Advice on best settings please XL1.6? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 30th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #1
New Boot

Advice on best settings please XL1.6?

Hi

A newbie seeking some advice and help?

I was about to buy the XL 1.6 extender as I have done a couple of test runs filming some polo matches (for a new venture!) without having the extender - using the standard lens that came with our XL1s, and found two things. Firstly, we really need slightly more zoom, and secondly I found because of the nature of the game - it's not possible to zoom out to a fixed point and then back again because the zooming requirements are constantly changing. I found even without the extender that I was losing focus. I was using the camera's basic shooting option (easy recording)

My questions are:
1) Can someone please recommend the best setting for this sort of work - Auto/Manual/TV or ? and with whichever is best, what further settings need to be tried or adjusted?

2) Will it be a waste of money buying the extender - I see several negative reports.

3) Should we be looking at one of the manual lenses available? or buying the adaptor and fitting another type of Canon zoom lens - or are these for 'stills' only?

Any help and guidance would be greatly apprecieted
TIA
John
John C. Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi John

I have the 1.6 Extender and I don't have that problem of losing focus when I zoom out. I try to avoid showing zooms in my final product. I use the zoom mainly for re-composing and re-framing. In the cases where I do zooms, it is done very slow.

1) I always use the 'A' setting where both the aperture and shutter speed is locked down. If I need to adjust the exposure, I always "pull" aperture with my left thumb which is always riding the aperture wheel on the XL1. This is for both normal and using the 1.6 extender. I also set autofocus off and where I need to do quick refocus I would tap on the "Push AF" button with my left pinkie. I do a lot of sports (Dragon Boat racing for example) and weddings where I need to get deep "into" the rowers face, arms, oars, etc.

2) So far I haven't had any major problem with the extender. The good thing with this device is that it goes between the Xl1(s) body and the lens thereby allowing you to continue using existing filters, matte box, etc.
Good luck
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:14 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm confused, I thought "A" stood for automatic and that you can't lock anything down except for focus and exposure (if you select lock exposure).
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Whoops

What I meant to say was I lock down the exposure by depressing the "Exposure Lock" on the left side of the camera. Here I have a choice of manually adjusting the exposure via the shutter or aperture.
I do this under the 'A' mode.
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:20 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Norman for your advice - I'll give it a try.

Randy - take your point ;-) Did say I was just learning, although I will have someone doing the work who is quite experienced. Actually I do think the manual is somewhat thin on the ground regards this aspect
Best
John
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:48 AM   #6
Major Player

>>Actually I do think the manual is somewhat thin on the ground regards this aspect<<

Agreed, I learned far more on this forum than I did the manual....thanks forum!
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:09 AM   #7
New Boot

Yep I concur - thanks forum!

On this setting issue - are you saying then that I should indeed start by using 'A'?

Oh, and have now also purchased a VHS Video on 'using the XL1 (58 mins long) on eBay from some guy in the UK - will see if that helps a bit ;-)) The only other training item that I have seen is a DVD from the States - but the write up on this webboard is not that encouraging - so I'll give that a miss!!

Although in the end, nothing beats 'hands-on' experience I think - same with most things in life hey?
Best, John
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:38 AM   #8
Major Player

>>Although in the end, nothing beats 'hands-on' experience I think -<<
Absolutely, if you have the time, experiment in "M" (manual) mode. I don't use "A" any more unless I'm in a "run 'n gun" situation with the lighting changing drastically and often.
Good luck and have fun (and patience : ),
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog