Intermediate codec poll at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 17th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Intermediate codec poll

As I continue my desperate search for a good intermediate HD codec (besides Cineform), I'm hoping to build a list of the other options.

-Lagarith
-HuffyUV
-Alparysoft

I'm using Lagarith at the moment for archival and editing, but my computer cannot play back a single stream in realtime. So I am looking for something a little bit more efficient. Cineform is the obvious choice, but I'd like to stick to free tools, preferably open source.

What is everyone else using?
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Trustee

Good luck. There are no good intermediate codecs other than Cineform, or we would have heard of them. In fact, I have not even heard of any moderately decent ones.

The problem is not lossless archiving. Those codecs exist. The problem is the ability to play it back while editing without rendering first.

Cineform may eventually get competition, but I haven't seen it yet.
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Edius HQ. Realtime Edius Pro editing.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Major Player

I will check out that Canopus solution. That is the one I haven't looked into yet, though it is also far from free.

What about Mainconcept's MPEG Pro?
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Trustee

Ah. Yes. I forget about Edius and Axio because I think of them as complete systems.

MainConcept is not an intermediate codec. It merely allows you a better native editing experience.
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Major Player

I use a two-stage editing process from run-and-gun shoots, so Mainconcept could come in handy for the first stage when quickly cutting up the raw footage into labeled pieces and rendering to the intermediate.

Maybe I will just cave in and buy cineform. Then again, the money I spend on cineform could be spent on hardware, which may be a more cost effective solution. I'm not sure I can depreciate software..

On another note, I think I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry about that.
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Inner Circle

For the price of Cineform you can get Edius Pro4 including the HQ intermediate codec. All realtime. YOu can always upgrade to Broadcast if you want XDCAm and Panasonic support for the proffesional formats. I have DVRaptor RT2 hardware and this gives realtime output to DV tape from the timeline no rendering. Edius has its little issues but it is FAST. For careful keyframe control I would use Vegas but most of the time for me its Edius just for the speed.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I downloaded the PIC MJPEG codec (from Pegasus Imaging) several years ago. It was free at the time, but I'm not sure if that still counts. It's really fast (realtime playback/capturing) and supports 4:2:2 colourspace but it's not lossless like huffy
Dek Rypter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #9
Major Player

QT Photo JPEG is the poor man's intermediate. 75% quality and above will give you 4:2:2 and 100% will give you 4:4:4 capability. The file sizes are small and playback is smooth. It's not an ideal solution but it's better than nothing, not much room for color work and adjustments.
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Trustee

Sheervideo by bitjazz. HQ, very fast and good compression size. Also can do 10 bit if you want to bring your work into AE.
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for all the good suggestions. After reading more about Canopus, it appears to be superior to Cineform. I will check out SheerVideo.
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #12
Major Player

On Windows, Blackmagic's full resolution (1920x1080) professional quality compressed HD codec can capture JPEG AVI files in real time
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #13
Trustee

Yes try the Blackmagic jpeg codec. It is free and all you have to do is download the Intensity 1.3 drivers to get the codec. The quality is pretty good for normal footage and is realtime even on some of my slower systems.

Cineform of course will be slightly higher quality but then again it costs money. If you wait a little bit for Cineform Neo the HDV version only costs $250.00 so it isn't like you could buy a lot of hardware at that cost anyway.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition