Trading Spaces at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:14 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Trading Spaces

Is anybody else as hooked on this TLC show as I am? I really love the un-scripted reality format, and the excersizes in camera work and editing. The secret seems to be "cutting on the joke" and it's most entertaining. I know it's an Americanized version of BBC's "Changing Rooms" which I haven't seen yet. Trading Spaces is pretty hot over here, all of our friends love it, and I've completely fallen for it. Anybody else?

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/tradingspaces/tradingspaces.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 06:20 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I have seen Changing Rooms, and it was so-so. The one I enjoy is on the BBC America called Ground Force. Same concept, just done outside in the yard. Good wit, cool gardens.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 06:50 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks, I'll look for that... although down here in super-sunny Texas, I have a hard time getting motivated to tend my own yard... let alone somebody else's. Despite what you see on King of the Hill, we're not all garden-tractor crazy down here.

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:12 AM   #4
Wrangler

I've seen both. Reality TV seems to be the in thing at the moment, TV channels wanting to scew up peoples gardens, and lounges or blow up peoples kitchens.

When it boils down to it Trading Spaces (We get it on UK Style via sat) I feel is a slightly better version of Changing rooms, it seems to be that little bit more funnier, than the slightly light hearted Changing rooms. There was a documentary about Changing rooms and they said that they have sold the format to well over 100 different countries, just think of the way the other countries do this.

After all the British seem to be good at creating TV Formats:
Changing Rooms
Ground Force
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
The Weakest Link

If only I was the producers of these TV shows I would be raking the cash in!!!

All the best,

Ed Smith
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 03:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Talk about reality shows going to the dogs... (oh my, excuse the pun)...

I read in the Boston Metro this morning something about Animal Planet coming out with a reality show based around dogs experiences in new york city.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2002, 09:34 AM   #6
Wrangler

What is this world coming to!!!

Next there will be a Reality TV channel... Hay now theres an idea!!!
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2002, 10:01 AM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I admit to occasionally watching Trading Spaces. It's an interesting concept and can be fun to watch. But I enjoyed the show much more before the current host (Paige Davis?) joined. Her voice and general demeanor just grate on me. Her predecessor was a ditz but more likeable than this sorority sister.

Like most "reality" shows, though, I think this one is getting old. Each episode looks essentially the same as the previous one. Perhaps that's more of a statement on the people willing to submit themselves to such an ordeal.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 08:47 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

I never saw the previous host, I just recently got into Trading Spaces so Paige as all I know. I think she's fairly bubbly. I can't imagine being on the road all the time like that and staying in a good mood on camera all the time. But of course if I was paid well to be in a good mood, I could pull it off under the most trying circumstances.

As far as these folks submitting to an ordeal to get on TV, I can think of worse things... Jerry Springer, anybody? Besides, occasionally the homeowners are actually happy with the results...

;-)

Old June 30th, 2002, 01:37 AM   #9
Regular Crew

1. Who cares about the host? It's the cute handyladies!

2. I did love one episode where the people really hated the makeover. I only saw one show like that. Anybody see some more bombs? That would probably make me watch it more. The Suspense!

3. The dv cam (the "Alex cam" or the like). I don't know what they've used, but I think a GL1 was used for a while at least.
Old June 30th, 2002, 05:35 AM   #10
Trustee

Don't watch Trading Spaces with the wife around- she'll start looking around the room to see what she can change with a hot glue-gun and some cheap fabric...

..actually awhile back, if you signed onto AOL- there was a link right on the welcome screen talking about how big a sensation TS is....they went from like a 6% viewing audience to a now whopping 74% viewing audience since the show has aired...Paige got married and was off the set for a month or so, but she's back....she's not ultra sexy- but I get the urge to "hug" her when I see her (hahahahah- stop thinking dirty fellas!!!)

If they ever came to NYC with that show- neighbors would shoot each other with those $1000 budget makeovers- ain't happeneing here (at least not in any of the 5 boroughs)..........have fun guys!
Old June 30th, 2002, 09:31 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

The "Paige cam" is indeed a GL1.

Old December 24th, 2002, 10:32 AM   #12
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Smith : I've seen both. Reality TV seems to be the in thing at the moment, TV channels wanting to scew up peoples gardens, and lounges or blow up peoples kitchens.

When it boils down to it Trading Spaces (We get it on UK Style via sat) I feel is a slightly better version of Changing rooms, it seems to be that little bit more funnier, than the slightly light hearted Changing rooms. There was a documentary about Changing rooms and they said that they have sold the format to well over 100 different countries, just think of the way the other countries do this.

After all the British seem to be good at creating TV Formats:
Changing Rooms
Ground Force
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
The Weakest Link

If only I was the producers of these TV shows I would be raking the cash in!!!

All the best,

Ed Smith -->>>

Don't forget Who's Line is it Anyway?

I love that show...Over here we have Drew Cary as the host.
Jim Yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2002, 02:10 PM   #13
Major Player

What I don't understand is the basic concept of letting folks with unknown or questionable design taste come in and trash your house while you are "improving" theirs, while being fully aware that these are neighbors who you may have to live next door to for a considerable time after really pissing them off. Of course, you capture this all on video so you can relive the nightmare with a few of your friends and a couple of million strangers around the world. Would same people really do this?
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2002, 03:54 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I watch changing rooms, since I get BBC America on digital cable. I also like ABFab, Coupling (very adult version of Friends), Manchild and So Graham Norton.
I have to say I prefer Changing rooms, if only for that sexy Scottish lass that hosts the show.

They just started a new reality show called
What not to wear. It's about the fashion police going into womens warddrobes and uh.. correcting the situation.
Men dare not tread in this territory.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark