Brevis and the HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 30th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Brevis and the HV20

Here's a rough test clip that I CC'd for effect. Used the Brevis and HV20. The flickering you see on the edges of the frame were due to operator error. :) Just needed to zoom in slightly more on the image, but I'm new to this stuff so be kind.

http://disk.dvinfo.net/public/media/...V20-72024p.mov
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Nice shot for giving us a feel of how the Brevis looks.

Is that the basic screen on the Brevis, or one of the newer ones ?

Ordered my HV20 from BH today, as they were first to indicate the camera was in stock. This just before they shut down for evening, 24 hours, as usual. They indicate they will be closed next week, but that orders placed today will be sent Sunday/Monday...

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; March 30th, 2007 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Add content to post
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the sample

Barlow, You look like you are getting there pretty fast. I think you should keep the little HV20, and though an HVX200 is certainly a way better all around camera, these HV20s sure have a great image under decent conditions. It has a really great look at least in your footage and color correction choices. I've got some diver's gears from B&H and will be adding a follow focus if my Brevis35 works out well, maybe a week out still. Looks like a great little combo. I'm going to start with just a 50mm Nikon, but where there is potential.....
Thanks, Alan
Alan Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Tourist

barlow, what's that "hit" at the 44 second mark? image jumps/distorts a bit. have you seen a lot of that with the HV20?
Zak Forsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Not sure. Possibly a hiccup from the adapter or a rolling shutter? I think I was accidentally in auto mode (yeah, pretty smart, I know) and that probably aggravated things to some extent.

Only had a few hours with the camera, and I only saw that effect once with the adapter. Stock lens footage was fine.

Allen--Thanks :)
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Maybe you answered this, but was OIS on ? My FX1 has all kinds of problems with OIS on with my Mircro 35. At that 44 second mark, your hand was up around lens to focus, I assume, and it almost seemed like bump, with OIS trying to compensate. Hand carried or tripod, I don't think you can use OIS on these adapters.
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Barlow,
Thanks for posting, but I'm confused....Did you shoot this? (it look's like Michael Schoenfeld's assistant again in this footage)

I am looking at that combo, but there are some concerns with the image jitter (even w/out the adapter) in other threads.

I also want to see what Denis has in the way of stepdown rings for the Brevis.

BTW: What's up with XLCinema these days (is it offline?)

Hope you are well,
J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 06:35 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton View Post
Hey Barlow,
Thanks for posting, but I'm confused....Did you shoot this? (it look's like Michael Schoenfeld's assistant again in this footage)
Michael was kind enough to let me try out his little combo the other day. Yes, I shot it with Chris, his assistant.

Quote:
I am looking at that combo, but there are some concerns with the image jitter (even w/out the adapter) in other threads.
Haven't had enough time with the camera to see if the jitter is a consistent thing. Mike Pappas has shot quite a bit with his HV20 so far and hasn't reported the problem.

Quote:
BTW: What's up with XLCinema these days (is it offline?)
Not sure exactly. Shane's out of town on a shoot and inaccessible. It should be back up soon.

Last edited by Barlow Elton; March 31st, 2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:27 AM   #9
Trustee

Hey Barlow, quick question. I am assuming that the Brevis is a non flip adapter so this footage was viewed upside down in the VF/LCD?

I'll be getting my HV20 today (the new all purpose vacation cam plus doubles as deck and b-roll for my XL-H1) and I am curious about the Brevis as I am not that familiar with it.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 08:31 AM   #10
Major Player

Marty,
http://www.cinevate.com/
is the home of Dennis' Brevis - He is around on these forums too.

I am very excited by this combo - the one thing I have a question with (besides camera jittering & ois) is the step down rings used to attach the HV20 & the Brevis...

Barlow,
How was Michael's attached to the - what is it a 34mm on the Canon Lens?

Exciting combo,
I am wondering about Sound now

J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:52 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I believe you need step up rings

I ordered one 43mm to 55mm and one 55mm to 72mm step up ring from B&H though my Brevis35 isn't due for a week. It looks like the achromat might be needed for the HV20 though I got the HD bundle anyway for HVX200 and HD110 use. Dennis can clarify and he is going to be carrying rings for the HV20s.
Regards, Alan
Alan Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:14 PM   #12
Major Player

Barlow,
I just got to play with the HV-20 (had it for over a week now and finally get to play) in the rain ...
How you feeling about the inter-cut with the bigger (A1) Canon cams now?
Salah Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:10 PM   #13
Major Player

Alan, that's correct. We are now stocking the ring sets to attach 43mm filter cams (like the HV20), 58mm threads, 62mm filter threads (V1U) and 82mm cams. For 72mm filter cams, they would attach with no step rings.

With our latest 72mm HD achromat, and appropriate step rings, we can pretty much guarantee the adapter will work with every cam out there from the JVC HD200 cam down, and move in seconds from cam to cam.

Marty, like you, we'll be using the HV20 for testing/crash cam/and tape deck!
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:48 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah Baker View Post
Barlow,
I just got to play with the HV-20 (had it for over a week now and finally get to play) in the rain ...
How you feeling about the inter-cut with the bigger (A1) Canon cams now?
It seems like it will intercut well, but it won't be easy to make perfect matches the way you can between an A1 and a XL-H1. The HV20's image has its own unique feel and noise signature.
Old April 1st, 2007, 01:52 PM   #15
Major Player

shoot me an e-mail Barlow
with XLCinema down I forgot your email addy
Salah Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders