AG-DVX100A vs. XL-1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 11th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #1
New Boot

AG-DVX100A vs. XL-1s

Which camera would be a better investment for a college film student.

I'm not looking for a "what are you looking for in a camera" response... at this point I'm not not sure, I'm looking for peoples overall impressions

Thanks
Dan
Dan Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:28 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Camcorders are not investments. They depreciate more rapidly than automobiles.

The XL1S is a system camera, intended to be used with a variety of add-ons such as lenses, viewfinders, shoulder supports, LCD displays, etc. It would be better suited for a small video production business owner than a college student.

The DVX100A is an all-in-one camcorder, much newer than the XL1S. Since it's not modular like the XL1S, you don't really need a lot of extra gear. Personally I think it's better suited for you but that's you're own call to make.

Don't make a decision without trying each one out in person. The one that *feels right* in your hands is the right one for you. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:35 AM   #3
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : ...Don't make a deecision without trying each one out in person. The one that *feels right* in your hands is the right one for you. Hope this helps, -->>>

If you're close to a store that carries both cameras, (like B & H) you really should check them out in person. Both cameras are capable of great images, but as Chris said, they each have their advantages.

A year ago I was faced with the same choice, and seeing them both in action next to each other was the only real way to make an informed decision. For me, an independent filmmaker, the choice became easy as soon as I saw the footage produced by both; the DVX100 was better for my needs.

The DVX100's most notable feature is its ability to record in 24 frames per second, which produces a film-like image. If you're a film student, this will definitely make your productions in school feel more like traditional fiction, as opposed to the regular "video" look of news broadcasts and "reality" TV.

That said, XL1s footage can be converted to 24fps using 3rd party software such as DVfilm Maker or Magic Bullet, but both require rendering on the computer, whereas the DVX does it instantly.

The XL1s can change lenses and viewfinders, which is a big plus, but can also get very expensive. the DVX's lens is already quite wide when fully zoomed out, so you might not need an additional wide-angle lens. Both cameras offer a great ammount of image control, and offer superb color and detail.

My opinion would be to go for the DVX100, because you mention you're a film student. But you should really check them out both in person before plunking down $3000.

Hope this helps!
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Both are excellent cameras and I don't think you would go wrong with either. That being said if you have no need to use different lenses I would go with the DVx100A as it's just newer technology. As Chris said though a camera isn't an investment. It's probably more similar to buying a concert ticket to Milli Vanilli.
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #5
New Boot

thanks for the replies... I'm unsure of any stores around here to check them out at... does anyone know of any chains that could carry these models

I tried best buy, tweater, and a couple other electronics stores. Evene though some of them showed the item on their website they didn't carry them.

Anyone know of anystores i could try. I'd be able to get to chicago to see them. Seems like there would have to be a store in chicago that would display them.
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Dan ... you'd have better luck with a specialty camera shop and/or video equipment distributor. The big retails stores won't carry the higher end models because they know the common buyer will not purchase large quantities of prosumer goods. Overhead, insurance for these types of items ... all of that starts to figure in. Yellow pages and the Internet will be your best bet to hunt down and locate the best dealers in your area.

K. Mikel Low
Mikel Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #7
New Boot

I just found a place downtown im going to check out tommorrow

--------------
anyone know the difference between the

AG-DVX100A Mini-DV Camcorder Upgraded Version

and

AG-DVX100A Mini-DV Camcorder

the websites don't explain the differnce... they apear to have the same specs... the only differnce that shows is a $500 cheaper pricetag

http://www.google.com/froogle?q=AG-DVX100A&scoring=p

this is where i found them
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #8
Warden

The difference is the result in comparing a company from the UK with one in the US. differences in fees and taxes account for the majority of the difference. I also urge to check out our sponsor. Use the link in my signature to get to their sites.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #9
New Boot

so the cameras are exactly the same?
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #10
Space Hipster

yes, they are. The DVX100A is the "upgraded version" of the DVX100.
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Actually there are 20 some odd improvements to the dvx-100a over the dvx-100 in the electronics of the camera. go pick up the july copy of Camcorder and computer video. They list all of the improvments.
Brian Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #12
Warden

Brian, Dan was comparing two ads which feature the same camera. One retailer calls it the DVX100a Upgrade and the other just refers to it as the DVX100a. Both cameras, in the comparison are the same. The DVX100 and DVX100a are indeed two different models and has numerous improvements and refinements. Thanks for the link.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:40 PM   #13
Major Player

I feel it's only fair to point out the truth of the "lens options" when it comes to the XL1. Everyone ALWAYS mentions the interchangeable lens mount on the XL1 as a selling point. In my opinion the reality is, it's not much of an advantage at all.

Consider this:

The XL1's lens mount is a proprietary mount. So only lenses made especially for the XL1 can be attached directly to the camera. The total number of lenses Canon manufactures for the XL1? 3. One, is the standard 16x servo lens that comes with the camera. The other is the 3x wide angle. And lastly there's the Manual 16x. That's not really alot of options. Since the camera comes with the standard 16x servo, you really have two other "options".

Now I know someone's going to chime in with the EF adapter story. But unless you own a full line of EF still photography lenses, and don't mind the 7x increase in focal length, I think the EF adpter is pointless as a real "lens option".

And yes, there are a couple third party modified lenses for the XL1 which don't offer anything more than the Canon Manual 16x.

Oh right, the Mini35... I guess if you already owned a full set of 35mm motion picture lenses (or had plenty of money to burn renting a set) and could justify spending three times the price of the camera ($10,000) on a way to put a piece of dirty glass between a PL mount prime and the XL1's CCD's then you may have something there... Except that the Mini35 can also be attached to the PD150 and the DVX100 and the...

I'm not trying to be negative. But I have so many colleagues who have been suckered into buying the XL1 because "it has an interchangeable lens mount". Only to find that they never did buy a second lens for the camera and they never really had a need for another lens in the first place.

I agree that the XL1 and XL1S are both capable of producing decent 3CCD Digital Video. And in fact, I use to have an XL1 myself. But the XL1 is incredibly old. And horribly inferior in imaging capability and features compared to other cameras in today's 1/3" class.
Jon Fordham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant