35mm lenses on HD10? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old March 6th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #16
Trustee

David: >>are you considering making such a device?<<

Yes! But I'm not very proficient in Optics at all, so I'd like to have some proven, step-by-step instructions with the parts numbers etc. before I begin, if at all possible...
Old March 6th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #17
New Boot

Alex,

I'm not exactly an optical engineer either but I have been surprised how relatively easy it has been to create a contrivance that works, at least, acceptably well. We're feeling pretty confident that we will use some version of such an adapter on our upcoming project for at least some if not all of the shots. How the with and without shots would intercut remains to be seen.

If you were only a bit closer I ask you to drop by and show you what we've been able to cobble together thus far.

My name, for the record, is David Wilson (not Wislon) - a long standing miss-type I just recently discovered and am just now trying to correct.
Old March 7th, 2004, 03:12 AM   #18
Regular Crew

i too am constructing a mini35 adapter for my hd10. its almost done, i just have to finish refining my GG after finals this week. i plan on shooting a short film with it after its constructed. i bought a +10 macro lens for it as the close up focus wasnt good enough on its own. so far tests have been promising....definately will need a lot of light. and right now im using a 50mm f2.8-16 lens. i should have some tests to show once i get all the scratches out of my GG and get everything cemented together.
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:29 AM   #19
Trustee

Follow Focus on HD10

Original HD10 lens system, although controlled by servomotor, does Not accept remote controls a-la LANC. Also, manual rotation of the focus ring has the weirdest lag that makes it impossible to hit the same focus marks twice.

35mm adapter should fix this problem, as the quality lens is now attached externally. So manual follow focus should be no problem with the adapter (what are you guys using for FF?)

But let's go 1 step further. I noticed that practically *all* of the optics is AutoFocus lenses - which means, we can control the focusing servomotor inside electronically, and possibly have a completely electronic follow-focus system - with the advantage of *not* touching the camera/rig while focusing.

Is this feasible? Has it been implemented? Am I crazy and this can't be done?
Old March 8th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #20
Major Player

yes

Auto focus 35mm lens's usually have a drive socket that the camera body turns. It would be possible to disable the electrical connection to the video cameras focus motor, and bring the connection outside the JVC to a connector. A small gear motor could be mounted to the 35mm lens and the JVC could then focus that. Most people would not be keen on hacking the camera like that, I think.
This would solve some of the problem of getting good focus with the short DOF lens.
-Les
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:19 PM   #21
Trustee

Les, that is not what I meant.

I proposed to use AutoFocus motor in 35mm lens as means of Follow Focus.

The question is, whether anyone knows what protocol AF servomotors use in 35mm lenses, so then I could make a totally independent (from the camera) electronic device that would be programmable to do Follow Focus electronically.

Just to clarify: I'm not talking autofocus at all.
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #22
Major Player

35mm AF lens's don't have a drive motor. The camera body has the motor in it. It's driven by a coupling to the lens.
See my above post.
-Les
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:30 PM   #23
Trustee

Thanks for clarification... I guess I got it backwards. So there's a Sensor, and not a servomotor in 35mm SLR lens? In this case, looks like the manual FollowFocus rig would be the best bet.

BTW, I'm working on the aldu35 adapter, but with a twist. I'm using old Nikon F body (same like F2) as SLR lens adapter and GG holder.

For GG, instead of the UV filter, I currently use D-type Nikon focusing screen (FS).

My current version has the FS removed from its position on top of the camera, and rather attached straight behind the lens, where the film is supposed to be. (Of course, the 45deg. mirror must be out of the way as well).

This way, HD10 is positioned straight behind the adapter, and not at right angle vertically to the Nikon - as others did.

Advantage: the whole rig can be mounted normally on tripod etc.

Current problem: the ground glass (brand new focusing screen) does not seem to be fine enough. HD10 can clearly see the grainy structure of it. Waiting for the fine aluminum oxide powder to try and improve the FS so the grain is no longer detectable.

Will report on progress (anyone else?)
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #24
Major Player

No sensor in the AF lens either. The focus is determined by the optics and sensors in the SLR body as well.

Back to what I thought was your intent: I like the idea of driving the focus of an external lens from the JVC's servo signal. It would not know that it is actually focusing an outside lens.

-Les
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:03 PM   #25
Trustee

Off-topic, but I just need to understand... you wrote:

>>No sensor in the AF lens either.

So no sensor and no servomotor in the SLR lenses? Then what the electric contacts on the AF SLR lens are for?
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:29 PM   #26
Major Player

F-stop info, and lens ID, perhaps focal length. Depends on manufacturer.
Do you have an AF SLR lens? Take it off, look on the back, and see the drive coupling, it may look like something a small screwdriver would turn.
Trust me, manufacturers are smart, they don't want to put a motor in each lens, when one in the body will cover any number of lenses. Same for focus electronics.
-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Raskin : Off-topic, but I just need to understand... you wrote:

>>No sensor in the AF lens either.

So no sensor and no servomotor in the SLR lenses? Then what the electric contacts on the AF SLR lens are for? -->>>
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #27
Trustee

OK, while waiting on the aluminum oxide powder to refine the ground glass, I decided to make yet another experiment.

I thought - why not use the 35mm photo film itself as ground glass?

It's already of the correct size and acceptable granularity.

So I shot uniformly white and grey out-of-focus surfaces of different intensities, and developed the film.

Result: failure. The film does not seem to "catch" and diffuse the light from the lens like Ground Glass does. Instead, I can see right through the film and into the lens, no matter how dark or light the film is. Bummer!

Seems like aluminum oxide and refined Ground Glass is about the only option now. I'll report on progress when the powder arrives.
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:43 AM   #28
Trustee

UPDATE

Seems like with HDV resolution, the GG grain issue becomes catastrophic.

After some experimentation with grounding of the UV filter glass, which proved still unacceptable even with the very fine grit (started with 9, finished with 25), I'm waiting on the Bosscreen material... but I don't hold my breath for it either.

So, is there positively no way to eliminate GG altogether? What if we use not 35mm SLR, but 16mm movie primes, thus making the "projected" image smaller and closer to the native size of the prosumer cams' CCD?

I'm willing to rip the JD10's original lens system out and replace it with the PL-mount and 16mm Zeiss Superspeed lenses. Why won't it work?
Old April 1st, 2004, 01:07 PM   #29
Major Player

If you removed the lens, the camera control electronics would error out and probably lock up the camera.
Why not just move the GG to get rid of the grain?
-L
Old April 1st, 2004, 02:08 PM   #30
Trustee

Les, moving GG means noise, possible vibration, definitely *much* larger size than static GG system, much lheavier weight of the adapter, and power concerns.

Will I go rotating GG route? Yes, if Bosscreen won't work. Supposedly, this should be clarified tomorrow, Friday.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U