Excited New Panasonic PV-DV953 Owner w/ DOF Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 13th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Excited New Panasonic PV-DV953 Owner w/ DOF Question

Hey everyone!

I finally got my new Pana DV953 cam from B&H, and so far I'm very pleased with it's performance. I'm a newbie to the videography thing who has been shooting with single CCD cams for the last few years -- boy, what a difference an extra couple of CCD's can make! This is the best cam I've ever had my hands on by far. :)

Quick question concerning DOF. I saw that Tommy Haupfear had posted some really nice macro stills from the camera that appeared to have a very shallow DOF. Links below (hope Tommy don't mind me posting his links):

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2729633.jpg

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2729634.jpg

How do I achieve this shallow DOF w/ the 953? Was the portrait mode used or was this achieved with a combination of manual settings? And finally, can this effect be used with video footage or with photo stills only?

I'm wanting to do some documentary type interviews of some local R/C car racers, and I'd like to achieve the shallow DOF look for this purpose.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian Sumpter

PS -- Did I mention that I'm loving this cam? :D
Brian Sumpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #2
Warden

Here is the DOF thread and the DOF article on the site.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:05 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Brian, congrats on your new cam purchase!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:15 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the links, Jeff! I've been lurking here on DVI for months now, and I somehow missed that article. That kind of info is exactly what I was needing. Now I just need to practice and attempt to master the technique. :)

And thank you very much, Frank! Your numerous posts about this camera played a major role in my decision to purchase it. I've got a tremendous amount to learn, but I'm excited to finally have a "real" camcorder to play with. Sure is a big step up from my ZR60. :D
Brian Sumpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Brian:

Congratualtions on your getting a DV953. As you have already seen, it's a great camera and what a difference the additonal chips make.

Everyone in my business (Television Production) who has seen this camera have been impressed with it's performance. I use it on live sports events that I work on as a additional camera. Just having the english menus to navigate through while your out and about make it a great advantage alone especially when you need to adjust on the fly. While the GS100 is a somewhat improved version of the DV953, I myself think you as a "newie" (as you put it) made the right decision under the circumstances and I believe this camera will suit your needs for years to come.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant