1394 playback on hdtv at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old December 27th, 2003, 11:34 PM   #1
New Boot

1394 playback on hdtv

I have the hd1 and decided to buy a new rear projection tv, this time with 1394 in/out to use with the hd1.

I got the Toshiba 57HX93, with 1394 ports as well as the atsc tuner. I couldn't find a monitor with 1394 without the tuner. I am guessing that the mpeg decoder being used by the 1394 inputs are the same as the tuner's.

Anyway, I hooked up the hd1 via 1394, the theaternet/1394 configuration menu pops up on the screen, it recognizes "JVC", but not the device 'type' and nothing seems to work between the two. No commands, no video, no audio.

Anyone have a better experience?

John
Old December 28th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Your 57HX93 might require a valid MPEG stream on its 1394 port when it is turned on.

You might try the following sequence:

1) Turn off the 57HX93.

2) Turn the HD1's on/off switch to 'Play'.

3) Set the HD1's 'Play-Mode switch' to Video.

4) Set the HD1's 'iLink-Out' switch to MPEG2.

5) Press the HD1's Play/Pause button.

6) Turn the 57HX93 on.

If that does not work, then you might be stuck using the HD1's component (Y/Pb/Pr) cable.

Good luck.
Old December 28th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #3
New Boot

I'll give that a try but it kinda defeats the desired usability. I'll probably just return the tv in the morning unless toshiba tech support can solve the problem. If I can't use the 1394 port easily, then I really don't have a need for a tv with an atsc tuner built in.

I guess not all 1394 ports are the same. Perhaps someone can author a cpability grid of various manufacture's 1394 implementations. heck, I thought thats what the 1394 trade associationwas doing but I guess they aren't consumer oriented.

thanks,

john
Old December 31st, 2003, 02:58 PM   #4
Major Player

I'd also try using the UW(?) setting on the camera and not the auto for the firewire out.

Troy
Old December 31st, 2003, 04:33 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I'm a little leary myself about the rear projection HDTVs. Let us know how the image looks!

heath
Old January 2nd, 2004, 10:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Not sure, but wouldn't you have to go through the decoder like on the JVC 30/40K deck. I bet if you went firewire to deck and then went firewire from deck to TV you would be able to play back with an all digital path.
Old January 4th, 2004, 03:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have used the analog component inputs in a calibrated 1080i rear projection screen (Toshiba 65H80) with excellent results. The key is calibration.
Old January 7th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #8
New Boot

Toshiba Customer Support says if it doesn't work out of the box it doesn't work. So my AV dealer is exchanging the Toshiba for me when I decide which unit I want. I have been successful with Sony and Mitsubishi units so I just need to decide. The "NetCommand" on the Mitsubishi seems to have more going for it than the Sony's device control menus.

I still need to drag my JVC D-VHS deck down and plug it into the Toshiba's 1394 ports and see if that gets anywhere, like recording/playback from the ATSC tuner to the D-VHS deck.

I got the impression that the Toshiba has a 'static' library of 1394 devices it knows about and everything else is 'incompatible'.

Randall, I think the ATSC tuner package has the MPEG2 decoder, since it has to decode the mpeg2 stream from over the air.

I have to say that with the Sony and Mitsubishi, WOW! Especially the Sony LCD rear projection. The wife is going to be real happy with her new TV :)

John
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #9
Major Player

Eureka!

I went to my local Sears last night and tested my HD1 on a Mitsubishi HD set with firewire in.

Works like a charm. The Mits recognized the HD1 right away and set it up as a NetCommand device. I had complete control of the HD1 through the Mits remote. Pic was good scaled to 1080i via the Mits. I did see some interlace jaggies on some of the diagonal lines but nothing too bad.

It looked like it had the capability to record to the HD1 but I didn't have an HD source to record from. I'll have to test that function this weekend. That would be nice to use the HD1 as an HD recorder. Although I don't think it would work because of the data rate and resolution difference, I may be able to get an ABC 720p program to record.

The unit won't play back HD in DV mode (downscale).

I have yet to try a true 720p set (DLP/LCD) to see what the image looks like. I'm waiting on the Sony 32" LCD with firewire for a bedroom purchase, I bet that looks magnificent!

Troy
Old January 22nd, 2004, 11:35 AM   #10
Major Player

Additional success...

I also ventured to our local HH Gregg's and played around with a 50" RCA Scenium HDLP50W151 DLP set with native 720p.

Connected the firewire, turned on the HD1 and nothing else had to be done. The RCA had it listed as a 1394 input and allowed the same full control over it as the Mits did.

I actually ran the firewire through their DVR10 HDD HD recorder, so the TV saw it as a sub-channel of the DVR10.

I tried again to record to the HD1 from the built in ATSC HD tuner. Nothing happened and the set actually told me it couldn't authenticate the copy protection measures from the 1394 device. The same happened when I tried to record to and from the DVR10, copy protection issue.

The picture was much better in 720p than 1080i as you would imagine and it looked even better through the all digital path.

I then ventured down to another local home theater store and hooked my HD1 to a Sony 70" KDF-70XBR950 LCD HDTV with 720p native also. Same thing, the Sony recognized the unit off the bat and no other setup was necessary. I actualy connected it to the front firewire input that's stated to be specific to DV, but it worked anyway.

The picture looked good with this three chip LCD but the infamous 'screen-door' effect was very evident.

Looks like the Toshiba line may be having a problem with the firewire.

John,

Did you get another set? Which one?

Troy

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U