HD formating - HFS+ vs NTFS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:11 AM   #1
New Boot

HD formating - HFS+ vs NTFS

Just got a new external hard drive (LaCie 250GB), and have learned that the two file system formats seem to be completely incompatible.

I'll be transfering between PC and MAC, and don't want just one big FAT32 drive (too many limitations). I can't even separate into HFS+ and FAT32 partitions from either my PC (win2K) or MAC (OS 10.2.8).

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get around this problem? Do I have to buy some kind of Mac file reading software for my PC?

Thanks for the help!
Kieth Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 02:43 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

There is some mac reading software around indeed. Can't you
make two parititions with a mac one with HFS+ and one with
FAT32? You can then convert the FAT32 partition on a Windows
computer to NTFS if you want.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 05:16 PM   #3
Contributor

Just a thought: Can you not just use plain old HFS? Should work on macs and (I think) can be mounted on the PC with some software. The main advantage of HFS+ over HFS has to do with small files, not a concern for digital video I guess.
Old March 28th, 2004, 05:46 PM   #4
Contributor

You can use FAT32 partitions, but try not to go larger than 128GB (so try two partitions) and avoid OS9 at all costs (it can corrupt FAT32 partitions over 32GB). Even though Microsoft's disk utility will not let you format larger than 32GB, there seems to be a way to do it and you can mount them safely under Win2K and WinXP.
Old March 29th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #5
New Boot

i tried and tried to make two partitions.. one HSF+ and one FAT32, but just couldn't figure out how (on either the PC or MAC!)

whenever i partitioned in one system, i couldn't bring the drive over to the other system to recognize the other format.

two FAT32 partitions just doesn't seem like a good idea for me.. i don't want to be stuck with the file size limitation. i think you can't have files bigger than 2GBs.

i've recently heard that OS 10.3 can partially read NTFS format though. can anyone confirm this? i'd love to be able to just format the whole drive (250GB) as NTFS and be able to edit from my mac.
Kieth Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #6
Contributor

> i've recently heard that OS 10.3 can partially read NTFS
> format though. can anyone confirm this? i'd love to be
> able to just format the whole drive (250GB) as NTFS
> and be able to edit from my mac.

If it's true that would be great. Try making a small NTFS partition on the PC and then if the Mac can read it you are set!

--
i.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC