Wide Angle Adaptor-Zoom or not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 27th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wide Angle Adaptor-Zoom or not?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking into buying the $500 wide angle adaptor for my camera lens. I have read a thread about this, but I am still unsure...can you zoom through it or not? I know that it is said that you can't zoom through adaptors but you can through converters. However, people selling this adaptor have been marketing it as zoom-throughable. I'm confused.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the adaptor and if it is worth buying.

Thanks,
Sharon
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Trustee

Can you put up a link to the adapter you are talking about?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

According to the info I have read on JVC and B&H sites the JVC thread on WA adaptor for the 16X stock lens is a zoom thru

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #4
Trustee

The JVC is zoom through. However, I am not sure that is the one the poster is talking about. The JVC wide angle converter is listed at $599 (though B&H sells it for $509.95), and the poster is specifically talking about an _adapter_ at $500.
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I'd have to think that the price he stated was an approximate and that the $9.00 difference probably wouldn't be much of a problem. AFAIK the JVC is the only WA attachment for the stock lens at this time. I could be wrong on both counts though.

Don
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom
I'd have to think that the price he stated was an approximate and that the $9.00 difference probably wouldn't be much of a problem. AFAIK the JVC is the only WA attachment for the stock lens at this time. I could be wrong on both counts though.

Don
Here is the recent thread talking about a $500 _adapter_.:
http://www.vfgadgets.com/RedEye.htm

This is the RedEye, 82mm, and it is not zoom through. There is a link to this adapter in the first thread of the post referenced above.

The JVC WCV-82SC Wide angle converter for Th16x5.5BRMU lens is a _converter_, not an adapter, and it is 100% zoom through.

Century also makes a .8x converter for the JVC camera, and it too, since it is a converter, is 100% zoom through.

On the other hand, adapters are _not_ zoom through -- though some people will say they are able to use them for partial zooming on a particular lens. Nevertheless, adapters are designed to be used only with the widest setting of the lens.

On the other hand again, converters are zoom through and are made to be that way.

Converters offer less wide-angle and adapters. Century makes a .7x/.5x adapter set that works on the JVC camera (with the proper lens adapter and solid ring) that has been industry standard for several years.

This is completely different than the .8x converter made by Century.

Converters = 100% zoom thru
Adapters = Not zoom thru (though partial zooming is possible with certain adapter/lens/camera combinations)
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

My Mistake

So I guess I am talking about the converter. And it is good to know that it is zoom through.

How have people liked it?

In the same price range is there a better one?

Thank you all for helping me out and sorting through my confusion.
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #8
Inner Circle

OK Jack,
You win.
The first and only thing that came to my mind was the JVC so my apoligies for any misinterpretation or misleading statements.

Don
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #9
Trustee

Don,
It turns out you're right!

Regarding the JVC converter, I haven't used it, but I have read a number of posts from people who have used it and they like it.

The only thing that comes up is that it is not as wide as they would like, but it does add a 18% width to the frame.

The comparable Century converter (.8x), according to a Century person, is the same, with the possible exception that the Century made be slightly sharper in the far corners, but not noticeably so for most applications.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems