plugging XLR into non XLR camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #1
Tourist

plugging XLR into non XLR camera

How can I plug an XLR microphone into my canon GL2 camera? Will I need to purchase an adapter such as the Beachtek ones? Or can I just use an one of those inexpensive XLR To 1/4" Microphone Cable Adapter? Or could I use a mixer to do this? Thanks.
Carly Scagnetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Use one of the Beachtek adaptors if you can swing it. It will give you more versatility and individual channel volume control. Also, if you get the right model you'll be able to see your levels as you record.

Just my two cents... (and I have used the 1/4 inch to XLR adaptors on an old sony of mine and regretted not getting the Beachtek even though I shoot with an XL2 now.)

Kevin
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #3
Major Player

XLR adapters to (usually 1/4") reduce impedance by a fixed amount via a small transformer built into the adapter. It comes close, but probably won't match the GL2's mic impedance. So you play with attenuation within the camera's menu.

These adapters will work, but the audio is always a bit off.

A Beachtek, or SignVideo (cheaper and likely better) admirably resolves issues. Much more flexible.

Bottom line is what ever works. I use anything and everything.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You can get an adapter cable from Trew Audio (among others) with an XLR female and a mini TRS male. It's wired specially to feed the mic to both channels. Trew also has one with two XLR females should you want two mics.

These adapter cables are built with blocking capacitors to keep the camera voltage out of your mic.

A beachtek is not needed (don't like 'em myself).

Have you considered a mixer?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #5
Tourist

using a mixer

Could I use a mixer instead of getting an adapter such as a beachtek or signvideo? Or since I am only planning on using one mic should I just get an xlr adapter from signvideo or studio 1? If I can use a mixer instead of an adapter what are some inepensive mixers? I have read somewhere that the 1/4 inch to XLR adaptors only work if you have less than 20' of cable and I was planning I getting atleast 25'. Is that correct? Would there be any advantage to using a mixer instead of beachtek or similar adapter? I want to get whatever wil give me the best sound for the least amount of money. Sorry for all the questions but I do not know very much about audio stuff.
Carly Scagnetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #6
Trustee

Ty, do you have a link for that specific cable?
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Carly, Cole:

Here is an example of the kind of thing that Ty is talking about. I use one of these myself sometimes, and it does a pretty adequate job. For $10 a pop, you can't really go wrong. Just make sure you have a mic that can run on battery power, because phantom power is out of the equation unless you buy some kind of phantom powering device.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Male_to.html

These are made in all kinds of lengths (though with these, get the shortest possible length) and connector configurations. Just search for "xlr mini cable" or similar at B&H.
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald View Post
Ty, do you have a link for that specific cable?
Yes.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/home.php?cat=21

These cables are for one mono mic or two mono mics that DON'T want to see the low voltage some cameras put out for some electrets. There's a blocking capacitor (or two) inside teh XLR shell to stop the camera voltage.

The single cable sends audio to BOTH channels.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #9
Trustee

I'm assuming the voltage coming back is phantom power. On the XL1s, isn't that the second plug? So the $10 one should work in a pinch if the microphone isn't phantom powered, right? I've had so many problems getting audio into my camera.

I had an ATR55 (which I've since replaced with a MA100/Sony ECM672 combo) that I tried just plugging into the XL1s mic input...there was no gain whatsoever, so I had to crank it up to the point that the electronics were creating their own noise louder than the mic.

Are there gain mismatch problems jacking into an XL1s with these adaptors too - either shotgun or dynamic?
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald View Post
I'm assuming the voltage coming back is phantom power. On the XL1s, isn't that the second plug? So the $10 one should work in a pinch if the microphone isn't phantom powered, right? I've had so many problems getting audio into my camera.
No, that connector is low voltage "mic power", usually about 5 volts and a totally different thing from phantom power.
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Persactly Mr. Steve.

Ty
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #12
Major Player

Note that in the case of the XL1, you don't have to worry about whether your adapter has the blocking capacitor, because its jack does not output the low-voltage "mic power;" it has a separate DC jack below the main audio jack that carries this voltage. This is true also of the XL2 and the GL series cameras. In these cases, the DC is separate, so a blocking capacitor is not needed. Since both Carly and Cole are using these Canon cameras, the cheaper Hosa cable should do the job.

If, however, your camera only has a single 3.5mm mic jack, chances are very good that you'll want to block the "plug-in" power from getting to your XLR-connected mic like Ty says.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #13
Inner Circle

unless your an amateur, i'd bite the bullet and get a Beachtek, or SignVideo. I know when I first got into video I didn't want to spend the money on one either.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofran View Post
bite the bullet and get a Beachtek, or SignVideo.
This isn't really necessary for all of the reasons explained above. Even in cases where blocking "plug-in power" is necessary, the cable that Ty has linked to will do exactly what the Beachtek-type boxes do for a fraction of the cost. The only benefit of the Beachteks over these kinds of simple cables is that you might get an extra mic input--but if you need extra inputs, I think your money is better spent on an actual mixer instead of the Beachtek.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley View Post
This isn't really necessary for all of the reasons explained above.
I didn't read through the entire thread but I saw she said she has a mixer. I still stand by what I said. Those 1/8 camera inputs are fragile and the cord can easily pull out. If you have to send your camera in for a repair or have the audio cut out in the middle of taping something you wont be too happy with the money you saved by going with an adapter. While this one situation might work its usually better to think ahead. If you ever go hand held how are you going to carry around a mixer with you? Its difficult to predict what you'll need in the future, thats why most get equipment that affords the most flexibility.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio