HD10 vs PDX10, first impression, surprise, surprise.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 19th, 2004, 06:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD10 vs PDX10, first impression, surprise, surprise..

Just tried everything auto, to my surprise, HD10 actually rivals pdx10's color. I never expect HD10's color can be as good as 3 chips. It's not very saturated, but just about right, not too much not too less....
I need some more testing, especially in manual mode to decide which one is the keeper, I really want them both, but can't aford owning them at the same time...

First impression of HD10:
Good:
1. Great color
2. Good handling
3. Perfect resolution, man you gonna like this projected on a 150 inches screen
4. Lense is quite good (low distortion)

Bad:
1. OIS? Doesn't seem to work
2. Stupid capture program.
3. Tape transport is ok, but not as smooth as pdx10
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Love,

Good synopsis, keep us posted.

Troy
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

The HD10's OIS is all right, not as good as other OIS's on other cameras. I notice a little bit of a difference.

heath
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #4
Wrangler

Of course the HD-10 also costs about $800 more. JVC is to be commended for blazing a new trail with these cameras and they sound really interesting. But after reading a lot about them I think they are just more of a "science project" than I would want to deal with due to issues with editing, lack of manual control, etc. I am really anxious to see the next generation of HDV gear, but that seems about a year away still.

But I believe the HD10 will also shoot in DV mode, right? Have you tried comparing this to the PDX-10? That would seem to be more like apples to apples.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I was surprised by how well the DV mode looks. My friend and I have been editing stuff I've shot in DV mode, and it looks good to us!

heath
Old May 20th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I will do a side by side shooting comparison this weekend and post some result. Unfortunetely, this site seems do not support pic/clips posting, right?

HD vs DV does not make too much sense, I agree. But it makes sense to me at least. Since I do love my 1 month old PDX10, and, just start to fall in love with HD10....no doubt, the next generation HDV will be much better, I don't mind upgrade later, but I also what to enjoy some really nice stuff now...

I will also do a DV to DV test...about HD editing, Vegas seems pretty good at editing m2t files, I don't see too much problem.
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:22 PM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff :
But I believe the HD10 will also shoot in DV mode, right? Have you tried comparing this to the PDX-10? That would seem to be more like apples to apples. -->>>

So let me get this right.....a 'fair' comparison is one where a superior operating mode of a device is disabled to allow a device that doesn't have that capability to be compared on a more 'level playing-field'.......sort of like Equal Opportunity Guidelines.
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Nothing is created equal, so once you want to compare somthing, it's never 'fair' (unless you comapre same models, but why you want to do that when quality control is usually good nowadays.)

Many compare AVX100 to GL2 or PD170, they are so different too. AVX100 have 72mm lense which is a big advantage. You don't want to conver portion of it make it to be 62 or 52 to compare t others...

I agree they are so different animals, it does not make too much sense, I know it. I hapen to have these 2 things on hand, so the comparison shall help me decide which one to keep. (it will not help you to select if you're buying).
Old May 21st, 2004, 08:27 PM   #9
Wrangler

Actually my point was just that if you want to shoot HDV then get the HD-10. But if you want to shoot DV then compare the HD-10 in DV mode to another DV camera.
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:43 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

The HD10 in DV mode will lose out to most DV cameras.

heath
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #11
Major Player

Another option is to shoot HDV, then convert to DV (either letterboxed or cropped). I posted some samples a while back along with some methodology. I think the converted DV is much better than original DV - and you have HDV masters for the future. It's a bit more work though!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U