Universal going to Blu-Ray by the end of this year.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Trustee

Blu-ray Encryption Defeated

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5795

Like I said, this is going to be a great excuse for companies who want to put a lot more protection schemes. Microsoft is already going too far and I hope Apple doesn’t.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #4
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

There will never be a software lock that is 100% foolproof as there is just too many people pulling them apart compared to how many people are involved in making them.

Even the use of dongles and can be broken.

There will be ways around VISTA no problems just like there was with the 30 day XP thing.

However it could get worse for companes if they go too far as normal people will start to use cracks as well instead of being made to follow some long online registration method etc. What about if you have no internet or just like messing around with your computer specs/clock etc.

With HD DVD's, you can always just point your HDV camera at that High Res LCD screen and record it.

Interesting anyhow.
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #5
Trustee

AACS LA to go after HD hackers

http://www.net-security.org/news.php?id=13380
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media