Centuy versus Red Eye at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 1st, 2004, 02:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Centuy versus Red Eye

Collinscraft in Canada makes wide angle adapters for all sorts of camera's. How does the wide angle adapter Red Eye rate against Century? I have a 6x wide angle from Century and for my taste it is not good enough. I wanted to use it with the canon xl1.
I dont know what you call it in english but the fact that at the edges it makes everything go round is not acceptable for me for normal shooting. The fact that I can not screw on any filters is another annoyance.

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 01:50 PM   #2
Wrangler

David:

That phenomenon (known as barrel distortion) is likely to be present in every wide angle adaptor with that degree (.6x) of magnification. You really need to use a lens that has been designed from the bottom up to incorporate the wider focal range, like the Canon 3x, to avoid this issue. The Century is considered by many (including myself) to be the benchmark for wide angle adaptors from an optical perspective. I haven't seen the Red Eye myself, but I see that it is a non-zoom through adaptor, as opposed to your .6x Century which allows for zooming.
Old January 1st, 2004, 05:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Charles for the info. But what do you mean by 'The Century is considered by many (including myself) to be the benchmark for wide angle adaptors from an optical perspective'. And barrel distortion is never going to be good is it?
6x is not a zoom through, it will zoom several x but not the full focal length. When I bought it I hoped it would be a cheap alternative to the canon XL1 wide angle lens.

director/cameraman

David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 05:53 PM   #4
Wrangler

Sorry, yes, I forgot that it's the .7x that is zoom through and the .6x is partial.

Barrel distortion is a drag, but I know of no aftermarket adaptor that can be added to a lens that is free of it. To achieve truly linear results at wide angles requires a lens built from the ground up to accomodate such a task.

So the question is, which is the most transparent adaptor available optically (resolution, coatings etc.) and creates the LEAST distortion. My research led me to the Century (I own the .7x for my 14x Canon manual lens).
Old January 2nd, 2004, 10:29 AM   #5
Major Player

hmmmm... and I bought two 6x for both of them wish I would have bought the 7x....

director/cameraman

David Slingerland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog