DVHSCap & MPEG Streamclip audio problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 6th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #1
New Boot

DVHSCap & MPEG Streamclip audio problem

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has had this problem. I've done a search and not found any reference to it.

When I use the DVHSCap & MPEG Streamclip to ingest footage, it all seems to work fine on the picture front. I convert to AIC and am able to work with it in FCP.

The problem is with the audio levels. They seem to get boosted by 6db by going through the DVHSCap/MPEG Streamclip process. I think it is a problem at the DVHSCap part of the workflow. I have played in footage both from the camera and the JVC deck and found the same results.

The footage that I've been able to capture using firewire has maintained the audio levels correctly.

I anyone knows what is going on I would really appreciate it. If I find no solution I will have to buy a capture device and take the signal from the composite or HDMI output. If this is the case I'd appreciate any advice on this front as well. Unfortunately we have shot a documentary and were unable to pre-roll on all our shots.

Many thanks in advance.
Alexei Kidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #2
New Boot

Right, I'm going to answer my own question here.

This may have been addressed in other posts but in case anyone comes across this problem I hope they find this by searching.

The default setting in the MPEG Streamclip when opening a .m2t causes this problem. When one opens the .m2t file, the window you view the clip in has some settings at the bottom of the window (Video PID - Audio PID - Audio Mode).

The 'Audio Mode' is, by default, set to 'High Level'. This boosts the level by 6db. By selecting 'Low Level' the audio levels will be the same as that recorded on your tape.

It seems absolutely crazy that this is the default setting (after trashing my prefs it was still the default setting).
Alexei Kidel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems