Pp2->ae7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Pp2->ae7

I have some footage shot on HDV 1080/60i. I edit in PP2 which includes luma key for some muzzle flashes and I open the project in AE7 so that I can add an adjustment layer and tweak the muzzle flash shots so that there is flash lighting in the area and on the shooter.

First of all, when I bring in any HDV footage into AE, it is just dogging it. It's a real effort to just scrub the timeline. My machine has a 3.6 GHZ Pentium multi-thread processor with 4GB of RAM (boot configured to allow apps access to 3GB, which AE does indeed see). My footage is on my media drive which is a 10K RPM SATA drive that is defreagged regularly. I also have OpenGL enabled. The vid card is an ATI x850.

Can anyone suggest how to improve the performance here?

Also, the clips that I have luma-keyed into my shot, when I take it into AE, the luma key is removed - Any way to overcome that? I suppose I could output uncompressed from PP2 but AE is supposed to understand a PP2 project.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughan Flynn View Post
I have some footage shot on HDV 1080/60i. I edit in PP2 which includes luma key for some muzzle flashes and I open the project in AE7 so that I can add an adjustment layer and tweak the muzzle flash shots so that there is flash lighting in the area and on the shooter.

First of all, when I bring in any HDV footage into AE, it is just dogging it. It's a real effort to just scrub the timeline. My machine has a 3.6 GHZ Pentium multi-thread processor with 4GB of RAM (boot configured to allow apps access to 3GB, which AE does indeed see). My footage is on my media drive which is a 10K RPM SATA drive that is defreagged regularly. I also have OpenGL enabled. The vid card is an ATI x850.

Can anyone suggest how to improve the performance here?

Also, the clips that I have luma-keyed into my shot, when I take it into AE, the luma key is removed - Any way to overcome that? I suppose I could output uncompressed from PP2 but AE is supposed to understand a PP2 project.
Get CineForm Aspect HD, and use their intermediate codec. See the CineForm Forum on this site.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Mike

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; April 23rd, 2007 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added link
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Major Player

The only solution is a $400 piece of software?
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
The only solution is a $400 piece of software?
HDV is highly compressed and almost any computer is going to struggle to play it from the timeline. You might want to shoot HDV and capture SD from it. You can then edit it down then import the HDV to match the time codes. Then render it out.

At least that is one way. But, CineForm is a great program.

May I ask how you intend to export your HDV?

Mike
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:43 PM   #5
Major Player

The SD import option is actually a route I was considering.

The output will be to a standard def, dual layer DVD that is encoded as HD-DVD via DVD Studio Pro.

It's interesting that PP plays the HDV back in realtime with nary a hiccup. Any suggestions on the luma key issue?
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
The SD import option is actually a route I was considering.

The output will be to a standard def, dual layer DVD that is encoded as HD-DVD via DVD Studio Pro.

It's interesting that PP plays the HDV back in realtime with nary a hiccup. Any suggestions on the luma key issue?
Shaughan,

Can't help much with the Luma key, but hope that you get it worked out.

The hard part about HD is that if it is compressed as in HDV it takes a lot of memory and processor power to play and not as much hard drive space. If it is uncompressed it takes much more hard drive space, but not so much processor to play because it does not need to be uncompressed!

Pardon my language but it a Bitc* either way! The computers are getting better, if you can afford to keep up at such a fast pace, but it will be a year maybe two before things are sorted out. By then there will probably be less HDV and more HD. That's life!

Hang in there, as I will!

Mike
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well, AE doesn't handle the .m2t stream very well, and that is why it bogs down in the time line.

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Take a look at Bitjazz Sheer Codec

If it's not too late, I'd like to suggest Bitjazz's Sheer codec. It's a lossless codec and the price is right. They had a Nab 2007 special not too long ago, if you ask you might be surprised is they sell it to you for half off the retail price.

Good luck!

Juan
Juan Oropeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #9
Major Player

Well someone suggested that I output the frames that need adjustment in AE from the NLE as QT Animation at highest quality, which will produce an uncompressed output. Take that into AE, make my changes, render back to the same format and drop that back into the NLE.

Gonna try that tonight :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects