"Digital Optics" Wide angle adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 16th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #1
New Boot

"Digital Optics" Wide angle adapter

For the XL-1
Anyone comment?
Quality?
Distortion?
Anything I should know before buying?!!?
Scott T Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 05:22 AM   #2
Wrangler

Generally speaking, with optics you get what you pay for, and sometime less.

That said, do you have a URL to this item.
Old April 17th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #3
New Boot

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...809492398&rd=1
Old April 17th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #4
Wrangler

Scott, what makes you think these lenses are the correct size for your XL1, other than the title of the item? Doesn't that require a 72mm thread? There is no way you're going to get a telephoto, wide angle, plus a "free" tripod for $120.

I have what appears to be this same .45x Titanium WA lens for my PDX-10, and I actually like it (although I paid about $100 for the wide adaptor alone). There is noticable barrel distortion, but that's what one might expect with a .45x lens. But the PDX-10 has as 37mm filter thread and accepts very low cost lens adaptors. The claim "The lens attaches easily and directly to any camera or camcorder" is absurd, there is no 'one size fits all' type of wide angle lens adaptor.

I would expect a decent quality 72mm wide adaptor to cost many hundreds of dollars. This looks very suspicious to me...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #5
New Boot

I agree... I think I am going to buy one and check it out regardless. I will post the turnout here. I really need the wide angle though... i am just piss poor right now.
Old April 17th, 2004, 03:54 PM   #6
Wrangler

There is nothing about the lens that says "quality". Everything says "cheap." It may be Ok for casual home shooting, but do not expect professional results comparable to the quality of the XL1.

Not clear if it will properly fit the XL1 without vignetting. They do not give the thread size, and the XL1 has a large thread size, 72mm.

Quality 72mm wideangle adapters for the XL1 tend to run in the $350 to $600 range depending on whether or not you get zoom-through.

For a ~2x telextender you can add a similar amount

Good luck, and you may find another taker on Ebay if you and decide you don't like it.
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #7
New Boot

I JUST got the lens in the mail and did some test shots... IT looks GREAT! I am SHOCKED at the quality. Minimal distortion. The ONLY thing I can say negative about it is that in the four corners you can see the outside of the lens so it has some black rounded shadows, but I am going to just chop off the top and bottom for a widescreen look. So that won't even affect me. Also with the top and bottom chopped I will BARELY even notice the distortion on the sides in what I am doing so I am STOKED. 130 bucks for 2 great lenses a cleaner kit and a mini tripod (that's kinda useless with the XL1, but who cares.)
Old June 6th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #8
New Boot

Scott, is there any chance of you posting before/after shots with and without the wide adapter? I'm curious about the amount of distortion and visible corners. Also, can you use the wide adapter in conjunction with a lens hood? If so, does the hood do any good with the glass sticking out farther?
Jason Steussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #9
New Boot

I have no way to host any pics, and The corners when fully zoomed out are very much there, but for what I am doing (fake widescreen) it doesn't effect me at all. The hood is of not use to you with the lens.
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:02 AM   #10
Trustee

email me the pictures and i can host it for you. i would like to see the results of the lenses as i'm interested in buying similar cheap widescreen solutions as well =).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog