Scene splitting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 19th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Scene splitting?

Does anyone have a problem with the scene splitting output from HDLink? In that it causes problems in the NLE? I've captured footage from my XH-A1, using HDLink (v3.3) and scene splitting, producing about 160 clips.

If I 'play around' with those clips in Vegas 6d it crashes, not on any particular clip, but at random. Sometimes on the timeline the media shows unavailable - and then crashes. Sometimes when I preview in the media pool and even when I move it from the explorer to the media pool, it often crashes. I've captured twice this way - once with smart render and once without and both have the same result.

If I capture to a single (very large) AVI and use that in Vegas I have no problems - except I've had to chop it up by hand in Vegas, which is a bit tedious. I've also pulled in a load of clips from another project that was done in DV as opposed to Cineform and had no problems with that.

I have submitted a ticket and Jake is trying to figure it out, but just wondered if anyone had seen anything similar.
Simon Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You can use HDVSplit (freeware) to both capture your HD footage and, if already captured as one large file, to scene split.
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nope. That method doesn't seem to work on my m2t files, it just produces hundreds of tiny files.

I wonder if this is something to do with how the A1 does the timecode?
Simon Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sorry, my bad... I thought you have a Sony HVR-A1, which works fine with HDVSplit... if it's a Canon XH-A1, than you're right, it won't work.
Old January 20th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #5
Major Player

I had that problem before with XL-H1, Scene Splitting did not work and I did a ticket with Jake also, but nothing came out of that and the problem was never solved. I just use Vegas7 and that works fine for me.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Dean
Does anyone have a problem with the scene splitting output from HDLink? In that it causes problems in the NLE? I've captured footage from my XH-A1, using HDLink (v3.3) and scene splitting, producing about 160 clips.

If I 'play around' with those clips in Vegas 6d it crashes, not on any particular clip, but at random. Sometimes on the timeline the media shows unavailable - and then crashes. Sometimes when I preview in the media pool and even when I move it from the explorer to the media pool, it often crashes. I've captured twice this way - once with smart render and once without and both have the same result.

If I capture to a single (very large) AVI and use that in Vegas I have no problems - except I've had to chop it up by hand in Vegas, which is a bit tedious. I've also pulled in a load of clips from another project that was done in DV as opposed to Cineform and had no problems with that.

I have submitted a ticket and Jake is trying to figure it out, but just wondered if anyone had seen anything similar.
Capture in either HDLink or HDVsplit as one file then split the file as a 2nd step. This has worked for me every time, I was having similar issues and thought it was a firewire card issue, cam issue, deck issue, etc.
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm having the same problem when capturing with scene detection ON in Connect HD 3.4.1 and Vegas 7d. I'm doing a simultaneous conversion to medium size without saving the m2t. Most of the clips have the video portion15 frames shorter than the audio. Doing anything on the Vegas timeline with these clips causes Vegas to randomly go poof (shut down).

The clips play in WMP11 but with a strobing flash across the whole screen. The clips crash Nero ShowTime. I have the file types for .avi and .m2t set to Vegas.

I'm going to try delete all the scene detected clips and recapture as one long medium Cineform .avi and see if that works. That'll mean manually cutting about 200 clips.

So far I'm not impressed with Connect HD.
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I decided not to experiment with Cineform Connect HD again given a tight deadline on this project. So I simply captured as m2t via Vegas's own capture utility and am happily editing away.
Old March 31st, 2007, 06:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Probably your computer

I had a similar problem at first with my old computer. It wasn't fast enough to both capture the m2t and then convert in one step. I then went to capturing m2t only and in another step converting the m2t and the scenes were detected in the second step and were perfect. My new computer (much more cpu power) can capture and convert in one step, never a problem.
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm having a similar problem. HD Link build 38 (trial), Vegas 7d build 192, E6600 Core Duo, Intel 975xbx2 MB, xp Pro, Evga 8800GTX, 2gb ram, running a 640gb raid0, Canon XH-A1.

If I capture without using scene detection it works great, with the exception of having to split the file manually. If I turn on scene detection it works just as well with the exception that capture will stop in the middle of a scene, at random. Clicking start restarts everything just fine but you cant capture unattended.
One added side note. Using scene detection to capture, Vegas seems more unstable when I use those clips. If I add more than one or two short clips to the timeline, Vegas will freeze or crash. At the same time I can use the one large clip and put it on the timeline an there are no issues.
Bruce Ellingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #11
Sponsor: CineForm

Bruce, make sure you're running the latest build of Connect HD.

http://www.cineform.com/downloads/Co...D-3.4.2.38.zip
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yup, sure am. In fact I had to unistall 36, reboot, install 38 and reboot to keep Vegas from crashing constantly.
I'm roughing a fun project at the moment and it is all working perfectly, with the exception of the scene splitting. I'm wondering if it could be an anomaly within the xh-a1 that HDLink interprets as a scene cut. I have captured the same footage several times and it will not repeat a stop point, so it would seem to be somewhat random.
Bruce Ellingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You could be dropping firewire packets, producing false scene breaks. If you capture an M2T and convert with scene breaks, does it get it correct each time (if so use a different firewire port.)

I just re-read you message, please confirm 38 is now stable with Vegas 7d?
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #14
New Boot

I am having equally frustrating problems capturing with HDLink (Aspect HD 4.3) on my Canon XH-A1. I get the strobing playback in WMP and within the PPro 1.5.1 timeline it just skips to the end of the clip.

I have tried open trouble tickets with cineform support a few days ago but only recieved a semi-automated response to uninstall/re-install everything which hasn't helped. I realize it was Easter weekend but I need some help as my workflow is paralyzed.

Anyone have similar issues with Aspect HD 4.x? How were you able to resolve them?

BTW, this was a machine upgraded from Aspect HD 3.3. I have made sure to try and clean the o/s of any components left after uninstallation and reinstalled everything from scratch (PPro 1.5, 1.5.1 patch, Aspect HD).
Frank Pitsikalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #15
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Easter is over, follow up on your ticket as the support staff is here. Send a sample of a strobing clip to support.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase