New XH A1 camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 5th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New XH A1 camera

Has anybody tried the new cannon xha1 yet. I was wondering what hd camera to get and this is looking promising. It is on offer at £2330 uk, don't know what it is going in the us but over hear it is looking a good price. It is evan cheaper than the sony pd170 I already own.
Robert Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm going to be getting one soon although I'm waiting on the price dropping a little hopefully once the initial rush has died down (will it?). There is a full forum on this site and it has loads of sample clips, some of which are real eye candy!

PM me if you want to discuss UK side of things.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

We've been using one since the beggining of November and I got two words for ya, A - mazing!

Eric Hansen
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

for the price and the grunt under the hood, i'll be jumping ship to it quite soon... Pana havent made larger <and cheaper> P2's>

Was gonna go an XLh1 simply coz i have Canon Prime lenses from my 5d and seeing a hdv clip shot with H1, with a mount 24-105L lense would be rather spiffy... and the DoF youd get by mounting an a 50mm 1.2L would pretty much make it look as cinematic as it could considering the budget... but i cant justify a 5k increase in cost for that.. id rather get 2 A1's
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Still Motion

Hey Peter,

Fromwhat I have heard and read, mounting any Canon lens onto an XL2 or XL-H1 using Canons EF adapter results in 9x the focal length. To get the right depth of field your after and closer to the same focal length, you would need a 35mm adapter, in which case you dont need the interchangeable lenses. A 35mm adapter would work great with the A1 and your lenses though.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Inner Circle

yeah thats what ive ben thinking Pat... and the resolving image would still be increbible schmick cosnidering the lens' can easily resolve 12mp...
with the H1, looking over this board, turns out that its a 7.2x zoom ratio @ 16x9... so were talking zoom ratios almost hitting the hundreds (as in 100x + optical zoom... were talking panavision range here.. lol )

if u consider mounting a 100-400L IS USM onto the unit.. 400mm x 7.2 = 2880mm = approx 80x optical zoom... (when u consider approx 325mm is approx 10x

the other issue is light and stability i guess.. its somethign to consider either way..
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Does anybody have any experience mixing the Canon XH-A1 with a Sony FX1/Z1U? I need something with a longer focal length than the FX/Z1 (without messing with lens attachments), and have also been planning to purchase a Z1 to go with my 2 FX1's for weddings. If I could just pick up a Canon A1 with its 20x lens and match it with my FX1's as a third camera for weddings (without too much headache) it might save me some money.

For those with personal experience... how does the low-light of the XH-A1 stack up against an FX1?

Thanks!
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

matt, the A1, unlike the FX and Z1, is TOTALLY tweakable.. (this is why i like it.. ) in turn, u can match ANY configuration.. in doing this, i would recomend a colour chart as well as a BW chart.. u might not be perfect, but small tweaks can always be done..
I can consistantly match JVChd1010 footage with DVX100 footage and u cant tell the diff unless you look for the differences, this which clients do not..
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:33 PM   #9
Major Player

thanks Peter, I value your opinion and I have decided to go with an XH-A1. I think that the features of the camera will be a nice addition to what I am able to offer with my 2 FX1's, and if I can tweak the canon to match the sony's for multicam shoots.. then all the better!
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:34 PM   #10
Inner Circle

without sony bashing here, youll actually need to dumb it down a little with lower saturation and sharpness levels. Also low light performance of the A1 exceeds the FX1 by abotu 1 to 2 stops in real world environments. IMO, id use the A1 as the main cam, and the other 2 as B and C roll
This way, the 20x zoom can be used at its ultiamte as the DoF is much shallower at longer zooms, so dont be afraid to use it.. u also wont get the type of colour gradation on the other 2 as the A1, so be aware of lighting whereever you go, as these will mess with WB settings. A blue/grey card might be your best option with WB
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders