HV20's 24p in DV mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 15th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #1
Major Player

HV20's 24p in DV mode?

Hi, after downloading manual, it seems 24p is in HDV only? I'm interested too in 24p in mini-dv mode. So I guess if you use "DV locked" on output setting (as it outputs via IEEE 1394) HDV 24p is downconverted to 24p mini-DV to produce something akin to 24p on Panasonic DVX100 series?

Just curious...

Okay, now that ol' debate looms again - can someone maybe chime in on this: better to shoot HDV 24p and let software like Vegas do the 24p mini-dv "downconvert" or let the HV20 handle the downconvert on the fly? I know people here argued that the former appears better than the latter solution on other cams... same with HV20?
thx
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Contributor

when i downconvert i usually capture in hd and then downconvert, although most of the time i'll downconvert to uncompressed SD, or some other SD format other than dv, as it looks much better. here's a comparison screenshot of HDV downrez'd to DV and uncompressed 10bit, as you can see there is quite a difference.

http://file.meyersproduction.com/hv2...comparison.png
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Austin,

Are you using compessor to do the downconvert?

Thanks

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #4
New Boot

How do i downconvert to 10bit? Just "uncompressed avi" ?
Thank you!
Max
Maximilian Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kubat View Post
Okay, now that ol' debate looms again - can someone maybe chime in on this: better to shoot HDV 24p and let software like Vegas do the 24p mini-dv "downconvert" or let the HV20 handle the downconvert on the fly? I know people here argued that the former appears better than the latter solution on other cams... same with HV20?
thx
I can say without a doubt that at least After Effects scales the video better than my HV20. The HV20 does a good job mind you, if I wanted an offline DV for editing it's great and easy, however if you absolutely need the highest quality you want to find the best software scaler I think.

And of course as Austin illustrated uncompressed SD is far, far superior to DV.
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Major Player

What's everyone's experience with going from HDV to SD DVD's?
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J Alessandria View Post
What's everyone's experience with going from HDV to SD DVD's?
In regards to image quality or workflow? Because image quality will be dependent on your source footage and workflow and encoding will depend on the quality of the MPEG2 encoder you are using.

I know that when I plug my HV20 to my pretty decent SD TV through composit connections the PQ is simply stunning, so a nicely encoded DVD connected to an SD display through S-Video or component should look even better.
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher View Post
In regards to image quality or workflow? Because image quality will be dependent on your source footage and workflow and encoding will depend on the quality of the MPEG2 encoder you are using.
Both image quality and workflow. From what I'm hearing, inputting and editing HDV and then downrezzing/compressing to SD DVD in most NLE's (I'm a Vegas user) is the preferred method. Vs. OP's question of "downrezzing" HDV footage in the camera by setting output to DV locked and capturing that in an NLE (not even sure you can output HDV 24p on the HV20 using "DV locked" but will be trying it since I have a stand alone DVD burner I'd like to use as well with my HV20)
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:49 AM   #9
Major Player

thanks for replies...

Hi everyone, thanks for your feedback - Peter, I am interested in your findings... Basically, I guess that's what I'm getting at... shooting HDV and then downrezzing to 24p SD DVD...

thanks!

Gosh, I remember when it was big news when Canon acquired the 24p licence - it all makes sense now! And how!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kubat View Post
Hi everyone, thanks for your feedback - Peter, I am interested in your findings... Basically, I guess that's what I'm getting at... shooting HDV and then downrezzing to 24p SD DVD...
Mark - I ran the HV20 to my Memorex stand alone DVD recorder the other day. I needed to switch the output on the camera to DV locked for the recorder to process the video, but once I did, it worked fine. 24p HDV downrezzed to about what I would expect from my DVX100, as SD DVD. Maybe slightly better. Also the DVD kept the look of proper 24p cadence, no problem. Don't know if the recorder is removing pulldown (the DVD also looked fine on my Sony DVD player) or if it just doesn't matter that the camera outputs 24p as 60i. Will probably be upgrading to Vegas 7 this week so will try out some computer editing then.
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:39 PM   #11
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Austin,

Are you using compessor to do the downconvert?

Thanks

Bob
sorry for the delay... i down rez straight out of fcp. file>export>quicktime movie, and then select "uncompressed..." or animation, if i want to work with the big file, otherwise i do the down rez'ing in compressor when i'm ready to export it. i just use the normal 16:9 dvd settings. and it works fine.

and that works for making 24p dvd's (if i've removed the pulldown) as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders