Yet another trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 31st, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Still Motion

Yet another trailer

Okay so everybody here seems to be putting up trailers and I just couldn't resist sharing this one. Great couple to work with, gorgeous locations, and we had a steadicam, super 8 cam, brevis 35mm adapter and three videographers to top it all off.

http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=94

Comments are always appreciated.

Patrick
www.still-motion.ca
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow! Made my proud to be Canadian!

I didn't like the music though. I think I wedding should have a brighter, more uplifting soundtrack. I would also like to hear something different, rather than something recycled. There are some pretty good tracks out there for very little money.

Good job.
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Patrick, that focus rack from 8mm to the bride was rather ironic as I'm guessing that's an adapter shot :-) It's pretty easy to see why your services are in such high demand there. Is there a name for a travelling, low angle, steadicam (up the aisle) dutch shot?
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Looked good Patrick! I can tell you're loving your stedicam! My only suggestion... slow down! You'll find that you'll get better shots if you move more slowly with the stedicam.

Looks good man.
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:38 PM   #5
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Talbot View Post
Wow! Made my proud to be Canadian!
I didn't like the music though. I think I wedding should have a brighter, more uplifting soundtrack. I would also like to hear something different, rather than something recycled. There are some pretty good tracks out there for very little money.
Good job.
Thanks Curt.

I agree the music may not be the best choice but I'm a little backlogged so I only had 30 min to put this together, so I had to be quick to pick the footage, pick the soundtrack then do the color work and what not. While it isn't my fav, I do think it works.

Patrick
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:41 PM   #6
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood View Post
Patrick, that focus rack from 8mm to the bride was rather ironic as I'm guessing that's an adapter shot :-) It's pretty easy to see why your services are in such high demand there. Is there a name for a travelling, low angle, steadicam (up the aisle) dutch shot?
Dennis,

I had a couple adapter shots in there. The one was from the super 8 cam like you suggested, and the other was the tight shot of the rings with the light going across them. Interestingly, those seem to be the uninanimous favorite shots from our crew. With three guys I was able to have Tony using the brevis all morning so there is some wild stuff there and quite a bit as well.

As for the steadicam shot, not sure if it has a name, but I have been working quite a bit on perfecting that shot as I really like the feel of the different angle while sweeping across the couple.

Patrick
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:44 PM   #7
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Aubert View Post
Looked good Patrick! I can tell you're loving your stedicam! My only suggestion... slow down! You'll find that you'll get better shots if you move more slowly with the stedicam.
Looks good man.
Thanks for the comments Darrell, and yes, I am absolutely loving the steadicam. While some of the longer tracking shots can be tough, the small reveals, pans and other artistic filler is really so easy with such a nice setup and a proper balance. It really does half the work itself, the rest is just seeing the shot.

I'm curious what you mean by 'better shots' by slowing down. I mention that because I have always heard from experienced steadicam ops that slower is actually much tougher to shoot, and from what I have found, going faster seems to be quite smooth. Do you mean, the actual look of the footage is better when moving slower or do you find your shots smoother when going slow?

Patrick
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
I'm curious what you mean by 'better shots' by slowing down. I mention that because I have always heard from experienced steadicam ops that slower is actually much tougher to shoot, and from what I have found, going faster seems to be quite smooth. Do you mean, the actual look of the footage is better when moving slower or do you find your shots smoother when going slow?
Slower shots are a lot harder to get but the actual footage is a lot better looking IMO. Panning around a couple during their first dance at a slow speed produces a lot better video that an really fast circle for example. Try it out next tim you're on a shoot.
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:05 PM   #9
Still Motion

Ah, I see what you mean. To add to the challenge, zooming in two thirds of the way plus walking around them slowly, preventing any bounce and keeping your framing- its a tought thing to do but gorgeous when it works. There is a shot near the end of the trailer where I cut across the dance floor while keeping the cam on them and half zoomed in. For that type of dance, I think the speed worked, but for a slow dance, I think the slower shot would really be killer.
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:00 AM   #10
Inner Circle

ahh... lovely..
loved it..

Pat email me when u get a chance and i'll send u some info on tweaking the camera to suit the pace for any particular shot

Seems people are focusing on the shots, and not the camera settings which are as important as the shot itself. In turn, when u get into post, those settings should make light work of your ideas

This is particularly important for "steady" type shots or slowmotion.
Also with steadicams, there are many more types of shots possible than just the standard reveals and chasess.. consider a steadicam being a dolly on a track... consider what is possible with a dolly...

Pat your work shines, but it seems many viewers arent seeing the possibilitis of these units.
I dont use a steadicam because the market here doesnt call for it, but drop me a line and we can chat

cheers
P
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:25 AM   #11
Major Player

yep, seriously amazing as usual Patrick! i feel like taking my trailer off a previous thread now :)

i'm a big fan of dramatic, moody music BUT i can see why alot of people wouldn't go with it for a wedding, i guess the client has seen your previous demos and if they like it, do it again!

good glide-work...i did my first glidecam-heavy wedding yesterday, but no great shots like that...oh well, i'll keep trying!

also, loved the light falling on the rings shot, very nice.
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:20 AM   #12
Still Motion

Thanks for the comments Richard.

We seem to get clients who absolutely love the slow dramatic feel (lots of Thomas Newman) or they prefer something slightly faster, but it is probably a 4:1 ratio in favor of the dramatic. I think the steadicam lends itelf well to that slow moving style, but at the same time, it also works well for the faster clips too. These slow ones seem easier for me to find and put together for some reason, it is more of a natural edit for me- whatever that means.

I've got a couple same-day edits coming up where I get to use some faster music, so it will be a challenege to see what we can do with that.

Patrick
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:37 AM   #13
Trustee

wow that is one heck of a video! Well done. Patrick, was your steadycam handheld? It should be but I was figuring out how u did the dutch angle along the church aisle.. Did u balance the camera with a tilt or ...??
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:47 AM   #14
Still Motion

Hi Sean,

Most moving shots were done with a steadicam flyer, which has a large sled plus an arm and vest.

For some shots where I move with a tilt or go in low mode, I will quickly rebalance and the steadicam is awesome because of the precise adjustments that you can do quicky. However, everything in this clip was done with a normal balance as the bridal entrance and first dance didn't leave me time to adjust. The tilt as she is coming down the aisle was more because the photographer was beside me and wouldn't stop following the bride, so I had to quickly find a way to cut her out. I'm happy with how smooth it came out given that the balance was off and it was atilted shot though.

Patrick
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Patrick,
As always bravo!!! The sweeping shot of the feet on the dance floor? How did you do this? Do you have a low mode for the flyer. Also how many cameras did you shoot with and how many were manned or womanned not to offend anyone ;)

Jason
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques