Is there an on-camera mount that doesn't use the shoe? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 19th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Is there an on-camera mount that doesn't use the shoe?

Hi all,
While I'm not out of time yet, at this point funding for my doc doesn't look all that promising (meaning no pro crew) so I'm debating the feasibility of what/how much I could pull off alone. To that end, in evaluating what's possible, if I had to shoot kids being awakened outdoors, in the mnts. at night, and I had a small light on the shoe, is there any way to mount a shotgun on the camera as well? I'm thinking I'll have to put up a boom stand otherwise, and the more I'm lugging around and setting up, the more I'm going to ruin getting them being awakened, as I'd likely accidentally wake them up, while setting up. (These are kids who have to be tested in the middle of the night for medical reasons.)

Just curious,
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 12:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Use a mighty wondercam Mini Rover. They are available at B&H for $50. The link i'm posting is for the pictures, the prices are in Canadian so don't have heart failure.

The mini rover is at the bottom of the page
http://www.dvshop.ca/camera/videosmith.html

There is an AT shoe adapter that will allow you to use an AT8415 if you so desire.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=68160&is=REG
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Bryan, is the Mini Rover only for handheld use? Is there any way I can I use a monopod with it? The DVX isn't great for shooting handheld for long periods of time. At least not in my wimpy grip.
Old January 19th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #4
Trustee

There is a tripod mount on the bottom. I use the mini rover on my tripod, monopod and marzpak. It'll also allow you a much better handheld style and rigidity. try it and you'll see what i'm talking about.

It enables you to mount radio receivers, mics and it allows you to form a shake free vcamera mount with your upper body.

To hold the camera up so that you can use the viewfinder, your elbows and upper arms will be locked and the camera can only move with your upperbody. people usually scoff at first and after they try it always prefer it.
Old January 19th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Wow, I'm sold. Will order it and let you know what I think. Thanks a bunch, Bryan. It's exactly what I was hoping to find.
Old January 19th, 2004, 06:54 PM   #6
Major Player

I like that one also, but if you want a second option then take a look at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=142740&is=REG which you can get in a variety of wacky colors... or you can tame your flashy tendencies and just keep it pro/black.

$39.95 'aint bad for what it is...

I had no idea about the other option when I bought this. It fits on a DVX pretty well though.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #7
Trustee

The stratos is nice but not the same animal. it doesn't have the tripod mount on the bottom. It also looks as though the shoe might interfere with the camera shoe.

The rover is built like a brick poop house and has no adjustable camera mount. this makes it rock solid. I looked at the stratos grips and the flip frames before i found the mini rover.

The rover has a wide aluminum camera pad with an anti twist pin. The mounting screw is counter sunk leaving a flat base. I sometimes mount a quick release plate to the bottom so i can quickly swap from monopod to tripod.

The build of the stratos is nice, i wish they would have made the shoe "boom" shorter and included an anti twist pad.
Old January 20th, 2004, 01:17 AM   #8
Major Player

I'll send you some pictures if you like. It doesn't have the locking pin that's ahead of the screw in pin... the one that locks the bracket to your camera, but it does have two really thick rubber pads that are recessed into channels that were milled out of the aluminum... so it's pretty hard to twist.

Also closer to the grip there is a 1/4" and a 3/8" threaded hole next to each other... on the bottom side it's totally flat. I can put my quick release tripod plate right on it and it works perfectly... tripod or not.

The little flash boom arm thingy isn't in the way on a DVX, but I can't vouch for other camera models. The fact that you can position your mic (or two mics) anywhere along that little grooved top arm is nice... but once I get a Baby Ball Gag in I may find that it doesn't yield enough room. If that happens I can loosen the nut at the top of the "grip post" and raise the mic boom arm.

Stratos made a bigger model also but I wanted the smallest possible effective bracket... and this meets the needs of a DVX really well.

Also BEAS... it has a big badge right on the side of the (aircraft aluminum) arm... MADE IN CANADA.

How 'bout that aye?
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 01:21 PM   #9
Major Player

Sima bracker similar

I have a Sima accessory shoe/bracket that I purchased for use with my Palmcorder. It was only $15 or so, and it adds two shoe mounts -- one horizontal (for a stereo mic, for example) and one vertical (for a mono shotgun or for a light). I haven't used it with my DVC80. I'll try it tonight and let you know if it fits. It is also tripod compatible. I shot a wedding with it last October, and it came in very handy.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio