Canon ZR-2000 zoom control opinions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 31st, 2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Major Player

ZR-2000 Manual?

Canon has NO references to this controller online...none. Sites that sell it have minimal information.

Where can you find a manual online? Specially, how do you focus? It is not obvious from the pictures, which don't show any focusing knob, rocker, or buttons.

It is fairly cool unit, with an auto focus/manual focus switch, auto focus button, zoom rate knob, and peaking and magnify buttons. It seems the only thing missing is an iris control?

Thanks,

David
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Canon ZR-2000 - Buyer's Remorse...

I am usually a big fan of Canon products. When I had the opportunity to get a controller, I opted not to get the Varizoom Rocker controller I was looking at in favor of the Canon ZR-2000.

I decided this because of it allowed me to access many of the features of my new A1, which the Varizoom didn't. Especially Auto/manual focus, Peak and some others.

Boy am I wondering if I didn't make a mistake. Talk about your cheap hunk of plastic. This thing has got to be the absolutley worse product I have ever purchased from Canon. It feels like it will break if you just look at it wrong. At $399 I am really feeling the pain.

Has anybody used one of these in the field? Did it hold up? I swear the switches are only a few flicks from snapping off. The casing is so poorly fitted together it creaks.

I can still return it if I don't use it. Your info is greatly appreciated.
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use the ZR-1000 and it works great for me. Sorry about your bad luck.
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Farris
I use the ZR-1000 and it works great for me. Sorry about your bad luck.
Is yours flimsy?
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and keep this thing. I will let you know if it holds up or falls apart.
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #6
New Boot

I found the ZR-2000 to be a bit slow on response when recently used with a Canon XH-A1. I preferred to operate using the on camera controls rather than the ZR-2000. Also not a very robust controller.
Michael Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lucido
Well, I decided to bite the bullet and keep this thing. I will let you know if it holds up or falls apart.
How's the ZR-2000 after using it for awhile?
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #8
Major Player

My mini review...

It doesn't totally suck. In fact, if it weren't for the cheap build of the thing I would give it high marks.

The manual/Aufto focus switch and push button focus are something I use all the time. Switching mag/peak on/off is also a great plus. The speed dial/zoom is cool after you get used to it. The toggle is responsive. REC is instant.

The mounting truly sucks.

Still, if you own an A1,H1 or G1 you will really find this to have all your cool new features at your finger tips.
Old January 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I just went to the Canon USA site and try to find some info on the ZR-2000, but I couldn't find any info. In the Canon XH-A1 accessories it list the ZR-2000 with no info underneath.
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

The operations of this controller are self-explanatory. It really doesn't need a manual. There's a very limited instruction sheet included when you buy it. Otherwise, just plug it into the camera and use it. The various features (focus, zoom, etc.) are clearly marked on the controller. It ain't rocket science.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Canon ZR-2000 Zoom Remote Control -- no focus control?

I've been going through old posts but can't find this.

Does the Canon ZR-2000 Zoom Remote Control NOT have a manual focus control ability? It looks like you can put it in auto focus or push the AF button from this LANC, but you can't actually focus remotely? Can anyone tell me if that's the case?

Also, anyone found a LANC for the A1 they really like? Thanks.
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Canon XH to Remote Lens Controllers.

I'm not sure what leads you to think that the ZR2000 doesn't have remote focus control capability -- because it does. See attached photo below. Once the camera is switched to manual focus control, focus is adjusted remotely by using the focus control wheel on the right side of the ZR2000. Hope this helps,
Attached Thumbnails
Canon ZR-2000 zoom control opinions?-zr2000focuswheel.jpg  

Old January 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey thank you, Chris. I was just going off photos I was able to see of it on various sites, and never saw the one you just posted. Appreciate it, and assuming it does the job well, and unless someone wants to suggest a better alternative, that's what I'll be getting. Cheers.
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

It's the only LANC remote currently available that lets you use certain Canon-specific camera features, such as peaking and magnifying, for example. If you need remote access to those focus assist tools, then the ZR2000 is the right remote to get.

On the other hand... I'm not at all a fan of the plastic body. I used to work for VariZoom, and their controllers -- milled out of a solid chunk of aluminum -- are strong enough to use as hammers. The Canons are fairly delicate. Plus, the ZR2000 has a wimpy tripod clamp on the back. It won't open up wide enough for most pro-level pan handles. It'll fit the smaller diameter handles just fine, but be prepared to re-engineer the clamp if you're using an "industrial strength" pan handle.

Old January 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Couple more ZR2000 pics... click to see 'em big...
Attached Thumbnails
Canon ZR-2000 zoom control opinions?-zr2000back.jpg   Canon ZR-2000 zoom control opinions?-zr2000topcable.jpg  

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers