Is it Ok to keep the Minidv cassette in the camcorder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 23rd, 2003, 11:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Is it Ok to keep the Minidv cassette in the camcorder?

Hi,
Can we just keep the mini dv cassete in the camcorder after removing the battery?

Whether it affect the heads, I mean the cassette tape is in constant touch with the head ?

Or when the power is off, the tape head goes away from the tape. I have panasonic gs 100, your suggestion is welcome.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2003, 11:59 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I don't see in any harm with leaving a tape in for a couple of days or so. For long term, remove it and place it in the tape case. As for the battery, they can drain, or worse, leak. That's why you should always remove the battery after cam use.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Frank
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 09:02 PM   #4
Trustee

I've been told that it's a no no. I was also told I'd go blind if I didn't stop. I can still see.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #5
Warden

If you search, you'll find several discussions on this topic. My feeling is, it not worth the risk. I've seen tapes with slack in them get eaten by the camera, and worse yet, break video heads. Does it happen every time? No. But for me, it's not worth the risk. So, it boils down to how comfortable you are with those risks. Some people find the risks tolerable, some don't.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 11:05 AM   #6
Wrangler

Depending on the camera, the tape extraction arms (the ones that wrap the tape around the head) may be held in their extended postion and the tape kept in a wrapped condition.

It is not good to keep a spring extended for long periods as the tension will change.

Keeping the tape in contact with a head could be a real problem especially if the camera is subject to any humidity.

My buddy who is a QA lab tech at Sony in San Jose claims that leaving tapes in a transport is a bad idea.
Old August 25th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #7
Wrangler

Not a good idea.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #8
Wrangler

I say not a good idea.

I have done it on a number of occasions. Where I have left a tape in my XL1 for a few days, I then try and eject, but it won't let me. I then start to panic and after the 3rd try it finally lets me have it, but 15cm of the tape is hanging out of the case, part of the tape is now screwed - Thank god it has not happened on important tapes.

DO NOT LEAVE TAPES IN YOUR CAMERA!!!

All the best,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion