HD100 audio question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 24th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Inner Circle

HD100 audio question

Regarding the JVC Hd100 camera, If one uses a mixer and is the internal on board preamp being bypassed? Or does the audio signal still go through the camera's built in preamp.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #2
Major Player

How would using something external to the camera bypass anything inside the camera? The audio on the GY-HD100 inputs is mic/line switchable. If you're in line, there's no pre-amplification running in the camera (or any camera that offers such a switch).
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Darling
How would using something external to the camera bypass anything inside the camera? The audio on the GY-HD100 inputs is mic/line switchable. If you're in line, there's no pre-amplification running in the camera (or any camera that offers such a switch).
I really don't know Eric, but on another board, they were saying only high end cameras have the ability to by pass the on board audio preamp. And therefore running a preamp on a camera withOUT that bypass capability is not going to improve your sound significantly cuz the limiting factor is the cameras built in preamp.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Well, I guess the HD-100 qualifies as a "high-end" camera, then. I can tell you this much... The audio quality on the camera is very good - certainly good enough to master from. It's clean as a whistle when using the line inputs. Depending on your field mixer, you may be feeding mic or line level, so check your mixer settings. Obviously, you want to keep the noise floor as low as possible, so always use the line level inputs when connected to a mixer. I only use the mic level switch when an actual microphone is connected directly to the camera (the nat sound shotgun, for instance).

I've done plenty of field audio recording over the years to a wide variety of recorders and cameras. This one definitely ranks as pro quality. I can't hear a difference between it (in either uncompressed 48K PCM when rolling in SD or the MPEG audio in HD mode) and the recordings made on the Varicam, FWIW. Apples to apples, it's a non-issue.
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #5

Unfortunately, just like compressed MPEG video, the compressed MPEG audio isn't the best format in the world to squeeze out some quality hi fidelity musical recordings. It works fine for normal volume voice levels, but, is limited in bandwidth for better quality. The solution, as asked about, is to bypass the compression stage by recording to a seperate audio recorder. If there's any amplification going on, it's fairly irrelevant, it's the comression you want to avoid. Either way, there's no reason not to feed audio to your external recorder and pass it thru to the camera afterwards. There should be no appreciable time delay and resulting loss of sync.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #6
Major Player

For live music recording, it's always best practice to roll the master sound to a separate recorder.
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #7

I would pass an audio signal from the external recorder(master) to camera, if only so i could use the onboard audio waveform to help sync up the master to the video. As long as there's a fairly short cable run between the audio recorder and the cam, there shouldn't be a sync issue.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #8
Major Player

actually , i did a50 day series for Israeli secend channel with this camera on hdv mode , it sounds very well with the compression for the dialog , no problems at all , you just need to run the levels and work with good mics and preamp , in dv mode this camera sounds better then any other camera in its range ( z1 , panasonics and even the twice sony 450 or 500)
i really think that the preamps are by passed since there is a hudge different working with mic or line inputs .
the camera has to line input gain settings , the 12 or 20 reference , the 12 is better for mixers or devices which pull out -10 dbv signal , the 20 for the +4 dbu outputs .
if you work with with +4 or 0 dbu reference tone mixer , dil the the input till you get the next step on the meter after -20 will lit , then go bit back as every dot is 4 db , ride the levels you get at least -10 dbfs lit on your picks
the headphone amp get distortion about in -4 dbfs so dont panic its just the headphone amp , sony cameras distorts on -10 ( hd-900 and similar) .
dont use line outs to send back to your mixer as reference , it doesnt distort but it hissy as hell , actually headphone out have better reference signal till it distort .
excellent camera sound wise if you ask me
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #9
Major Player

except the music or if you intend go to cinema release i really wouldnt be bother by compression in hdv format , i really would not be bother by anything if i recording in dv format
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio