GL2 Bag/Case at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 8th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #1
Tourist

GL2 Bag/Case

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find this topic recently.

What do you all use to carry and protect your GL2? I'm looking for compact, but preferably something that will hold the camera with the light shield and a BP-30 battery attached . Thanks ahead of time for your input.
Tom Yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Tom,
Yes, this is a frequent topic here. Here are some of the most popular brands of such soft bags:
  • LowePro ($)
  • Kata ($$)
  • Porta Brace ($$$)
Search for any of these names and you'll have a great many opinions to review.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

i went with the kata bag ($90) its a great bag.. i wouldn't trade it for anything.. its been on numerous flights already, and thats the bag i used in mexico for a week, and the camera was a ok..

hope that was some help..

-ryan
Ryan McCrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #4
New Boot

Tom,

I got a Pelican Case with foam insert...

I got the 1500 Series. What I did was cut out foam inserts to fit the camera - it's very snug and padded. And the case is supposedly indestructable and air tight.

So far so good.

It was $130 and I got it at Cal's Camera's in Newport Beach, CA.
Here's the website for Pelican.

http://www.pelican.com/

Hope this helps.
Old September 8th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #5
Old Boot

Kata - One of the best buys I've made. It passed the London Underground Tube door crush - I got caught inbetween the doors, well the KATA did. XM2? Safe as houses!

Quick zip to open and the whole top flaps back! - I've got space for:

2 x BP945 batteries + Original slim battery

5 x minDV tapes

3 watt lamp

Senni K6 and its MKE66

MA300

WD58H - this includes the hood

PaotaBrace Cover - goes into the side zip pocket.

3 x XLR connectors

Headphones

Mulit-purpose Swiss army type gizmo

Spare Eyeglasses

Battery Tester

Charger and wires

Spare filter

Head CLeaner Tape

Asprin!

. . . .and . . when needed the Senni wireless mic kit

side pocket takes documents for event/s

. . .oh yes . . kitchen sink!!!

Balance of this bag when on the shoulder is perfect and I don't feel a thing . . .

OH YES!!! - The XM2 - Ah HAH!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #6
Major Player

I also went with the Kata, CCC-102 in particular. The 102 is a couple inches longer than the 101 and feels tailor made for the GL2.
I can vouch for the long list of items that can fit into the bag and still remain organized. I carry the camcorder, 6 tapes, a few batteries, all my cables, headphones (and not those dinky little ones either), battery charger, remote, screwdrivers, shotgun mic, even some weights that I use to hold down my tripod. The suprising this is that after all of those items, I still have plenty of room for more. And the best thing is, its not at all cluttered... very presentable.
As far as the durability of the case, it will take a beating. The outside material feels like thick canvas, sort of like port-a-brace. Both sides are reinforced with a hard plastic wall between the outside and inside so the camera doesn't get banged up. And, of course, there is padding all over the place. One other thing I've found handy is the camcorder strap. It holds the camcorder in place so its not shaking all around in the bag, which helps balance nicely.
You might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5752&highlight=ccc101

The last reply on the first page has some good pictures that will put this bag into perspective. This bag looks pretty cluttered, but its also the 101, so the 102 end up being a bit more organized.

its a good bag.
nicholi
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #7
Old Boot

Nicholi - CCC-102 here too. I looked at the 101 and read the posts about it being a bit short - fitted the XM1/GL1 - but with the XM2 it's puuuurfeckt for me. Less IS More, BUT More is about right for my needs. It also makes me more "organised", not a bad thing for me - Hah Ha!

And yes, you are correct, about it being presentable and its ability to "unclutter" my stuff.

I did find the internal Cammie restraining strap a bit fiddly. Solution: I now use the removable lens "shroud" off my PortaBrace overcoat - it's too Velrcoed - for the XM2, storing it inside the cammie chamber, which inturn keeps the "shorter" retaining strap and clip vertically in place - now its just a Snap and Go feature. AND I won't mislay the shroud either - Kooooll!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 02:59 AM   #8
New Boot

Hi!

Another UK entrant - just thought I'd put in a good word for this Hama rucksack-style bag from 7dayshop.com - http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1_106_10604&products_id=6021

I just bought one and it fits the XM2 with a big battery on and the hood just right (internal height is 33cm). Not the best looking bag in the world, however the finish is pretty good in black and it's robust enough, it's light, you get lots of velcro bits/extra space at the sides to play with. IMHO at £23 it's an absolute steal!

Phil
Phil Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 06:18 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Bag

I use Lowepro Vidcam 6 for my Canon XM2.
Lots of space for extra gear.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders