XL2 Wish List at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 18th, 2002, 10:36 AM   #1
Wrangler

XL-1S Wish List?

Chris as long as you are going to talk to Canon. One of the things I think would have been neat is a fully variable iris. Let the steps on the iris wheel actually change the iris in smaller steps. This would give the XL-1S a finer control over DOF (depth of field).

...Or...
Maybe I am just showing how little I know about controlling DOF.

Nathan Gifford

Old July 22nd, 2002, 06:29 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Are we talking XL2 here? Since the XL1s is already out.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2002, 06:35 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Hmm, well I must say I doubt this will happen but I can always ask. One thing that might help would be if they either combine the exposure adjustment wheel (above the audio VU meter) with the iris wheel, or re-position the exposure adjustment so that it's closer to the iris.

One thing, you could always grab the older Canon 14x manual zoom lens as it has an analog iris control ring, exactly what you're asking for.

The XL1S has been out for a year now, so it's probably safe to fire up an XL2 wish list. Flip-out LCD viewfinder, anyone? Where would you put it?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2002, 07:16 AM   #4
Wrangler

XL-2 Wish List?

Okay, now the XL-1S is out, what would you like to see on the XL-2? Anything to avoid?

I'm going to restrict mine to three:

1. Native 16x9 CCDs. I know that is an ugly subect, but if this system 16x9 the only thing left would be High Def.

2. Better frame mode. I am still somewhat leary of using frame mode. For Internet pubs I find frame a better choice. However, I do not know what projects I may have to convert to DVD or broadcast and frame mode could cause a problem.

3. Fully adjustable iris. That one seems the easiest to do (depending on how the lens feeds back the iris position) since the processor code might be the only modification.

So lets see what else users would want on the XL-2. Oh, I am going to include a 3a -- Support the current crop of lenses!!!

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2002, 07:38 AM   #5
Warden

I think if you go native 16:9 that will exclude the current crop of lenses. So, now you're going to have to decide if you want evolutionary growth of the XL1, XL1s or revolutionary change, XL2. If you go revolutionary, some accessories may not be compatible. Maybe you should have two threads, to cover either possibility.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2002, 08:20 AM   #6
Contributor

list

3:2 ccd 1920 X 1280 photo capture

1920 X 1080 hd 50 mbit (Frame e/o field mode) 24 25 30 FPS

1280 X 720 HD 50 mbit (Frame mode) 24 25 30 FPS

1536 X 1152 to 720 X 576 pal 25/50 mbit (Frame e/o field mode) 24 25 FPS

1600 X 1200 to 720 X 480 ntsc 25/50 mbit (Frame e/o field mode) 24 30 FPS

4 audio ch 48Khz 16 bits
8 audio ch 32Khz 12 bits
8 audio ch 48Khz 16 bits 2:1 Compressed

surround recording

LeftBack LeftFront

Center

RightBack RightFront

Francesco
Francesco Marano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2002, 03:34 PM   #7
Wrangler

Well I meant XL-2...

A wish list is just that. I always wonder if the interview Chris had some time back with Canon was really true and the XL-2 will be high def?

One of the important things to take away from these lists is how powerful the XL package has become. From what I have read some of the lens adapters for XL are starting to look good like a good choice. One guy here on this list is using the EOS adapter and lenses. I think the concensus on the web was that EOS adapter was an accessory looking for a market.

Canon appears to have built a system that will truly be a winner due in no small part modular design that supports multiple lenses. If they are going to keep this system going and successful, then a good, realistic wish list will be helpful indeed.

Nathan Gifford
Old July 22nd, 2002, 10:08 PM   #8
Wrangler

In addition to the above:

Integrated vibration dampner for the mic.

A REAL shoulder mount/support!!!

Built in dual-battery capability would be cool.

Built in XLR jacks is a must.

And... AND... I'd like it available in black, marine blue, competition yellow, fire engine red, racing green, artic white, or brushed aluminum.

And maybe a cup holder.

I don't see how they could fit an LCD screen into the body attractively, but they could make it mountable/removable to a second accesory mount on the top or bottom of the camera. This should be included in the kit, since they probably only cost $25 to manufacture, but they'd probably sell it seperately for $300.

I'd also like to see it ship with a lens that has real manual controls, which cuts out their aftermarket, so ain't gonna happen.

Oh yeah, and I'd like it to be native 16:9 high definition, and still be in the same price range as the XL1s! This IS a wish list after all. :)

I
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2002, 03:11 AM   #9
RED Code Chef

True progressive scan and 24 fps would be on my wish list. A
higher resolution too. But those last two would break (mini)DV
standards, so that is probably not gonna happen.

Where to put a flip out lcd... Maybe they could make a system
where you can replace the viewfinder with an LCD. Perhaps they
should change the XL1s form factor anyway.

Real shoulder mount would be nice too. XLR always nice to have.
Phantom power anyone?

Old July 23rd, 2002, 10:36 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I would like to see:

1) A picture that is significantly better than the GL-2. Maybe pack 500,000 pixels into each CCD? I know the XL-1s has a lot of features that set it apart from the GL-2, but I would like a better picture for the $1,300 price difference.

2) How about three ND filter settings? Or at least one setting that is usefull. Right now I get about six stops which is just a little bit better than useless.

3) The front heavy design makes tripod balancing a little bit of work. This is more of a form factor and may be tough to resolve.

4) Can miniDV record four 16 bit 48khz audio tracks? I don't know if this a limitation of the XL-1 or the MiniDV format.

5) Make it available right now.

Nathan,

Where did you read Chris's discussion about an XL-2? I read one a long time ago, but I don't remember HD being discussed.

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2002, 12:24 PM   #11
RED Code Chef

No, miniDV standard doesn't allow for 4 16-bit audio channels.
They allow for the following:

- 2 16 bit 48 kHz channels
- 2 12 bit 32 kHz channels
- 4 12 bit 32 kHz channels

That is it unfortunately... They didn't design it with too much
mind on the future. It also doesn't allow for different framerates
and resolutions (as far as I can tell).

Time to bring on DV version 2 that allows custom resolutions,
frame rates, compression algortihms, unlimited audio channels
and what not....

Old July 24th, 2002, 02:17 AM   #12
Regular Crew

-24p recording, obviously. If this was implemented, then the true progressive scan CCDs required for it would also give a much better 30fps Frame Mode as well, which I think the XL2 should retain.

-True manual focus and zoom on included lens. Also compatibility with XL1 lenses.

Low, low low on my wish list but still under the "It would be cool" file:

-Flip out LCD screen with adjustable parameters to get that correct NTSC color, and a black and white viewfinder.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 05:00 AM   #13
Wrangler

I think it was a Real Interview

I haven't cruised the site, but (and pardon me if I am wrong Chris) Chris was asking a Canon guy about the XL-2. In essence the Canon guy then ( a couple of years ago) said there would not be an XL-2. If there were it would have to be hi-def.

BTW, I like the idea of custom colors for the XL-1 body...

Nathan Gifford
Old January 15th, 2003, 08:35 AM   #14
Major Player

Well I'm a little late on the subject but being as the camera isn't out yet why not.

Here's my list so far.

1. 24p

2. 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 guides

3. Virtual stock: the ability to use a computer software program to create presets for gamma, color curves, contrast, brightness and several other filters. Then saved as a certain file type to be stored on a removable media card (CF card?) and then put in the camera and dialed in. This would be nifty since we could all trade virtual film stocks over the internet to uptain certain "looks".

4. Ability to record video upside down. To be used with an external (optional) Canon EF lens adapter that has a piece of 24x36mm spinning ground glass in it. To use Canon EOS lenses at their true Depth of field. This would probably put the mini35 out of business when it comes to the XL2 but it would be a smaller unit making hand held shooting true 35mm DOF possible. Plus it's feasible and doesn't put the other XL1 lenses out to pasture.

5. Maybe a different color scheme to separate it from the XL1(s). Perhaps blue and silver and black.
Old January 15th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Standard Black and White Viewfinder---or one that is interchangeable and not so expensive.
Kelly Hoggard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog