Yet Another Tape Brand Thread...Should I Go from Panny->Sony? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 29th, 2003, 09:52 PM   #1
New Boot

Yet Another Tape Brand Thread...Should I Go from Panny->Sony?

Hello DvInfo, Let me preface this by saying that I have read a bunch of posts on this same topic; none of them addressed exactly what I need however.

As you can read from this http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=16232 I have been having problems with my VX2000 and transport cleanliness. I have used Panasonic tapes for the entire life of my camcorder. I currently use 63PQ's. Recently my transport has apparently become so dirty that tapes can neither be read nor recorded to. I am seeking a professional cleaning tomorrow, but my question is this; after I get a shiny new transport, should I continue with Panny tapes or switch to Sony tapes and Mike so often recommends with Sony camcorders. There are pro's and cons to each option.

If I move to Sony tapes, that pretty much rules out being able to play any of my 30+ panny tapes without using a head cleaning tape. However I would like to avoid those as they introduce unnecessary wear on the transport. The advantage to moving to Sony tapes would be that since everyone in my school uses Sony, I wouldn't have any problems using the publicly accessible lab DV Decks. If I stay with the Panasonic PQ's, I will remain compatible with my older tapes, but remain incompatible with the rest of schools equipment. Decisions....

[Edit] Ok, this may have something to do with my problems and if it does, I'm sorry for having wasted the forum member’s time. The following are the tape types that I have ever used with my camera.

Sony DVM-60R or PR2 - I'm sure at least 1 of these was in my camera way before I knew about the mixing issue.
Panasonic DVM60 - 7-8 Tapes
Maxell DVM60SE - 8 Tapes
Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ - 15 Tapes

Obviously now I realize that mixing Panasonic tapes and that Sony was a bad move. (It was right after I got the camera, honest!) However I'm still not clear on whether or not mixing between classes of Panasonic tapes is OK. I also made the assumption that the Panasonic DVM60's and Maxell's that I've used were basically the same tape.

Wow. I feel like a dunce. Especially if even mixing regular Panasonic DVM60's and PQ's is just as bad as mixing different brands.

Alright, Thanks again for any help you can offer. I hope soon enough I'll be able to put back into this place what I've already gotten out of it.

-Jake
Jacob Mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Jacob,
I have been using Panasnic PQ's both 63 and 83 in both of my 150's AND my old friendly VX1000 and I have not had a single transport or head problem. Well at least not my cameras. BTW, I use a JVC 1 chipper as a deck for my editing stations and haven't had a problem with that either.
I understand what Mike said in his post but there is a reason Sony says to use Sony tapes. IMHO it's called marketing but aside from that, this year alone on 1 camera I have put over 400 tapes thru the 2 cameras with no problems. Thats both 83 and 63 minute tapes.

Now having said all of that it's your choice. Use what you feel comfortable with but remember, once you decide, DO NOT CHANGE unless you use a cleaner tape and clean the heads completely.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 10:40 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Don. It's good to hear opinions from both sides of the fence, the fact that you've been able to run that much tape without problem gives me some hope. I'd still like to know if mixing different Panasonic tapes is bad.

Thanks
-Jake
Jacob Mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #4
Outer Circle

I've put at least 200 hours on one of my cams with only using Fuji miniDV tape, without any problems.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 06:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Jacob,
I'm kinda old school. I don't like mixing tapes period. Even though the tapes might all be Panasonics there are different levels of them just like there are different levels of trim on a car. Bad analogy but the best I can do at this hour ;-0

Personally I would pick one manufacturer and one type and stick woth it, but thats just me.

Don
Old October 30th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #6
Wrangler

Don,

Obviously Sony wants you to buy their tape.

But the real reason I use their tape is that they know what tape formulation is going to run and perform best in their cameras. Since the camcorder & tape comprise a system, you don't get performance from one without the other.

I've been on the same side of the fence as Sony when I worked for Xerox. People were always buying 3rd party paper and having a lot more problems with their copiers and printers than they should have. What they didn't appreciate was that Xerox paper was more expensive for a reason. Fresh paper with a good surface and humidity-controlled just works better. But it has to cost a bit more.

So one can buy on price (although one can buy Sony tapes for under $5 U.S.) or you can, as far as I am concerned, risk more problems with the tape transports than necessary.

As I point out, we have over 8 years of use on a bunch of Sony camcorders that have never had a head clog and are cleaned maybe once a year. That is a fairly good track record. We only allow Sony tapes to be used in the equipment.
Old October 30th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Mike,
I understand what you're saying but in this case we're going to have to agree to disagree. I haven't had any problems running Panasonics in Sony gear and even years ago using the big old Hi8 and VHS and really old Beta stuff I never found that it made a lot of difference as far as the tape stock went as long as I stuck with 1 brand.

Oh well, that's what makes America great, we can disagree and still get along.
Don
Old November 13th, 2003, 05:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I've always loved this question. I use only Sony and guess what? I had one go bad. Go figure. Anything can happen.

The reason I stick with Sony is because I can't find a good reason to switch. So why not? If you have old tapes from a different machine, just run a cleaner afterward. I really don't think it would do any real harm.

Good luck and all my best
Old November 13th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Here's lots of info:

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 01:22 AM   #10
Trustee

I'd stick with the panasonic. Switching will just compound the problems.
This is only my opinion .
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line