Libec T58/H35 [review] at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 13th, 2004, 03:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Libec T58/H35 [review]

just bought a new tripod for my XL1s...
Libec's T58 sticks & H35 head.

i could not be happier. very steady on all surfaces and no sticking (or whatever the termonology is) on lock release. the quick release is indeed that, quick. it secures down solidly and definately, so i am not worried at all when i mount the camera.

there is no control for the tension on pans, but i don't care, because Libec has set the tension so high (read: stiff) that i can get super slow pans easily. (i have no need for a fast pan, i'm not shooting "NYPD Blue" over here.)

set-up and tear-down is super fast with this rig. and the case is simple and stylish.

the finish is a cool grey, looks very pro.

the sticks are solid, dual on top and tri on lower once extended.

nice sized claw ball built into the head makes leveling easy.

no slide plate, but not needed for the XL1s due to the strong tension of the head.

i could not find a review of this exact set-up already posted so i thought i would share. 5 stars.
Matthew Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:01 AM   #2
Wrangler

You got it where and for how much if you don't mind sharing.
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

purchased in kansas city from S&S Video (very reputable)

price was somewhere between $500-$600
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:15 AM   #4
Wrangler

Thank you. Please keep us informed as you use the tripod a while. Is it a true fluid head do you know?
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

yes, the head is a true fluid head.

however, you cannot control the strength of the pan, and, it's hella slow, actually too slow for many usual needs.

for this reason, i am revising my above post with this statement:

the sticks are moderately stable, and the head lacks the ability to adjust the pan tension. this, in itself, makes the entire rig usless.
buy something else. avoid Libec.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:15 AM   #6
Major Player

Wow! The honeymoon is bearly over, and already, divorce proceedings are underway!
Old April 15th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #7
New Boot

I know this thread is a year old, but I just came back from tripod shopping, and was very impressed with the exact same Libec T58/H35 combo (found this thread doing a search).

I had previously thought that Libec was low-end and hadn't even considered it, but was surprised at how well built it was (or seemed to be?)

It doesn't have any drag controls, but it was very smooth when panning zooms. I spent many years honing my jedi-like panning abilities, and found the Vision 3 annoyingly restrictive (especially the return-to-level -- who forgets to lock-off the tripod?) Maybe I just need practice with it?

I had my heart (and budget) set on a Vinten Vision 3 (or Sachtler DV6), but the Libec is half the weight -- which is important because I'll be doing a lot of schlepping and air travel. As well, I just don't need all of the features of the Vision 3. I do however need smooth pans -- which the Libec delivered. However the low price (1/3rd of the Vision 3) raises alarms. The Vinten Pro5 was a little cheaper than the Libec, but didn't feel as good (I understand the reason for the Manfrotto rumours.)

What did you find particularly distasteful about the Vinten? was it the difficulty is performing even pans?

Do they have any reliability issues? Did it get sticky?

Anyone else have any experience with this combo?
Andrei Kuvchinov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads