In-Camera 16:9 (squeeze mode) .vs Cropped Letterbox Examples at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 25th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

In-Camera 16:9 (squeeze mode) .vs Cropped Letterbox Examples

Even before buying my DVX100A, I had been wanting to buy the DVX100 since it first appeared at WEVA back in 2002. Since then, I have been doing as much as possible with available clips and involved with forum discussions in all matters relating to this fine camera.

Shortly after buying the DVX100A, I made a determination based on my understanding as well as first hand use with the DVX100A, on how Squeeze Mode is superior in quality as well as workflow to letterbox mode. I post most everywhere about this and why I believe it is so.

I was asked by Barry Green yesterday over on 2-pop to do a comparison shot between these two modes and post the results. He want some live moving tree leaves, but since there are no tree leaves here right now, I just did a couple of frame grabs of at test chart.

So, for any interested in which is better, squeeze mode or letterbox, you might want to go this link and read my explanations and take a look for yourself at the images.

Here's the link: http://www.uemforums.com/2pop/ubbthr...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Hope this helps any who are wondering which to use for 16:9 shooting.

-Rodger
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Very interesting. I have imported the images in Vegas, resized the squeezed images to 720*480. The letter box has more resolution than the others images. S-pline tends to makes some problems, like distorsion or aliasing.

I would like to have more tests like this on the differents gamma.

It could help folks like me to decide to update or no from DVX100 to DVX100A.
Marc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 11:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

squeezed image vs anamorphic adaptor

Just wondering about the anamorphic vs squeeze image comparison.
If the "squeezed image" is digitally squeezed, wouldn't the anamorphic adaptor be cleaner since it is optical.
maybe the drawback for the anamorphic adaptor is that it cannot use filters etc, as easier than on the normal lens.
Has anyone worked out a comparison of the anamorphic vs. squeeze image quality?
Thanks
takeshi
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi there.

Im trying to understand why squeeze mode is being compared to letterbox mode?One is for 16x9 and the other for letterboxed 4x3.
.....Am I missing something?

Please would someone explain!!

-Nick
Nick Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #5
New Boot

I am trying to figure out squeeze mode also .. like how much rez am I losing .. I can tell some is gone. and
I know in letter box I am just chopping the top and bottom out but whats left looks sharper to me( of course I am a newbie camera owner and I could be doing something wrong). However does squeeze spread across a wide screen proper?

michael Petro
Michael Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The reason for the comparison is to help determine if shooting squeeze mode (in-camera 16:9) will produce higher quality then shooting letterbox or 4:3 mode and cropping to 16:9 in post.

Alot has been said in the referenced post I mentioned in my inital post starting this topic. If you intersted, you might just click and read the post I linked.

-Rodger
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Nick Campos : Hi there.

Im trying to understand why squeeze mode is being compared to letterbox mode?One is for 16x9 and the other for letterboxed 4x3.
.....Am I missing something?

Please would someone explain!!

-Nick -->>>

Nick, The reason that everyone is comparing 16x9 and letterboxed 4x3 is because they start out the exact same way, and have the potential to end up the same, with different results. To clarify, both 16:9 and 4:3 use only a part of the 3ccds to produce the image. both use the center part of the ccd much like the way you see a cropped 16:9 image on a 4:3 TV. THe difference between these images is that 4:3 stays croped within the 4:3 frame, thus makig it about 360x720 pixels (correct me on the pixel count guys). The squeezed mode takes that same image and actually stretches the vertical resolution back to 480pixels. You can then edit the footage in a true 16:9 timeline having the full vertical resolution to work with. On a 4:3 television, these two images will look the same (after having gone to dvd or back out to tape after editing). However, you can take your 4:3 image and stretch it the same way in post making it 480pixels high as well. This is what is being compared, whether stretching it in camera (before compression) or stretching it after compresseion in you post production will give you better results. And looking qat Rodgers test results it seems clear that squeeze mode is the winner, which I actually leave my camera in 90% of the time.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 08:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I would say there is (or was) really no doubt in-camera 16:9 (squeeze mode) is the winner over letterbox or 4:3 mode in overall quality. It is however less of a winner then I had predicted it would be. None the less it is superior quality-wise and add to that the easier/quicker work in post for true 16:9 output and it really make almost no sense to shoot in anything but squeeze mode when final output is slated for 16:9.

About the only reason for any other mode is if you were going to tape where you need the letterbox bars or really feel the need to have some head room to adjust your 16:9 crop window in post.

I do wish someone would do some similar tests using the DVX100A in squeeze mode against the early model DVX100 using the anamorphic adapter and also the DVX100A with the adapter. It would be a very telling test for sure and put to rest the idea of "how much better" the anamorphic produces 16:9 footage.

My belief is that due to the focus issues with the anamorphic and to some degree barrel distortion, those of us lucky enough to have the DVX100A are already doing the best 16:9 right from the camera without the anamorphic lens.

Can someone please prove me wrong??? I'm sure that a bunch of DVX100A users would like to know for sure.

-Rodger
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #9
New Boot

Oh,...I see...So let me get this straight.

For 16x9 delivery,squeeze mode wins.(obviously)
And for letterboxed 4x3 delivery,squeeze mode???...

Sorry for the hassles,but Barry had me convinced 4x3 letterbox was the way to go for 4x3 letterbox delivery.

thanks.
-Nick
Nick Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #10
Barry Wan Kenobi

For 16:9 delivery, squeeze mode can deliver a slightly higher quality output than stretched letterbox, primarily because you avoid a recompression cycle on post-processing.

For 4:3 delivery, letterbox mode will deliver higher quality than unsqueezed/letterboxed squeeze mode.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #11
Major Player

When i shoot in squeeze mode, i can capture into premiere fine, but when i take it into after effects things fall apart, it goes back to the squished look or squeezes it again.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #12
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ben Gurvich : When i shoot in squeeze mode, i can capture into premiere fine, but when i take it into after effects things fall apart, it goes back to the squished look or squeezes it again.

Does anyone else have this problem? -->>>

Just right click on the file in after effects and click, interpret footage. Check the 16:9 box and your set. or you can just use the transform controls to spread it out. There really is no difference the way the file is save whether it be 4:3 or 16:9, it is the same resolution (720x480). The difference comes into the 16:9 flags that are set to tell your NLE or whatever you use that the pixels need to be 1.2 instead of .9 for normal dv. I think those numbers are right, but it's somewhere around there.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:41 AM   #13
New Boot

I think Rodger is right...

I think the real question is what's the different between the squeeze mode compare with the AG-LA7200 Anamorphic Lens adapter? I think for utlimate picture quality, the anamorphic lens maybe a little better since the optical lens do the trick... but how much different? a 9 to 10... Is that worth the USD 800?

By the way, once you use the squeeze mode... the source will automatically add-in a 16:9 flags - is that correct? If yes... why the adobe premiere can reconize it and the adobe aftereffect can not? it really don't make any sense...

Question... if i open the premiere in 720x480 and import the squeeze mode inside... and make the clip set as it original aspect ratio... will the clip transform back to 4x3???

Ed
Edmond Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 08:03 PM   #14
Major Player

A good reason for shooting in squeeze mode is that it is most compatible between 4:3 and 16:9 sets when the delivery is DVD. The DVD player automatically adjusts for the set format and will play the video at full screen on HDTV and letterboxed on SDTV. If you shoot letterbox and put it on DVD, it will pillarbox on 16:9 sets...most folks object to that.

BTW, here is a technical report that has been posted before that explains very well the technical aspects of DV.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant