Creating the phone conversation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 21st, 2003, 09:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Creating the phone conversation

hi all,

Let me describe the scene first.

-----------------------------
Close up of phone

Phone rang.

Guy picks up phone

Guy "Hello"

Gal "hi Guy"
----------------------------

I would like to, in the end product to hear the "real" voice of guy BUT hear the "phone" voice of gal.

My question is during the shoot, can i record both the guy and the gal's part at the same time AND manipulate the gal's voice to create that "phone" voice? If so, how do i do it with Premiere 6 or FCP3?

If the above option is not possible, I would have to record the gal's voice in another believable location rather than the same location as the guyt scene, it would saves me a lot of trouble.

Thanks!!
Ong Wan Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 09:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Yeah, just record their voices on location. In the editing suite, apply a graphic equalizer filter to get the "Phone sound". In avid, there's a couple of filters called phone, probably the same in FCP and Premiere
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 06:40 PM   #3
Machinist Mate

In FCP, just use one of the equalizers or band pass filter to boost the mids and attenuate the highs and lows. Experiment with the center frequency, try 2k-2500Hz for a start.
Old November 24th, 2003, 06:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

once you apply the filter, u can also resample it to 14kz, this will give that richer authentic fone flavour :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 07:57 AM   #5
Major Player

I had to get a good phone sound for my last production, and the filtering just wasn't perfect to me... so I ended up having the actors phone in their lines and I pointed the mic at the speaker phone. Nothing sounds more realistic than that. Then I put them together in post to get the final product.

If I were you, and for some reason (performance, time) really wanted them to run the dialog live, I would put the caller on a speaker phone and run it (even if the actor is holding a receiver and talking in to it, you can have the speaker phone nearby). That gives the actors something to play off of, and gives them the realism of actually talking into the phone.... and gives you that nice phone sound.

If I did'nt really really need to record both real time, I would have them record the lines separately and put them together in post... it gives you a lot more control.

Just a thought.

Good luck.
Barry Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Check out the JK Audio THAT 1 or THAT 2 at www.jkaudio.com
Marty Wein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio