Ice Rink shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 7th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #1
April May

Ice Rink shoot

I am planning on shooting a skating practice at an ice rink using the XL1s.

• Should I use any filters on the camera because of the whiteness of the ice? If so what kind?

• Is there a longer lens than the 16x mechanical servo zoom lens for the camera?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:12 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You might want to experiment with the Sand and Snow program mode. It places more of a center-weighting on the exposure. Depending on your height above the ice and the general brightness of the frame you might want to use your lens' neutral density filter.

No, there's no longer lens for XL1s than a 16x. I believe there are, however, teleconverters available to extend the zoom range. But remember that the longer the zoom the shakier the shoot.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:03 PM   #3
Trustee

I just got back from Colorado videoing skiers. I decided to video like I used to photograph. I went to Manual mode. did a light meter reading off the snow, did a reading of the people and then set the Canon XL-1s to the AVERAGE reading. Great stuff. Also, try adding the 1.6x tele extender to the 16x. It really makes a difference as it kicks it up to the equivallent of 1,008mm in the 35mm world. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

How exactly did you "meter"? Does the Xl1 have a TTL metering system built in??
Chris Staab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Longer lenses are possible with an Canon EF lens, but that will
probably get unwieldy. As for filters you might want to bring
an extra ND. If the camera is stationary a polarizer might help
as well.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #6
New Boot

Just set the camera on M (manual) and play with exposure via shutter speed and or iris (f stop), if you want a fast shutter speed adjust f stop until you see detail in the snow, but don't let it look grey....expose for white with detail. Also, there are lenses well beyond 16X. For example, I have a Nikon 600mm a 1.4x and 2x converter, with the Nikon to Canon adapter (made in the UK), I have 600mmX2xconverter=1200mm X 7.2 (format size from 35mm to ccd sensor size) = 8640mm (35mm equivalent) lense. This is roughly 172X (optical). Granted, this is an extreme example...but, you can create any power lense you want with 35mm prime lenses...or zooms, for that matter.

And for one last thought, try attaching your camera to a hockey stick, clear down on the blade, using the hockey stick as normal, letting it carry the weight of the camera. This works very well and is a very steady platform, you will be amazed at how well it just glides along the ice. And the point of view is outstanding. Hope you give this a try!

Mike
Mike Murri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog