Interesting post over at www.camcorderinfo.com! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old November 4th, 2003, 04:43 PM   #1
Trustee

Interesting post over at www.camcorderinfo.com!

This is a post copied from their site. I did NOT write this, so please visit over there if you want see for yourself.

I am copying it because it mentions "Project X" - something used to convert MPEG-TS to MPEG-PS! Links are provided:

I'm getting the content from a JY-HD10 and editing it in FCP using freeware utilities. I haven't tried exporting back to HD yet, but that should be possible. There seems to be a growing subculture of people who are capturing/converting programs from satellite and digital television. Apparently these programs are transmitted as mpeg-2 transport streams (which the JVC HDTV cameras use). Tools which are used for this purpose can also be used to convert JVC's transport streams. The first step is to use DVHScap from apple, available as part of their firewire SDK.

Next you can use project X to convert the files DVHScap creates to a program stream and .wav file which is importable into FCP

http://www.lucike.de/download/projectx/ProjectX_Source_0.81.5.zip

The files look great and are HD resolution, I have been using the files in NTSC projects only for now.

Posted by "pstdenis" over at www.camcorderinfo.com.
Old November 4th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #2
Wrangler

Yes Christopher,

This stuff on project X is interesting.

Here's a direct link to the discussion:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t27719.html
Old November 4th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #3
Trustee

Ok, I could download "Project X" and see everything. However, it looks like a Java program. I'm sure how to use it...anyone a Java guru?

Note: If you look at the parent site it talks about DTV...and it looks German?

Chris
Old November 5th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #4
New Boot

second that...

I myself am curious about the best way to compile the java. There's reference to command-line and the need for a dev kit. Anyone have recommendations on best way to get the app up and running?

Also, does anyone have a transport stream that they could post/offer a link to so this workflow can be tested?

Thanks
Old November 5th, 2003, 11:50 AM   #5
Trustee

I wish I knew Java. How about the guy who posted it over at www.camcorderinfo.com? I bet he knows...I'll email him.

Steve Mullen usually jumps on something new like this, but he hasn't replied to anything. I'm not sure if this is old news or what? I did a search on here for "Project X" and nothing came up worth mentioning that I could see.

Anyone have any ideas?

Chris
Old November 5th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #6
Major Player

To compile the java code, you need to download the J2EE SDK from java.sun.com. Get it properly installed, and set the path to the JAVA SDK Executable accrodingly and type:

javac {filename}
Old November 5th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #7
New Boot

for OS X?

Don't see Mac OS X dev. kits on the Sun site.

Went to Apple's site and through several links found Java SDK 2.2 which I'm downloading now...
Old November 5th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #8
Trustee

Hey, please post if you find out it converts "TS" to "PS"!

Thanks guys!!

Chris
Old November 5th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #9
New Boot

compile under OS 9 and X (classic) fails...

I installed the Java SDK 2.2 (only one I saw offered on the Apple Dev. site) and ran it as instructed to compile all the resources. Gave me 39 errors and only created 2 class files that seem to be audio components. Anyone had luck?
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

The German DTV sounds like that big HD company that has offices in the US, too. Can't remember the name, but they got into HD a few years ago, to help lead the HD revolution. Funny thing is, my TV station did a story on them in West Palm Beach, Florida a couple of years ago. They have offices (you can see their name in big, bright blue letters on the top of a building from miles away) here, but they're very selective. My friend, a news photog, pitched a story, but was rejected. Dang, I wish I could remember the name. I'll drive by tomorrow and post up a response.

Now this is gonna bug me, but I'm pretty sure these are the guys. Probably all over the HD10...

heath
Old November 9th, 2003, 09:20 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The station is WHDT in West Palm Beach, Fl. They've got space in one of the buildings towards downtown. They're on channel 19 on Adelphia and channel 99 on Comcast. They also are in the Boston, MA market (it was still in the planning stages when we shot the interview with them) (I was the photog who shot the story about them).

It's Deutsche Welle. Their website is www.whdt.net. They seem to do a lot of documentaries, as well as news.

JT
Old November 10th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

You're the man as usual, Jeremiah. You can get the HD10 next. And I expect SPECTACULAR images! :-)

heath
Old November 10th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Danke.

JT
Old November 11th, 2003, 10:46 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Project X

A bit of cross forum posting here...

Project X compiled on 10.2.7 but started generating compile errors with
10.2.8, some error about "claims 0 max advance but is fixed-pitch", this seems to be a known bug which is affecting many different Java apps.
Alfred Tsang who I work with got it to compile by:
Downloading the zip file to the Desktop
Double clicking on the file to unzip it using stuffit expander
You should have a folder called ProjectX_Source open that folder and
go into the src folder and edit the folliowng line in X.java (using TextEdit)
Object[] fonts = (Object[])GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getAvailableFontFamilyNames();

change it to:

//Object[] fonts = (Object[])GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getAvailableFontFamilyNames();
String[] fonts = new String[1];
fonts[0] = "SansSerif";

This will affect a portion of the program that allows for conversion of captioning, which I am not using anyway.

Open a Terminal window (located in Applications/Utilities)
type
cd Desktop
cd ProjectX_Source
cd src
javac [-O] *.java
jar cfvm X.jar MANIFEST.MF *.class

if all goes well you will have a file called X.jar in the src folder, double clicking on it will launch the application
There will be a bunch of tabs, click on the files tab and drag the m2t file created form DVHSCap into the window.
Click on the audio tab and Check "decode MPEG Layer to PCM" and "add RIFF(RIFX) header to PCM (.wav)"
click on "main" and the use the "Go!" button.
The application is fast, faster than realtime on a G5. (even faster if you don't convert the audio to wav)
it will produce a mpv file and a .wav file both which FCP understand.
I have needed to match the duration of the two files some times to fix synch issues

I hope this works for all who try it, let me know if anyone tries to convert mpv's back to a transport stream

Thanks go to Arick Chang who discovered Project_X on the web and showed me how to use it.

Oh, and you shouldn't have to download the SDK. javac and jar come with OSX (I have not tried any of this on OS9)

About converting back to transport streams, the hurdle right now seems to be the limitation on MPEG2 encoders for the Mac.
Project X will convert program streams to transport streams, but
Compressor and Quicktime mpeg2 encoders both limit the video resolution to 720x480
Old November 11th, 2003, 11:35 AM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

Can you post this over here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=16812

Thanks,

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U