My Fim look test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:06 AM   #1
Major Player

My Fim look test

Here is a link to a clip I tried to "filmlook".

http://www.benzenworlds.com

Firstly is it any good? or am i wasting my time.

Is filmlooking even worth it, cause it still looks like video. I guess one argument is it looks another generation less than video and adds the beginings of the magical film look, its debatable of course.
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:32 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Which film-look were you trying to duplicate?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 07:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Generally speaking, it usually isn't worth the time to go for the film lookwith a plugin. Unless you use extremely high production values (good lighting, shallow DOF, proper framing, good sound, etc) the time debt incurred with a film-like effect isn't worth it.

If your cam supports a frame movie mode, use it to get a more film-like motion characteristic. Try to light as best you can. Color-balance your video. Any Film-like plugin is going to take a HUGE amount of time to render, and like you said, it still looks like video.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. All I did was color-balance and de-interlace. It didn't take that long, but it looks pretty good. I'm in the process of running this same video (11 min 18 sec) though Cinelook, and it has been rendering for 17 hours so far, and still has about 10 to go.

http://www.jeffersons.org/bball.wmv

I did this video for my daughters Basketball Banquet.

Just my $.02 worth.

Cheers,
Mark Jefferson
Mark Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:02 AM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : Which film-look were you trying to duplicate? -->>>

I guess any film look. I used the tutorial for After effects from this forum.
Basically im interested to know is it worth my while doing this or does it just look like ordinary video.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

From what I've read (and personal experience) film-look plugins make the video dark and contrasty. The film-like look tut on this site (using AE) is pretty good, but still requires good production values. Without those high production values, it looks like video that has been processed.

Theres a lot of dicussion about how to achieve a film-look. Personally, I think the motion characteristics is what makes the biggest difference. At the very least, deinterlace your video.

Cheers,
Mark Jefferson
Mark Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have seen some very impressive film look footage using a minidv cam, if you havn't seen it check out "no regrets" (shot on the canon gl2, (in frame mode, with added post effects i assume) http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/content/no_regrets

Shows it can be done very well... not quite sure how the director got the effects he did, i would be interested to know the complete process that it took to get that film look...

But it shows there is hope:)
Richard James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 04:25 PM   #7
Major Player

That would be a good clip (No Regret) if it hadn't already been done in a slightly larger production called "Meet Joe Black". Nevertheless, the camera seems to have done it's job well.
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 10:07 PM   #8
Major Player

The answer here is usually use a canon xl1s, with frame mode, but what aboutfor us single ship kids?
Old December 23rd, 2003, 10:23 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Quote:
...canon xl1s, with frame mode, but what aboutfor us single ship kids?
A single CCD cam with progressive scan. You can find one in the used cam market. Both JVC and Canon made them.
Old December 24th, 2003, 04:18 AM   #10
Major Player

Would you be able to tell me those Single Chip progressive models, PAL versions please
Old December 24th, 2003, 05:18 AM   #11
Outer Circle

I don't know the PAL model mumbers, but here is a partial list of a few N.A. NTSC models:

Canon
Elura
Optura
Optura PI

JVC
GR-DVL9000
GR-DVL9500 (GR-DVL9600 for PAL)
GR-DVL9800
GR-DV2000

I own 2 DVL9500s; I would say that overall, the Optura PI might be better in some ways - both good with low light.

There are other Canon and JVC models that also had PS, but I can't recall the models off hand.
Old December 24th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #12
Major Player

Hmm i had a check on Ebay in Australia and UK, both PAL, and i cant find anything. Any Aussies know any single Chip progressive cams?
Old December 24th, 2003, 10:03 AM   #13
RED Problem Solver

Looks pretty good to me, but seeing it on TV is the real test. If you're PAL, then what you need is a good, adaptive (smart) de-interlacer. Use curves to modify the contrast of the image. After that, you're into the land of "making it look nice". If you want to read more about Film looks, I sell a package for Final Cut Pro called Film Effects, and I have a great article on my web site explaining how it all works, which may help you.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Location: Augusta georgia 15min. from Aiken S.Carolina and 2 hours from Atlanta
jvc dv3000u

hey Rob, i left a post somewhere stating i have a brand new 4 and a half hour battery for that exact camera. i had the camera, then i took it back. i ordered the battery from jvc a couple of weeks ago and now i no longer need it. you can e-mail me at mrpatrick357@hotmail if you are interested.
Patrick Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #15
Regular Crew

sorry, I don't have the money for that right now :S
why not try selling it on ebay?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production