Bad day for Chuck - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:26 PM   #16
Major Player

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/d...d_a_Bullet.wmv

Well... here is what will probably be my last posted cut.

Please let me know what you think. I've added some music and removed/edited a few scenes.

Thanks again everyone!

Mike
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:47 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Mike:

Nice job on the final. I thought the drink in the end was really superfolous, and kind wrecked the feel of the film. Sound for calls is much better, too.

I just realized you and I hand very similar last scenes in the films we did for honor an glory..
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Chris!

Quote:
I just realized you and I hand very similar last scenes in the films we did for honor an glory..
Yes, in a way that's true. :)

Mike
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #19
Major Player

I love it! The music helps a lot, the movie doesn't seem as stretched out now. I'm with Chris on the drink, I think things work better without it. And I'm not sure if it's just my imagination, but the page in the beginning seems much clearer now, while still retaining the sound of a hospital PA announcement.

A very funny film you've made here, great work!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens
I love it! The music helps a lot, the movie doesn't seem as stretched out now. I'm with Chris on the drink, I think things work better without it. And I'm not sure if it's just my imagination, but the page in the beginning seems much clearer now, while still retaining the sound of a hospital PA announcement.

A very funny film you've made here, great work!
I worked on the page just a tad... I actually just increased the volume ever so slightly. I really appreciate all the comments and critiques that you guys have given me. It's the only way to learn... :)

Thanks again,

Mike
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens
I must strongly disagree with Nick, however, with regard to the lighting. The only time you would really need to match color temperatures is if you're using unseen lighting equipment to supplement existing illumination. If, for example, you're in a room with sunlight coming in through a window, and you need to fill in some of the darker areas in the room, you'd want the color to match, so it seems natural. But in a situation like this, the mismatch is expected: a doctor's office would have fluorescent lighting, and a desk would have an incandescent lamp. It's a natural part of the scene's setting. Whether or not we actually get to see the source of the overhead lights, we assume they're there, and it's not strange to see the two kinds of light together like this.
Robert, I have to agree with you here. I guess I was just caught up in the whole "those lights don't match" I just went off on a limb. In a real doctor's office you'd have both and it's more realistic. I guess I was just thinking more lighting for talking heads...

On the new cut: way to go. I really like the music on this one better, and taking the drink out makes it feel much better. I also like how you took out that pulsing and sound effects from the x-ray. Very funny video, great job.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #22
Major Player

Nick, thanks for that. We really had a lot of fun making this.

I have a string of scenes that we shot of the Doctor telling the patient (in not so direct ways) that he is going to die. :)

I think I'll rough edit them together and post them for kicks. Maybe you guys can let me know if you think they fit with the rest of the short.

Mike
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi

As being the blushing one theese days, I should probably keep my mouth shot, but... BTW I watched both links.

Wow... You got an idea out of the challenge! My idea was/is so much cheaper! Wow!
like the idea a lot.

When i DL this, it looks kinda soft and without any CC
CC... Looks not planned here. Focus seems soft throughout 'cept from shallow dof shots. Hm...

Pacing
I get the idea of an ending point, BUT
as you do that so rapidly & without images... dunno if that's really it, though. Just feels kinda weird @ the end.

Audio.

OK.
Sounds harsh. And I have no right nor intention to.
I know.
But I like the idea. I just don't like the smalltime TV-network feel to it I guess.

The idea is sorta better and shorter.

But!!!!
Good work!

Gunleik
(who really hopes not to offend)
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #24
Major Player

No problem, thanks for the input!

The sound was direct from the on camera mic of an old camcorder. The sound quality is pretty poor...
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #25
Major Player

Here are some clips I threw together...

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/d...ing_to_die.wmv

The Doctor is contemplating different ways to tell his patient the bad news. ;)
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Mike,

Haven't had (or made! haha) the time to read through everyone else's comments, but here's my take on the final cut (from the first post on the thread):

I like the idea and thought the ending was funny! Good job!

There were only 2 things that i didn't like. My biggest gripe was how long it took to get to the conclusion which, again, was very funny. Second, was the doctor constantly hanging up on the person he was talking to? haha that was funny too... except i'm not sure that was the intent. The problem is that the person on the phone was never actually saying any real words so i wasn't completely sure that the doctor was hanging up on him or what... If the person on the phone had been saying something, you could at least have gradually made him more irate with being hung up on, you could have cut off his words, etc.

that's it really. Just those 2 things. Hahaha i loved it when the sick patient just fell to his knees and fell over. Oh that's one last thing, that last moment might have been funnier if it had either cut after he fell to the floor (cutting out the doctor's "phew, that takes care of that!") or if the doctor's response had been faster and more pronounced (like a "YES!! Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!" or something). This might be just me though, so don't take this last critique as anything more than my personal preference because i'm really not sure that anyone would agree with this.
Raji Barbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raji Barbir
Mike,

Haven't had (or made! haha) the time to read through everyone else's comments, but here's my take on the final cut (from the first post on the thread):

I like the idea and thought the ending was funny! Good job!

There were only 2 things that i didn't like. My biggest gripe was how long it took to get to the conclusion which, again, was very funny. Second, was the doctor constantly hanging up on the person he was talking to? haha that was funny too... except i'm not sure that was the intent.

Yes, that was the intent. He hung up, cutting him off at times. :)

The problem is that the person on the phone was never actually saying any real words so i wasn't completely sure that the doctor was hanging up on him or what...

Yes he was... maybe it wasn't clear enough? Hmm... you should be able to make out what he's saying?

If the person on the phone had been saying something, you could at least have gradually made him more irate with being hung up on, you could have cut off his words, etc.

Being his male secretary, he has learned to live with it. ;)

that's it really. Just those 2 things. Hahaha i loved it when the sick patient just fell to his knees and fell over. Oh that's one last thing, that last moment might have been funnier if it had either cut after he fell to the floor (cutting out the doctor's "phew, that takes care of that!") or if the doctor's response had been faster and more pronounced (like a "YES!! Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!" or something). This might be just me though, so don't take this last critique as anything more than my personal preference because i'm really not sure that anyone would agree with this.
Thanks for the comments!

Audio is something I definitely had trouble with on this one.

Mike
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #28
Major Player

"You know that old expression, 'live every day like it was your last'?"
"Yah."
"Well you can add that to the list of things I should have told you yesterday."

OK, please don't take these to heart. I'm nothing special, just a guy who loves movies. Here are my observations...

The pace is really slow. For a short it may not seem like a big deal since most people are willing to sit through 5 minutes of anything. But this pace is slow and it needs a boost. Jokes need pace too. Watch some of Benny Hill's shorts, notice how he paces his jokes. Monte Python is another fine example but feel free to pick your favorite comedy show and count how many times the audience laughs and how intense the laughter is and how much time elapses between them.

The doctor should have a motivation for leaving his office and crossing in front of the waiting room. Bathroom, break room, pizza delivery guy who's not allowed into the buildings because of company policy.

Need more cuts. I'm guilty of doing this myself. You need to make it more visually interesting by filming more angles. Make the angles fit the narrative. Don't forget to do some isolation shots, a hand tapping a pencil, a knee anxiously bouncing, that kind of thing. These will absolutely save your butt in the editing room. One glaring example is when he looks at the x-ray. This needed three more angles at least.

There is also a logic problem. Nobody waits from 10:51 AM to 1:17 PM without talking/screaming at somebody. More room for comedy as patient after patient of Richard's comes in and is seen with little or no waiting.

The voice over thing in the beginning, you can lose that. To me, this doctor works in a private office, not a hospital. If you really want to sell/make it a hospital then you need some kind of establishing shot like an exterior of a real hospital. Then cut to the doctor at this desk as the announcement comes up in the soundtrack.

The ending is a joke. It's funny. To make it hilarious, I think you need to make the doctor sweat more. Telling this guy, this news, on this day is killing him. He asks Richard to do it for him. He calls his wife to see if she has any advice and in desperation asks if she'll come down and help him. Your actor is young enough, maybe this is his first day being in private practice. The more the doctor sweats the funnier the joke. The anger between the doctor and the person who keeps calling him reminding him he's got a patient waiting could really be built up too. It should build to a crescendo where the doctor finally yells at the phone "OKAY!" slams it down and walks to the waiting room. The cancer guy and the doctor are both fuming as they come face to face and then he drops dead there. Silence. Doctor's face. Receptionist's face. Richard's face. Everyone holds their collective breath for a moment then the Doctor walks over to the receptionist, "Call the morgue, tell them the togo order is ready and did you finish today's sudoku?" Fade out on that.

Just a few suggestions. Don't take any of this to heart, I'm critiquing the movie not the person. We do have the same sick sense of humor though.

I hope this helps some.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #29
Major Player

Thanks for that.... I agree with much of it. MANY more cuts/edits are needed.

As for comedy style, I agree with Monty Python, but I've always hated Benny Hill. Go figure... ;)

The pacing also needs work, I agree completely.

A couple of things... I work at a hospital. It's not supposed to be a private office, but that doesn't really matter. The PA announcement should have helped with that distinction. As for the waiting time... like I said... I work at a hospital. :) You might be surprised.

As for the joke at the end... I didn't want it to be too silly. That's why I didn't go with a silly joke.

I agree with many of your comments and I'm going to try and improve on my pacing and editing for the next flick. Hopefully we'll see something from you for the Honour & Glory challenge!

EDIT: Thanks again for taking the time to write that up, I really appreciate it. My goal is to keep learning as I go.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Horrigan; February 14th, 2007 at 08:13 AM.
Mike Horrigan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work