Cropping to widescreen format - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 15th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #16
Regular Crew

But does that mean it would stretch the whole 4:3 image, including the black bars at top and bottom, to fill the screen - this would result in a horizontally stretched image - as it is taking 4:3 and stretching it to fill the screen rather than taking just the widescreen picture and using that to fill the screen.
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #17
Wrangler

Justin, on my Sony SDM-V72W 17" HD LCD there are 4 different display modes: normal, letterbox, wide zoom and zoom. When I look at a letterboxed clip and put the monitor in "zoom" mode it nearly fills the screen. There's a narrow black band at the top and bottom. Maybe my letterbox mask on the clip I'm viewing is the wrong size? But it could also be that the LCD screen's physical dimensions aren't really 16:9 (it measures 14.7" x 8.8", or a 1.67:1 aspect ratio, a bit of a disappointment).

If I use "wide zoom" instead it looks like 2.35:1 letterboxed. This is because it stretches a 4:3 image to the full width of the screen without changing the height. The "zoom" mode stretches the image in both dimensions, and I assume it exists just for the purpose of filling the screen with letterboxed video. It should be noted however that images viewed this way look noticeably softer than real 16:9 DV footage.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Boyd - would you mind telling me the process you went thru for your res test? I shot it, captured the images in premiere as uncompressed bitmaps, then went into photoshop and exported them for the web. The 4:3 footage isn't what I'm worried about however, how can I get the 16:9 images into photoshop whilst maintaining it's aspect ratio? As of now it does the stretch to fill the whole 720x480 frame.

My workaround: I used premiere and imported the 16:9 res images into a 4:3 project. I then told premiere that their aspect was 1.2 (NTSC DV widescreen), then told the clip to maintain its aspect (thus generating black bars in premiere) and then exported as an uncompressed targa and did my magic in PS. I'm just not sure if this process is degrading the image or not. I'd like to hear about your process before spending too much time making a page for my own tests when I did them wrong in the first place! Thanks Boyd!
Old August 15th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #19
Wrangler

Well I use Final Cut Pro, not Premiere. But I think it would go the same way... if you import a 16:9 image into FCP at 720x480 you just need to resize it to 954x480 to have the correct aspect ratio on a computer screen with square pixels. This is assuming anamorphic 16:9.

If you are shooting letterboxed 16:9 then first use Photoshop to crop the image to the letterbox, which should be about 720x360. Then resize to 854x480.

Does this answer your question?
Old August 15th, 2003, 08:03 PM   #20
Regular Crew

...sorta lol. My images are 720x480 with 1.2 aspect (16x9). Therefore they stretch in premiere to fill the frame in a .9 aspect (4:3) project until I tell the shots to remain in their original aspect, resulting in a 720x360 image with black bars on top and bottom. Getting the camera 16:9 images to show up in a 4:3 project without being stretched isn't the problem. I'm worried that when I export from premiere that the images are being degraded. I zoom in on the shots in PS and export from there.
Old August 15th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #21
Wrangler

Sorry, I guess I don't understand. In Final Cut Pro it doesn't matter whether you set your sequence for 16:9 or 4:3. Either way, if you export a still frame as a JPEG it will be 720x480. If the original was an anamorphic 16:9 image you would need to stretch it using Photoshop to create an 854x480 image with square pixels.

Sounds like your question about image degradation is Premiere-specific and you might want to ask in the PC group?
Old August 20th, 2003, 06:15 AM   #22
RED Code Chef

If you want a widescreen TV to automatically display the signal
in widescreen you must do the following:

1. crop the footage to widescreen 16:9

2. resample it back to full resolution of 720x480 or 720x576

3. when encoding the mpeg2 and authoring the DVD make sure you indicate the footage is in anamorphic format

That should take care of it. Also, make sure if you use my masks
or make your own with my calculator that you import the footage
AT THE CORRECT PIXEL ASPECT! Mostly NLE's default to a PA of
1.0 for a picture which is WRONG in this case.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite