romantic movie-feel opening in a city?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 16th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #1
Major Player

romantic movie-feel opening in a city??

After seeing the first video on this Phil Bloom thread, I have a question about a project I'm working on: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=98541

I'm actually working on an opening similar in feel to Phils, where it looks like the beginning of a movie with the credits appearing over different establishing shots. Actually, I gave up because of time constraints, but I want to revive it again after being inspired by Phil Bloom's video. But my problem is this getting ready/ceremony location is a hotel in the middle of downtown Cincinnati, not a beautiful sprawling expanse of nature with wind blowing through some flowers and grasses.

I went back downtown a few weeks ago to shoot some more opening shots to get the movie-opening feel I want, but I'm having a hard time. It just feels too edgy urban, and not romantic. Any suggestions on some shots I can get in middle of downtown Cinci and still feel somewhat romantic?

What I shot that I liked is a nice shot of a couple walking down the street holding hands, both wide and tight on the hands. Got a couple tight shots of the revolving doors on the hotel revolving, and the elevator door closing with the button to her floor selected. Nothing else I got I liked much. I want more outdoor establishing shots, but it's just too 'city'. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Trustee

is there any beautiful architecture? will the summer even the drab looks pretty. Timelapse of clouds in the sky...sun set? can you get up high and do big wide of the city?

After all this is a city wedding, make the most of THAT fact. Let the city be the main character in the opening, am pretty sure you can make it look romantic if you let the shots breathe, keep movement to an absolute minimum. Thing of each shot as a still frame.

Avoid slo-mo as it's an overused device to achieve something romantic!

Oh, is there a nice park near by?
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Watch the opening credits to WKRP in CINCINATTI.

Look for "Art" in the city, sculptures, fountains, clock-towers. Shoot at "Golden Hour" just after dawn and before sunset.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Once I filmed a series of sunrise shots at a very romantic hilltop location in Austin where the couple had gotten engaged for my opening segment. Very movie-like, very effective. At the end, I faded to black and played a short clip I recorded off the radio of the DJ giving the weather report for that day. The couple was blown away.
Jon Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Major Player

All awesome ideas! Thanks for your input. There is a oark just across the river view a spectacular view of downtown, and I didn't even think of it. I think a time-lapse shot of the sunrise over downtown from that park would be a spectacular opening.

And yes, there are some "art" sculpture shots that just say "Cincinnati". It's a fountain... not sure if it's working again after some construction, but I can check.

I can feel the wheels turning in my head now. Thanks for the kick-start everyone! Now I just need nice weather to go get these ideas on tape.

Later,
Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques