Zoom messed up? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 9th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Zoom messed up?

Hey board..gotta question. I've had my gl2 since june and have had no problems with it until a few weeks ago. For some reason every now and then when I zoom in using the zoom grip, not the handle, it will either keep zooming and zooming when i let go of it.. or it will zoom in super slow. I've got it set on variable and the handle zoom is on fast, not that it matters but yeah. Is there a setting that I may have hit to make this zoom by itself? I've got a 4 year warranty so I can send it in if I need to. Please respond if you have any answer to solving my problem.
David Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:09 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Sounds like a service call. I'd send it to Jamesburg if I were you -- it's still under factory warranty.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:12 AM   #3
Old Boot

Creeping Zoom

Ho! I had this too a couple of weeks ago - I thought I was seeing things - honest! - And yes, a "creeping" zoom - but when you want it, it would be good. I don't think - I'm almost certain we don't have one though.

I have no idea how all this stuff works ie the eletro-mechanical part but maybe there was a temporary "sticking-point" that went away - it has with me!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yea I'm not gonna worry about it for now. But if I happen to get a few more problems with the camera I'll send it in for sure. I don't understand why you have to pay so much for something that is going to fail on you for sure over time. These people need to start making better products!
David Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #5
Major Player

That thing happened to me last friday while shooting a live concerts... (luckily we had multi camera)..
The only way for me to make it work and not ruin the shots.. was to press zoom in once and when the zoom reached the point I needed I pressed zoom back just a little and It stopped....

I donīt know whatīs up with this... later that night it started to work right again... althoug between bands... I did change the zoom speeds a few times in the menu to try and solve the problem... So maybe that fixed it...

Havenīt had the problem again.. and we shot a few hours more of some fireworks the day after the concert and a small fiction movie yesterday...

Maybe it doesnīt like a lot zooming in and out continuosly??? I did that a lot on the concert...
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:26 PM   #6
Old Boot

Twilight Zone - Do de do do de do de do . . .

This is truly spooky!
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:47 PM   #7
Major Player

I just think that The XM/GL- are just independent cameras with strong personality that have a little trouble with authority...
... that makes them Adolescent Cameras.
Old October 18th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #8
Major Player

This has started to happen on my three year old XM/GL1. The zoom rocker on the cassette compartment seems to react to the slightest touch at the T end - the W end is far less sensitive. It occasionaslly seems to turn itself on, and also sometimes continues to zoom very slowly when I release the zoom rocker.

Could the internal battery be failing? I assume this does rather more than just maintain settings like time and date.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #9
Major Player

A little experimentation shows that this problem, in my camera at least, is due to the Zoom control rocker switch on the cassette compartment door. If this is pushed sideways, towards the main body of the camera, the spontaneous zooming, and continued zooming after the control is released, stop.

I have effected a "cure" by glueing the tail of a cable tie to the outside of the rocker to press it inwards. I have had no more zoom problems since. I hope this holds together, as I am about to take off on the ten week trip to New Zealand.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #10
Tourist

Zoom Messssss..... Up !

Wow... Looks like Gl2 got another problem, That was happened to me last weekend when covered for Big wedding about 500 people at the church and my babies stop to zooming or if the zoom working they still going until you press backward to stop it.
Its Purchase last December. Shoud i send this babies to Canon for repair...???

Bobby Malingkas
Avio ST & GL2
Bobby Malingkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #11
Tourist

GL2 Zoom Repair Bulletin

My GL2 is a few months out if warranty and has probably had much more use than average - lots of zooming for sports videos, etc. My camera has had all of the zoom problems discussed in this thread, and ultimately the main zoom button quit completely. The cause was cracking of the ribbon wire below the zoom key on the cassette door. Apparantly Canon (at least in Canada) has a repair bulletin (no. AD-1378F) in place which upgrades to a stronger cassette door and new zoom button - there was no charge to me.
Steve Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 11:03 PM   #12
Old Boot

Steve - Please AD-1378F?

Steve - where is this repair bulletin? On a Website? - I'm very interested . . .

Grazie
Old November 8th, 2003, 02:57 AM   #13
Tourist

Finaly send my babies to canon service center and wait for another 15 days, I let you know when my babies arrive.
Bobby Malingkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2003, 06:20 AM   #14
Warden

Service bulletins are internal company memos, directed to the service departments. Generally the exact nature of service bulletins are not released to the public. They advise service managers on specific conditions encountered in the products life cycle. In a few cases they will advise on treating certain defects and how they pertain to a cameras warranty status.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #15
Tourist

OK...Finaly my babies arive from Canon service center, it took only 5 days.They repaired my zoom rocker and now performed good, But another problem is, They (Canon service center) didn't make tight with cassette compartment, so every time i react with zoom control T or W possition it brings up the sound ..clik..clik..which is noticeable even from 5 feet away. To avoid the sound i put the scotchtape between cassette compartment and body the camera.
OR....Should i returned again to Canon ...???? Oh...My GL2...
Bobby Malingkas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders